Thoughts on Cabo

3,468 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cheeky
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering going down there in late summer. Seems to be an uptick in drug violence lately. I always felt Cabo was a little safer than the rest of Mexico. Should I be concerned?
beachfront71
AG

There is always something going on down there and we probably never hear about half of it..
I quit looking as we have never had a problem what so ever.

They have had some isolated incidents that effect tourists but that can happen in LA just as easy..
The major crime does not target tourists and the govt works like crazy to keep people from the US heading down to Cabo.

Never say never but I would be more worried about the heat than a random act of violence.

I read the same stuff about Puerto Vallarta last year and never saw anything remotely concerning..
Matsui
AG
There is an uptick in violence?
Fairview
AG
I have some friends that just moved there about a month ago and they say they feel totally safe. Im sure its like anywhere where you have to be aware of your surroundings but they love it. We are going down early June with the kids and aren't worried.
beachfront71
AG
Quote:

The first two months of 2017 saw Los Cabos become the homicide capital of Baja California Sur. In one week more than 37 cartel executions took place in the state, but virtually transparent to visitors and residents, as they were discovered as body drops. The following week 200 Federal Police were brought into the state. One attack on a suspected cartel member's home involved the use of a 50mm grenade launcher.
bam02
AG
That is pretty crazy about the grenade launcher.

Still, I'd say being the murder capital of BCS is not quite the same as being the munder capital of any other Mexican state.
beachfront71
AG

Its no big deal, every time we have seen someone walking around with a grenade launcher down there we just look the other way .. They usually just walk right by .. No issues..
Post removed:
by user
bam02
AG
There weres several people shot and killed in a club in Playa recently.
strohag
AG
I've been to Cabo at least once a year over the last 5 years. Just be smart. I've never felt unsafe.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Good number of military just sent to the area.... think they're staying in Los Barriles.

We went last summer and felt very safe, but the cartel fighting has definitely picked up since then. 2 state detectives were killed and there was a shooting at 5pm on a Sunday on Antonio Mijares Blvd in San Jose del Cabo where a tourist caught a stray round in the leg. We want to go back in March but are keeping an eye on things.

There was a cooler with body parts left at the main shopping mall in CSL.
MAGA
AG
Was just in Cabo in October stayed at the JW Marriott in San Jose, never felt unsafe one bit.

I don't get caught up in the unsafe/safe issues anymore.

Last summer I was in Brownsville and wanted to go over to Matamoros. I was reluctant but before I crossed over I asked a Bridge clerk about my safety. He asked me where I was from, I told him Dallas. He said y'all just had 5 policeman killed how are you any safer there than going over to Matamoros?

I said good point. I went over and had a great day.
MAGA
AG
Much of the unsafe versus safe is media driven hype
Player To Be Named Later
AG
AggieCrew02 said:

Much of the unsafe versus safe is media driven hype

There's a lot going on in Los Cabos that you aren't hearing about in the media
MAGA
AG
I'm sure there is. I just don't let these things keep me from going.

I went to Mexico City last year and have been to Ciudad Juarez this year.

I have a facination with Mexico and want to go to Hermosillo, Saltillo, Guadalajara and many more eventually.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I'm moving to Mexico in 12 years.
MAGA
AG
12 years? Why so long?
MAGA
AG
Many days I feel like I already live in Mexico
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Because I'm 44 and my wife's youngest graduates HS in 12 years. Then I'm retiring and it's off to Mexico.
MAGA
AG
Where?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Undetermined but it will likely include a beach. We are flying into Cancun in July and spending 3 nights in Tulum, 2 in Mahahual, 4 on Cozumel, and a last night in Puerto Morelos.

Last summer was San Jose del Cabo. We also drove to La Paz for a night. Beautiful drive along the east cape then through the hills. We honestly did not like Cabo San Lucas one bit. Too much "DisneyMex"
Player To Be Named Later
AG
But, back to Los Cabos.....

We follow a lot of Baja information on Facebook, mostly from people who live there. There has really been an uptick in violence in the Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo this year. Last year I would have laughed at anyone remotely concerned about going, now.... it's at least worth doing due diligence and thinking it over.

The CJNG is fighting for Sinaloa turf and they're killing a lot of each other. They even dumped one of the bodies on the fancy toll highway to the aeropuerto..... and then the body parts left in a cooler in the mall.

It's all messy.... apparently the former SJD Mayor's wife sold all the info on routes, stash houses, etc of the old cartel to the new cartel. Then they took off when all of the deal wasn't followed through.

And the Governor of Baja received a threat from the cartel that they were going to start shooting in the tourist areas. Then they had the drive by shooting on Antonio Mijares Blvd in SJD where the tourist caught a round in the leg.

CSL even got their first Narco Manta....

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/encuentran-narcomanta-en-cabo-san-lucas-amenazan-a-elementos-de-seguridad/

All that said.... will we probably still go in March? Probably. But it's no longer a silly question to ask if it's safe to go to. I just pray that Baja doesn't turn into Acapulco.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
The individuals killed in that deal were hired security, probably not armed. Word was they weren't allowing one of the cartel dealers into the club to sell and they came back and offed them.

This was also at almost 3am.... so, don't go clubbing until 3am and your odds of survival increase. But that's the same in Dallas.
MAGA
AG
Wow I hope Cabo doesn't turn into Acapulco either.

Wonder what Sammy Hagar thinks about all of this? He partially put Cabo on the map.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
As long as he keeps making $$$ I doubt he cares much
Player To Be Named Later
AG
http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/tourists-take-cover-in-los-cabos-violence/

Ag CPA
AG
It sucks, but besides Cancun (which I cannot give you a rational explanation for), we have crossed Mexico off of our vacation list. Too many other great options these days where you don't have to worry violence.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Cancun is more dangerous than any other area on the Riviera Maya. So many safer and more laid back options in that area than Cancun.

Cancun isn't any more "Mexico" than south beach Miami. We are flying in to Cancun in July and won't set foot in it again until it's time to fly back home.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
I haven't read the replies on this thread, but my wife and I were in San Lucas De Los Cabos from April 11 - 18. We had an excellent time and never felt unsafe. Now, we're old folks in our mid 50's, so we don't do the late night dance clubs. One of the guides told us that the crime rate in San Lucas is under 10%, however. If you want more details about Baja California Sur, reach me at poodlegirls@rocketmail.com

TO ALL TRAVELERS:

TSA agents suck! Expect to be violated and treated like a third world country citizen with a criminal record. It is nothing short of disgusting to see TSA agents treat their own countrymen like garbage!

If you expect to be mistreated by TSA agents, and are not, you're trip is off to a pleasant start!

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Texas Ag Mom
Going to Cancun mem weekend & Cabo in Sept. We go to both every year. I have no intention of being impacted by crime. I travel smart & we mid fifties old folks will be in our room by midnight. We go to small bars but no rowdy clubs. As for touristy areas, we can't stand them. Of the 2 of these Cancun is the worst. We do what we can to eat in the small local restaurants & stay away from the crowds. We go for some down time on a beautiful beach. We have been traveling to Cancun since 1985 & sadly it is so different now. The biggest difference is we used to rent a Jeep & explore all over the region. Won't rent a car anymore however we do rent in Cabo.
cheeky
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Undetermined but it will likely include a beach. We are flying into Cancun in July and spending 3 nights in Tulum, 2 in Mahahual, 4 on Cozumel, and a last night in Puerto Morelos.

Last summer was San Jose del Cabo. We also drove to La Paz for a night. Beautiful drive along the east cape then through the hills. We honestly did not like Cabo San Lucas one bit. Too much "DisneyMex"
Then you're doing it wrong. Nothing Disney about world class golf, dining and sport fishing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.