Going to Ireland in June....What can I absolutely not miss?

2,094 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aTm2004
busdriver88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
histag10
AG
Quote:

What can I absolutely not miss?

Your flight...

I'm jealous though. Enjoy your trip!
busdriver88
AG
histag10 said:

Quote:

What can I absolutely not miss?

Your flight...

I'm jealous though. Enjoy your trip!
Well done.
Spaceball 1
AG
Guinness Brewery, Bushmills Distillery, Giants Causeway, Antrim Coast, new grange is super cool (Druid site way cooler than Stonehenge), Fiddlers Green for session music in port o ferry, the murals bus tour in Belfast. And a Celtic supporters club if you are Protestant or a Rangers Club if catholic.

Shannon castle is over rated as is Blarney castle and the stone
dcAg
Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Literary pub crawl in Dublin as well as a pub crawl on your own.

I preferred the Smithwick's brewery tour over Guiness but you have to go to the Guiness brewery if you are there.
reveille23
Cliffs of Moher
wangus12
AG
Quote:

And a Celtic supporters club if you are Protestant or a Rangers Club if catholic.
You're in the wrong country.
billikenag
wangus12 said:

Quote:

And a Celtic supporters club if you are Protestant or a Rangers Club if catholic.
You're in the wrong country.
And in the wrong religion. Show up at a Celtic fan club yelling about Fenian, Papist Scum and I don't foresee things going well.
BlueAg2003
AG
I'll be there in July! The wife and are are starting in Dublin, then taking a train up to Belfast, then over to the west coast to do Galway, the Cliffs, etc. I can't wait. Prior to that, we're in London for a few days and after Ireland we head to Iceland. It's going to be an epic trip.

In Dublin, we're doing the typical things:

Temple Bar area
Kilmainham Gaol
Trinity College
Guinness Storehouse

In Belfast, we don't have much planned other than to walk around and enjoy, but we will definitely hit up the Titanic Museum. I'm not sure if we will have enough time to get out to Giant's Causeway, but it is on the list.

Most of our time will be spent out west enjoying the beautiful views and taking it easy at the pubs in Galway. I can't wait to listen to some Trad Sessions and drink a few pints.
wangus12
AG
West Coast is my side of the island. Let me know things you'd be interested in. Hikes, castles, pubs, etc
BlueAg2003
AG
I mean, all of the above!!! Know any good pubs in Galway? What are your can't miss activities on the west coast?
dcAg
In Galway go to the Quay. You will find a ton of pubs within 1,000 feet of each other.

If you go to Dublin I highly recommend the literary pub crawl. It is great!
wangus12
AG
Yeah in Galway, Quay St and Shop St are the only places you need to go for pubs and craic. The combine together and basically make up the Galway version of 6th street. Also anything around Eyre Square. They will all be crowded because Galway almost always is.

If you like hiking, Connemara National Park is north of there. Diamond Hill is a cool hike there. If you have a spare day, take the ferry or a small plane (via Connemara airport) out to the Aran Islands. Beautiful cliffs, ruins of Dn Aonghasa and you can snag some true wool sweaters out there. The place didn't get electricity till the 1980's and everyone out there still speaks the old language.

Where all are ya'll staying on the west coast?
BlueAg2003
AG
We'll be in Galway a couple of nights and Limerick for one. I'm glad to see some of what we have planned is on your list. We have a ferry out to Aran Islands on one of the days!
AggieMainland
The new Jameson tour (opened in early march) is amazing. Way better than Guinness tour now in Dublin IMO.
wangus12
AG
Never was a fun of the Guinness tour. Its just so ungodly crowded, especially up in the viewing tower. Someone said it above, but the Smithwicks tour is great. First time I went, it was a Monday morning and I was the only one there. 1-on-1 with the guy giving the tour. He showed me some of the old behind the scenes stuff that isn't on the regular tour.
Pendragon12
AG
Cliffs of Moher and the Connemara region if you can work that into your trip.
Oogway
Blarney Castle may be a touristy thing and overdone but the gardens there are really cool. We never even went up to the stone...

Killarney National Forest is also fun to explore as is Muckross Farm nearby. Like others have stated, Cliffs of Moher, Trinity College, and Derry as well. Yes, definitely fans of Smithwick's in our family.

Enjoy your trip!
Seven Costanza
AG
Hiking to the top of Connemara was pretty awesome. Very windy at the top, but great views. There's a little walk/drive around there called Sky Drive (maybe) that's pretty nice to stroll along too at sunset.

Cliffs of Moher is every bit as advertised. Go out there and just walk along it for a couple of hours. It's really nice once you're away from all the crowds.

I really enjoyed just driving around the Ring of Kerry and stopping along the way. I went around April (or May) and it wasn't busy at all. Take your time and stop as often as you can to take photos.

Blarney Castle itself is pretty unimpressive. I wouldn't specifically make a trip out there, but it you're just rounding your way from the West back toward Dublin, there's no harm in stopping off. Just make sure you walk around the rest of the grounds there. There's a nice little walking about around there.
dlp3719
AG
Pro Tip from our trip last summer: Trinity College opens a good hour before they say they do for the Book of Kells and the library.

About 20 of us got it all to ourselves and then we came out to a line a 100 deep.
dlp3719
AG
We went off the ring of Kerry to valescia island and did a hike on Brey's head. Highlight of the trip
Gil Renard
AG
Where's specter?
TheGroupGuy
Donegal is beautiful country. Look for traditional music in pubs.
aTm2004
AG
Drive the Ring of Kerry.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.