Dubrovnik

1,658 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agdoc84
agdoc84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any can't miss places to see? Recommendations ?
Thanks
Kurt Gowdy
AG
The two buza bars Which are literal holes on the wall of the old town. Great places to just sit and enjoy where you are at.

Cruises have killed Dubrovnik imo. Go to Bosnia or Montenegro if you're able.
canagian
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

The two buza bars Which are literal holes on the wall of the old town. Great places to just sit and enjoy where you are at.

Cruises have killed Dubrovnik imo. Go to Bosnia or Montenegro if you're able.
Interesting comment. We spent a day in Dubrovnik as part of a cruise. Went in with zero expectations, just decided to walk the wall of the old city. Absolutely loved it. Saw one of those hole-in-the-wall bars during our walk and spent about an hour in it afterwords, absolutely spectacular views of the Adriatic. Had some very fresh calamari at a restaurant on the marina. That day turned out to be one of the highlights of the cruise, a real "hidden gem" IMHO.

So definitely do the old city wall walk... about a 2 km route altogether.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
This was almost exactly my experience as well. Loved it.
iamtheglove
Btw, I stayed at the Hilton right by old town. Very nice hotel and one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had
agdoc84
We are staying at the Hilton. Did they gave Wifi? are the restaurants reasonable?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Do an AirBNB with a view. We found a 3rd story apartment (walk up the steps kinda sucks) with a private terrace overlooking lokrum and old town.

About $100 a night
agdoc84
What about going to Montenegro? Is it any different than Dubrovnik? Has anyone gone to Medjugorje?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I think you should definitely do Dubrovnik - I do not think Dubrovnik deserves more than three full days.

In this region, I think Mostar is a great city to visit. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and would've continued our trip to Sarajevo if we did not have reservations in Kotor. Another city to visit in Bosnia that I wish we would've at least spent the night in is Trebinje.

Have you booked this trip or are you in the process of planning it?

agdoc84
I have booked and looking for a day trip. Leaving to go on a cruise afte a few days in Dubrovnik .
ChoppinDs40
AG
Make sure you go over to the island of lokrum
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Rent a car and drive to Mostar if you're looking for a day trip. There are tours that do this but I've never been a fan of being on someone else's watch. Be forewarned that the border can get backed up on the main road out of Croatia and into Bosnia so you may leave earlier to maximize your time. There are other crossing to use, but who knows if that would be quicker. We did a walking tour in Mostar with a muslim student. She was 26. She lived in Mostar her whole life and first crossed the bridge into the Jewish side when she was 19. Crazy.

As far as cars goes, I rented from Fleet - about a five minute cab ride from the old town.
agdoc84
Thanks
TheFirebird
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

Rent a car and drive to Mostar if you're looking for a day trip. There are tours that do this but I've never been a fan of being on someone else's watch. Be forewarned that the border can get backed up on the main road out of Croatia and into Bosnia so you may leave earlier to maximize your time. There are other crossing to use, but who knows if that would be quicker. We did a walking tour in Mostar with a muslim student. She was 26. She lived in Mostar her whole life and first crossed the bridge into the Jewish side when she was 19. Crazy.

As far as cars goes, I rented from Fleet - about a five minute cab ride from the old town.
Second this, but did you mean Croat side? Mostar was divided between the Croats and Bosniaks (Muslims) during the wars and still is today. Croats in the West, Muslims in the east.
agdoc84
I'm on a wait list for business class. Any tips to move up the list with United ?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.