Florida Keys?

1,833 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TulaneAg
Summer Breeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a big birthday coming up and would like to take a quick trip somewhere with my husband, but I don't want to go too crazy because I'm also planning a summer vacation for the whole family. Has anyone flown into Miami and rented a car to drive to the Keys? It seems like a bucket list kind of thing to do.

Any recommendations for which island to stay on or things to see and do? I've found a flight to Miami pretty cheap, so my interest in this particular trip has increased a bit.
GSS
We drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West in Sep 2016...about a 3-1/2 hour drive. Key West was better than expected, and though other islands on the way down had places to stay, not sure what else there is to do besides fishing.
Big Al 1992
AG
The drive is long and slow. A lot of it is only 2 lanes with 45mph speed limit. But good to do once - Some great seafood places on the way in Key Largo and Islamorada. May think about flying back to Miami or Ft Lauderdale on the small airline in Key West.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We did it two years ago. It was a great thing to do once. We rented a 4 door jeep and that was cool. For the family vacation, look at Hawks Cay on Duck Key. Really good place. Look at vrbo and you can get a big condo, but avoid the resort fees and still get acccess to the resort stuff.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
When I lived in Miami there was a boat you could take. Round trip price was cheaper than a car rental and you get to be on the water the entire time.

I've driven from Miami to the keys also. Traffic can get really bad.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We flew from dfw on Thursday morning and drove to key west. It's a fun drive. We had a DD and hit several bars on the way. Flew out of KW via Miami yesterday.

Hawks Cay on duck island is nice if you have kids, but I wouldn't go otherwise. Tons of kids as it is geared towards families.

dcAg
Ive done the exact trip you are thinking about. Flew into Miami, rented a convertible and drove to Key West. Phenomenal. Was a little backed up in some places but overall traffic moved pretty well. Also arrived on a Saturday morning so if you arrive on a Monday or Tuesday I cant imagine traffic is all that great. Key West is a blast.

You can also fly into Key West but I understand that can get a bit pricey.
NICU Dad
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

We did it two years ago. It was a great thing to do once. We rented a 4 door jeep and that was cool. For the family vacation, look at Hawks Cay on Duck Key. Really good place. Look at vrbo and you can get a big condo, but avoid the resort fees and still get acccess to the resort stuff.
We did Hawks Cay as well last summer and loved it.

The resort has an adult only section, which was great.

Hawks Cay is just about the middle of the Keys, so you can make an easy day trip down to check out Key West or just hang out on Duck Key the whole trip.
Tatem
we are just leaving bimini, bahamas. not the keys but it was beautiful and not very expensive. flew out of ft lauderdale and it was a 30 min flight
stayed at the hilton, drove a golf cart around
HHAG
AG
Love Hawks Cay. Check out the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada as well.
TulaneAg
We've made the drive down to Key West a couple of times so the novelty has kinda worn off on us. We like to get to Key West asap nowadays.

We've found that by the time you get a 'cheap' flight to Miami, rent a car for a couple of days, pay for parking in KW, etc. that the flight into KW with a connection from Miami, FLL, or Ft. Myers is usually about even money. But if you've never done the drive you probably need to do it once...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.