5 day Memorial Day weekend rec

535 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dcAg
The Grinder (99)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking for ideas for a family getaway. We have sat-tues this Memorial Day weekend and I'd like to take the new camper somewhere that's no more than a comfortable day drive (from belton). I was thinking of up to the ozarks but I'm open to ideas.

We're a family of 4. Myself, wife and two kids 6 and 8.

TIA
HHAG
AG
Big Bend.
bufrilla
AG
Big Bend is about 450 miles from Belton.
I'd suggest Davis Mtn State park at Fort Davis (about same distance).
Excellent for camping. Indian Lodge located in park and has good restaurant. Old Fort Davis near by. MacDonald Observatory is close by, with Star Parties everyday/night.
Big Bend only about 90 miles away.
Would be an excellent 5 day trip. We've been multiple times with Grandkids.
CanyonAg77
AG
Big Bend and Ft. Davis both are great. Lots of great places in the Ozarks, too. The nice thing is that kids that young are usually happy to hike and throw rocks, you probably don't need to do a lot to entertain them.

Draw a 450 mile circle around Belton and you have a ton of opportunities. In addition to the previously mentioned, Caprock Canyons and Palo Duro are in my direction, though toward the end of your range.

Copper Breaks is closer to you, but far from town and great mainly for solitude and star gazing.

Abilene State Park isn't spectacular, but they have star parties there, too. It's also close to Perini Ranch and there's a nice little museum at Buffalo Gap. The Zoo at Abilene is supposed to be good.

Lake Amistad is spectacular, in a desolate way.

Wichita Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma is interesting, and there are some nearby attractions like Lake Altus, Meers Store, the old Ft. Sill parade grounds and museum, the artillery museum at Ft. Sill, Mt. Scott....

Post again if you want me to bloviate on any of the above...
Wicked Good Ag
I would think the Ozarks would be a good choice as you thought.

I trip to the Crater of Diamonds for the kids to blow off stream and then a trip to Hot Springs before hitting the Ozarks and the NW Arkansas area is beautiful. Buffalo River could give you some great outdoors things that can be tailored for the ages of your kids. Hit up Crystal Bridges and the kids museum in either Bentonville or Hot Springs. Can travel the way back a more direct route home though Oklahoma with a stop in OKC possibly

dcAg
Indy 500
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.