Reasonably priced honeymoon recommendations?

2,512 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JSKolache
AgEngr16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tying the knot at the end of October and looking for some recommendations. Have passports and are looking for something either tropical or with many different activities to do. Looking to spend 4-5 nights and stay under about $3000-3500. Including food, travel, and activities while there.

Thanks for any recommendations.
dcbowers
AG
1. There is a rule about not getting married during football season.
2. Speaking of rules, what about Rule #1 ? No pics?

What do both of you like to do? Beach, mountains, big cities?

Seriously, congrats to you and your fianc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
We did Maui for 10 days, and it only ran about $4000 for everything, so I'm sure you could make your budget work for 4-5 days
10andBOUNCE
AG
Always laugh at the "not during football season" warnings. So he can piss his wife off to watch another 8-5 season?

We did Jamaica and that is right in line with your budget.
2012Ag
AG
Both of you should get the Chase Hyatt credit card. Meet the minimum spend of 1k in 3 months and the reward is 2 free nights at any Hyatt in the world. If you both get it then that's a 4 free night stay. It includes all inclusive resorts.
AgEngr16
AG
dcbowers said:

2. Speaking of rules, what about Rule #1 ? No pics?

What do both of you like to do? Beach, mountains, big cities?

Seriously, congrats to you and your fianc.

Hard to get around that rule with her. She isn't much of a football fan but let's me watch my Ags. Can't figure out how to post a pic from phone.

Like to spend time exploring outside. Hiking, biking, and camping are some common ground. She loves big cities and I can tolerate them. She loves beaches and I can get through a few days of beaches as a newly wed. She really would like somewhere with clear waters and clean beaches.

Thank you. Been a long time coming, we celebrate 5 years together this month.
AgEngr16
AG
Where did y'all stay in Maui? Plenty to do while there? Haven't looked into that destination too much.
AgEngr16
AG
Hit that nail right on the head.

Just curious on what Jamaica has to offer? I have given serious thought about going there but haven't looked much into accommodations or activities. Are most of the island countries pretty similar in what they offer?
knoxtom
Asheville nc in late October is really nice
FightinTexasAg15
AG
We stayed in the Westin Maui, it was really nice and we enjoyed it. We booked a package through the hotel for hotel/flight/car. Yeah there was enough to keep us going the whole time. We did snorkeling (a paid tour and a bunch on our own), a volcano/mountain bike tour and zip line, the road to hana, and lots of exploring as well as relaxing by the pool/beach.
Ag_07
AG
We only did one activity on our honeymoon and it wasn't hiking, biking, snorkeling, or zip lining.

Seriously though, my only advice would be to take it easy on the activities. Go some place nice to relax and unwind.
Texas Ag Mom
I travel a lot. I would be cautious about traveling long distances (Maui for example) for a 4-5 nt stay. I certainly wouldn't attempt if it were not a direct flight. All of the flights I have been on lately have been delayed for various reasons & in some cases 5+ hours. That can cause you to miss a connection real fast. Not the best way to start a honeymoon. I now always assume my flight will be delayed. I have been to Maui multiple times & my son honeymooned there a couple of years ago & y'all both would love it. With the long flight & time change I personally would not go for any less than 8 nts & 10 would be better.
Aggiefan3172
Looking for places to honeymoon as well, but would be in the spring. Same budget. Any recs?
histag10
AG
Clear water, reasonably priced-- Puerto Rico.
Al Bula
AG
dcbowers said:

Luckily the OP isn't dumb enough to base his life around college football. That is the worst idea ever.
Wife is an Aggie
2012Ag said:

Both of you should get the Chase Hyatt credit card. Meet the minimum spend of 1k in 3 months and the reward is 2 free nights at any Hyatt in the world. If you both get it then that's a 4 free night stay. It includes all inclusive resorts.
This is a great recommendation that I hope you do not blow off. So many easy ways to get free/cheap/reduced travel with credit card rewards.

I would add in addition to that card both of you get the chase sapphire preferred if you can meet the spending requirements. You would then have 100K chase ultimate reward points which could cover all or most of your flights. Then get the 4 nights free hotel with the Hyatt card if possible.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Chase Sapphire card if used responsibly is fantastic
Tatem
You can go to Kauai or Maui for that price
We recently went to bimini for about $2000. waters were the prettiest I've ever seen but not much do there besides the beach
10andBOUNCE
AG
We were lazy and stayed all inclusive in Negril - didn't leave or do anything.

We're considering going back and doing more activities and staying somewhere around Dunn River Falls. We've been looking at Jamaica Inn and a few other small places.
histag10
AG
Also, if you want to stay continental US, Myrtle Beach is nice.
Lonestarandi
AG
Costco travel... plenty of options
Aggiefan3172
I have been looking into places. Has anyone stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres?
tamc91
AG
Jamaica is good if you're mostly going to stay in a resort or take guided excursions. If you prefer to be on your own adventure take a look at Puerto Rico. There is history, nice beaches, resorts, small B&Bs, and the El Yunque NP rain forest for hiking. The caves near Areciba are cool too. You might also consider a trip to Vieques or Culebra for snorkeling. If you were there longer a trip over to the bioluminescent bay on Vieques is worth considering, but it takes a ferry or short plane ride, and a car to get to the south side of the island so it is best if you can stay a few days.

As a U.S. territory, you don't need a passport and they drive on the right side of the road, so it is easy to adjust.
V8Aggie
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Always laugh at the "not during football season" warnings. So he can piss his wife off to watch another 8-5 season?

We did Jamaica and that is right in line with your budget.
My wife (an Aggie) refused to get married during football season b/c she didn't want people checking their phones the whole time. I was happy

If you do get married during the season make sure it's in September. Otherwise you'll be depressed.
V8Aggie
AG
Submit your info to Zicasso dot com. They will look at your budget and pair you with a travel agent. We used this for Australia and New Zealand and it was awesome! You'll likely have a couple of TA's email you and give bids/work with you and your budget.
DuckDown2013
AG
My wife and I went to Excellence Playa Mujeres in 2013 for our honeymoon. It is amazing. We just booked there again this morning with a couple friend of ours for Thanksgiving (thurs check in-monday check out). Cannot wait!
Aggiefan3172
That's awesome to here. Mind if I get some more information from you about it?
DuckDown2013
AG
For sure. Feel free to ask away on the thread or Direct Message me
Aggiefan3172
I can't PM because I'm still a rookie poster.. Can you PM me?
DuckDown2013
AG
shoot me an email.
Aggiefan3172
Got it. You can delete email if you want.
AggieStout
AG
Ag_07 said:

We only did one activity on our honeymoon and it wasn't hiking, biking, snorkeling, or zip lining.

Seriously though, my only advice would be to take it easy on the activities. Go some place nice to relax and unwind.
This. My wife and I looked to try and do a bunch of activities while on our honeymoon. We realized that we should just spend time with each other relaxing on the beach all day and laying by the pool. Just did snorkeling, zip line, and dune buggy.
JSKolache
AG
San Pedro, Belize
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.