Pamplona - Running with the Bulls

1,456 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Apache
ArlingtonAg2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Early stages of planning trip to Pamplona for San Fermin festival. Anyone on here ever participated in this before? Any suggestions? Thinking of flying into Madrid, then train up to Pamplona, then train to Barcelona and fly out of there. 3 nights in Madrid, 2 in Pamplona and 3 in Barcelona. Is that enough time in each city? Not enough? Never been to Spain before. 4 adults, no kids. Any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.
Apache
AG
One night in Pamplona may be enough.
Or should I say, 24 hours because it is highly likely you won't sleep. I'm not sure of your age... you may be up for two. Imagine Mardi Gras... that's what it's like.

I would do your trip this was:
Day 1 - Arrive Madrid
Day 2 - Madrid
Day 3 - Pamplona via train or bus, See Bullfights in the afternoon, party all night
Day 4 - Catch the running of the Bulls in the AM, eat, see the town, bus to San Sebastian
Day 5 - Chill in San Sebastian
Day 6 - Train to Barcelona
Day 7 - Barcelona
Day 8 - Barcelona

I added San Sebastian because it's such a cool town it'd be a shame to be so close and not see it. Two more days for your trip would really help things not be so rushed. If this is a possibility I'd add the extra day to Madrid & San Sebastian.

JMO.

McNasty
AG
Agree with above. San Sebastian also has a great beach for catching up on all the sleep you're gonna lose.
Potcake
AG
I root for the bulls.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
^^^^ this. Once I find out they are ok I love seeing people get thrown around like a rag doll by the bulls. Don't even mind some minor goring. Stupid is as stupid does.
busdriver88
AG
Loved Pamplona. Have not been there for the bulls, but the town is fantastic. Try to get an apartment in the old city. We got a two bedroom place cheap overlooking the street the bulls run down.

Damn, the night life will be fantastic. The tapas, the wine.......I want to go back.

I agree with San Sebastian. Worth the trip.

Have fun.
AggieOO
Comparing it to Mardi gras is beyond flawed.
Apache
AG
Round the clock partying, petty theft, crowded streets, noise, sold out hotels, people passed out everywhere.
Nothing like Mardi Gras at all.
drumboy
AG
Apache said:

One night in Pamplona may be enough.
Or should I say, 24 hours because it is highly likely you won't sleep. I'm not sure of your age... you may be up for two. Imagine Mardi Gras... that's what it's like.

I would do your trip this was:
Day 1 - Arrive Madrid
Day 2 - Madrid
Day 3 - Pamplona via train or bus, See Bullfights in the afternoon, party all night
Day 4 - Catch the running of the Bulls in the AM, eat, see the town, bus to San Sebastian
Day 5 - Chill in San Sebastian
Day 6 - Train to Barcelona
Day 7 - Barcelona
Day 8 - Barcelona

I added San Sebastian because it's such a cool town it'd be a shame to be so close and not see it. Two more days for your trip would really help things not be so rushed. If this is a possibility I'd add the extra day to Madrid & San Sebastian.

JMO.

I did a similar itinerary when I did San Fermin in 2013 but from San Sebastian we went to Paris, Brouge & London.

Read up on how to run cause we almost didn't get to. We were chilling in the street chugging beers waiting for the bulls to come when the cops started closing them off. We had to sprint several blocks to the paddock where you have to be to get onto the streets. If you keep running behind the bulls you can run into the arena which was cool. Also PITA to get tix for the bullfights cause you have to stand in line for an hour w/ the line-cutting gypsies or buy tix marked up really high from gypsies. Also the ticket booth only takes cash.
iloveAP
AG

Quote:

Comparing it to Mardi gras is beyond flawed.
Obviously it's entirely different in so many ways, but I've found myself making a similar comment depending on the point of reference of the person/people I'm talking to.

I've been twice for work and will go a third time this summer (for work). It's nothing I'd do on my own time or dime, that's for darn sure. The first time I went, we had a flat on Calle Estafeta with two balconies which seemed neat and super convenient in theory but the reality was far from. It was so noisy and loud the entire time - I finally got some sleep on the train when we left Pamplona...it was awful. Plus, the crowds and grossness that are the streets (except for when they're cleared out and cleaned each morning) were repulsive. I strongly recommend booking accommodations a bit outside the center. There are public buses (and taxis) that you can use to get to/from your hotel and center if it's further than walking. But you'll actually get some sleep that way.

This summer I'll do the same as last year which is come in from San Sebastian. We left SS super early, drove to Pamplona for all the morning festivities and headed back to SS later in the day. Tons of people do that, so I'd recommend booking bus and/or rain tickets in advance as well as accommodation in SS.

Bring disposable white clothes that you're fine with tossing/leaving behind after San Fermin. Same with shoes. There are tons of shops/stores that sell white clothes, t-shirts, red panuelos in case you just want to buy something there. Only carry the basics (wallet/ID, phone) with you as you're cruising the town and streets. Money belts and Zip-locs are handy.
AggieOO
i guess i had a different experience than you guys.

yes, round the clock partying, but everyone was having a blast. People were drunk, but I didn't see anything that remotely resembled the **** show that mardi gras is. No fighting, no idiots trying to grope women, etc. I didn't see people puking in the streets (that happens all over the place in NO). Of course there is noise, people are partying and there are bands playing all night.

There was trash from partying, but NOTHING like mardi gras. I was just there for a wedding on the weekend of the first mardi gras parade (not even "real" mardi gras), and the french quarter was BEYOND trashed.

can't say i experienced theft in situation, but i carried the most minimal of things on me in pamplona.

As for crowds, there were a lot of people at San Fermin, but I never felt like I couldn't freely walk around. At Mardi Gras, you can barely move around at times b/c there are so many people.

To me, San Fermin was a lot of people out drinking and almost everyone I saw was having a great time. Mardi Gras is a **** show of people trying to see how drunk they can get before puking and hopefully not get in a fight or arrested.
Crocker91
AG
I've been to Pamplona for San Fermin twice. Here's my $.02:

• Get to Pamplona on July 5 and plan on spending two nights. The night before San Fermin is less crazy, it's a nice city for relaxing then. You want to be there at noon on the 6th for the rocket launch and the beginning of San Fermin.
  • Have dinner at Restaurante San Ignacio. Little off the Plaza del Castillo. Great food, not many tourists.
  • Drink and dance in the Cafe Iruna. Lots of Pamlonesse here.
  • Two nights in Madrid are plenty for most people unless you're a huge art lover. If you decide to see Toledo (which you should), spend the night there.
  • Barcelona is a great 3 night city. Spend four if you can take the day trip to Montserrat.
Apache
AG
Completely understandable that different people can go to a place at different times & come away with a differing opinion.

San Fermines is a unique experience, and Mardi Gras is something that most people can relate to & it provides a point of reference as to what to expect. I do agree with you that Mardi Gras is a level up on the trashiness scale.

A couple of my experiences while there:

I met up with friends in Pamplona, one guy had his girlfriend with him. She got felt up by a drunk dude, and my friend not surprisingly shoved the drunk back and squared off with him. Drunks friends lined up, we did the same & there was lots of cursing going on. Some of the other guys realized what happened, apologized profusely and cooler heads prevailed. That stuff happens anywhere you mix alcohol, crowds and testosterone.

The morning after the run, we went to a park and laid down in the grass under some trees to catch a nap. I was awoken by my friend shouting - a thief was trying to pick his pocked while he slept. This was in broad daylight, with families nearby & little kids. We woke up and pursued the guy ready to pummel him, but apparently he was in parkour or something and moved like a freaking ninja. Afterwards we had a good laugh as the guy was going for a can of skoal... guess he thought is was a camera.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.