Texas' best

1,642 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Work has been busy (yay!) and I'm desperate for some family fun. We have three young kids (2-4). I don't want to go to Great Wolf Lodge and probably not Lost Pines. But I want to go somewhere with good food and definitely swimming.

We've done and enjoyed a weekend trip to Galveston, Port A, have family all over... but I want to do something a little different.

I'm so desperate to get away that I almost booked a hotel with an indoor pool an hour from our house today.

ETA likely Mid April to Mid May
duck79
AG
We took the kids to the JW Marriott in SA last year and they loved it. That may be a good option
Potcake
AG
Gage Hotel in Marathon has a cool pool and great restaurant. Or stay in Fort Davis and drive to nearby Balmorhea Pool while you can.
Premium
AG
Why not Great Wolf? A coworker just reccomended to us with kids 2.5-4. We would come from Houston.
beachfront71
AG

Book my river house in Bandera.. Semi off the grid and good for kids..
SoTheySay
S
I need more low key. Between my stress and anxiety and my three kids I need less people and less noise. And I don't like the way it smells.
Vascular Ag
AG
Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose
SoTheySay
S
We like Glenrose and have a free place to stay there.
dcAg
Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio. Across the road from Sea World.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Quote:

We took the kids to the JW Marriott in SA last year and they loved it. That may be a good option.

My wife and I stayed at the JW a couple of years ago on a long weekend away. It would be a great place for kids. Plenty to do on the grounds, good selection of restaurants...and then you have all of the attractions of SA if you want to leave. Would highly recommend.
rbcs_2
AG
Potcake said:

Gage Hotel in Marathon has a cool pool and great restaurant. Or stay in Fort Davis and drive to nearby Balmorhea Pool while you can.
Now that's what I call getting away. I love west Texas!

Side story: when I lived in Alpine as a kid, there was a ghost story about the highway between Ft Davis and Balmorhea. The details escapes me, but people out there swear by it. They would see a young girl on the side of the road, and then she would appear in their car. Of course this always happened at night. I've been on that road a hundred times though and never saw anything.
SoTheySay
S
I'm liking the Marriott idea and I think we could deal with one day of Sea World.
jpb1999
AG
What's the story on Balmorhea? Always wanted to go. Would it be suitable for a 2 and 4 year old?
Potcake
AG
It's a spring-fed pool so it is ~68 degrees, not bad if it's hot outside. It's crystal clear so you can see fish and turtles. It's a nice little oasis in the scrubby and arid Permisn Basin.

There is a vast O&G play developing around it so the future is uncertain.
jja79
AG
My dad was superintendent of schools at Balmorhea. I've never been to the state park because we always floated the irrigation canals when I was a kid. Cold water and you could ride the current several miles and wait for parents to pick you up. The Davis Mountains make a nice backdrop.
AggieOO
Balmorhea is the hands-down winner.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
SoTheySay said:

Work has been busy (yay!) and I'm desperate for some family fun. We have three young kids (2-4). I don't want to go to Great Wolf Lodge and probably not Lost Pines. But I want to go somewhere with good food and definitely swimming.

We've done and enjoyed a weekend trip to Galveston, Port A, have family all over... but I want to do something a little different.

I'm so desperate to get away that I almost booked a hotel with an indoor pool an hour from our house today.

ETA likely Mid April to Mid May

You might be able to get a cabin in the Frio Canyon area. See if Garner State Park has anything. If not, there are plenary of cabins in that area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.