Road trip San Antone to Monticello

2,005 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rex Racer
Aquin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to have plenty of time and the route is flexible. What should I see on the way? I will hang up and listen
MAGA
AG
1st stop should be the Chicken.
Wicked Good Ag
Are you talking from San Antonio Texas to Charlotteville Virginia?

If so i could give recommendations both directions and routes especially if flexible
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Michie Tavern, wineries near Monticello, Mobile, lake Charles gambling, Petersburg battleground national park, Appomattox Courthouse. Jamestowne, Yorktowne.
Aquin
AG
Yes, ol' San Antone to Charlottesville, VA. Welcome any suggestions.
Ulrich
I would start with the San Antonio airport then the Charlottesville airport, with a stop in Atlanta to check out the weird statues in that interminable hallway.
Wicked Good Ag
While i dont know if this is family trip or your interests, here is what i would look for

I am assuming round trip and i would go different ways and am including nothing in Texas as that can be done at any time

First would be Northern route

Stop at President Clinton's library in Little Rock...impressive
Drive to Memphis...check out Peabody hotel for duck march, Flight for a good meal and carry on on Beale Street to live music....they have a good zoo if you have kids and Corky's was good for BBQ. next day hit up Graceland before leaving

Nashville continues your journey with Country Music Hall of Fane and a backstage tour of the Ryman.

I am then partial to going to Kentucky and seeing Manmouth Caves, Louisville Slugger facility, and Churchill Downs race track

Try then to hit up the skyline drive until you reach Virginia area east of Charlotteville, or maybe the Blue Ridge Parkway although i think the more scenic portions are futher south on the road

While a slight detour back hitting Asheville would be amazing with breweries and hiking in and around Blowing Rock. This would allow you to hit up the bettr parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Return trip
Get to the coast from Charlotteville in time to hit up Colonial Williamsburg, an the amusement parks in that are before heading to the Outer Banks of the eastern portion of North Carolina,
Travel down the coastal area and spend a couple of days in Charleston and then Savannah with a stop in Beaufort SC. Hit up one of the islands either San Simeon, Jeckyl or Cumberland in that general area.

If you want to see Georgia then Athens is a great place along with Macon, Augusta for smaller towns and if in the area on a sunday President Carter still holds Sunday School classes to the public in Plains Ga. Atlanta has some exciting things to do but traffic is a complete pain.
Drive to New Orleans and then after a couple of days of exploration hit uo Laura Plantation or Oak Alley before your drive back to San Antonio

So many things to do and see that are historical as well as foodie places and pleanty options for kids if in tow

***get your tickets to Monticello before arriving because they were sold out the day we were there and only hit up the outside area and some others. Also a stop in Mount Vernon and Madison's home while in that northern area of Virginia is a must
JSKolache
AG
Drive straight to Lexington, KY & spend 2 or 3 days on bourbon trail
Wicked Good Ag
While I agree with the bourbon trail and forgot to include it you would be missing so many other things by foregoing everything until Lexington

So much to see you really need to give us interests you have for the trip
Aquin
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. We are interested in historic sites, old houses and gardens, but the bourbon trip is of interest. I figure we make it to Hot Springs the first day. We want to see the Garvan Woodland Gardens there. Certainly have Andy Jackson's house on the list. Maybe Blackdog Salvage in Roanoke.

I gather you better buy tickets to Monticello ahead of time. I hear there is a second story tour for an additional fee. Would like to see the work on Madison's house. Will go to Mt. Vernon and I think Monroe's house is close by.

Depending on the time available we will with return via the Biltmore or perhaps head down the coast to Charleston SC, but that may need to be a separate trip.

Now to return the favor, you might try Big Cedat south of Branson. You can rent a room, a cabin or a lodge. Several great restaurants on site. It is on the lake. Has an unbelievable golf course. Developed by Johnny Morris, the Bass Pro guy. He has a museum of natural history on site that is world class. NW Arkansas is very pretty. Trying to get the family to do Christmas there. Thanks again.
Wicked Good Ag
My parents retired to Hot Springs Village. I just left visiting my mother yesterday.
I visit at least three four time a year with the kids and the Galvan Gardens is beautiful. It does an amazing walk thru Christmas lights show every year that the kids ask about all the time, we do every year when up there during thnaksgiving or Christmas break.

The national park isnt much but the bathhouses and the Arlington hotel,although old, are a good thing to see and Lake Quatchita is stunning at times. I can recommend a couple of places we like to eat in the area if interested. Take a stroll along Central Ave and see some of the shops but avoid the tee shirt shops on the strip.

Always_Right
AG
Aquin said:

Yes, ol' San Antone to Charlottesville, VA. Welcome any suggestions.
May God have mercy on your soul.
bufrilla
AG
San Antonio to Monticello is 1500 miles (round #). To be a comfortable drive each day with some stops that a minimum of 3 nights and 4 days on road (to & from-minimum).
Been to each place listed.
To:
Vicksburg National Battlefield
Huntsville NASA
Horseshoe Bend NBF
Andersonville POW NM
Chattanooga Lookout Mtn
Chicamauga NBF
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg
Cade's Cove
Smokey Mtn NP
Jonesboro, TN
Crockett StPk/Birthpl/Home
Biltmore House/GrovePk Inn
Chimney Rock
Grandfather Mtn/Blowing Rock
Old Salem
WWII DDay Memorial
Appomattox Courthouse
Monticello/Jefferson
Ashdown/Monroe
Montpelier/Madison
UVA
Michie Tavern

Area At: ( within 2 hr drive)
Colonial Williamsburg
Yorktown
Jamestown
Richmond/Petersburg NBF
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Wilderness
My Vernon
D.C.
Harper's Ferry
Antietam
Gettysburg (3hrs)

Return:
Lexington VMI/WashLee
Cyrus McCormick Farm
Natural Bridge
Grand Ole Opry
Natchez Trace
Crossroads NBF
Shiloh NBF
Clinton PresLibrary

Just returned from our yearly venture to Colonial Williamsburg. Took 4 nights going, 3 returning and 7 days there. Planning essential, can not do everything listed.
Monticello sales out many days in summer, check and buy online."

Ashdown is just down the road a couple miles from Monticello.
Aquin
AG
You guys are better than AAA.
Did the Carter House in Franklin Tenn.
The Hermitage, which was very impressive.
Monroe's House, with an excellent guide.
Monticello, paid the $60 per head to do the behind the scene tour. Excellent. You get to see the entire mansion in a group of 14. Recommend it.
Mitchie Tavern. Food was great.
Montpelier. Very nice and again upgrade to the Meet the Madison's tour.
Black Dog Salvage in Roanoke. Got to meet all the HGTV stars. Store is great.
Rock City, Chattanooga, just a throw in and proved to be amazing.

3250 miles, nine state, seven days.

I will let you plan my next trip. Thanks
Wicked Good Ag
Glad you had a great trip. Will look over your suggestions when we make a return trip to that area.

Did you go through Arkansas ? Galvani Gardens during Xmas time is wonderful if didn't get a chance this trip
Rex Racer
AG
Next time, if you go through Meridian Mississippi, be sure to stop at Weidmann's. Amazing shrimp and grits and gumbo. It has been open since 1870. Great food.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.