Gulf Shores or Destin?

1,598 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
aggielax11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to book a couple of condos this summer and we're debating between Destin and Gulf Shores. I've been to Destin and loved it but what are the thoughts on Gulf Shores? Going to be 15 of us including kids so need to have kids stuff as well.
Philo B 93
They are both priced perfectly for the value, so the answer is either one. If you want to spend more money for a little clearer water - Destin. If you want to save some dollars, but you're okay with 5-10 feet under water visibility - Gulf Shores.

Other than that, with 15 kids there is basically no difference. You got white sand, grocery stores, a few kid friendly restaurants, and plenty of fast food restaurants. Grab some alcohol at Winn Dixie and enjoy discreetly on the beach. The person next to you will be a little too close, and you won't like the music blasting from his Bluetooth player. At either beach.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Hate to be the guy that comes here and says 30A but....

.....30A
The Chicken Ranch
AG
If there are 15 of you I'd try to find a house somewhere along 30A (east of Destin). If all of you pitch in you could probably find a really nice property on a really nice part of the beach.
canagian
AG
I'd do Fort Walton Beach (Okaloosa Island) over Destin. Only 5 miles west of Destin, same beach but much less crowded and IMHO much more family friendly and lower cost. And you are only 10 minutes from all of the commercial buildup in Destin if you want to do go karts or whatever for the kids.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
canagian said:

I'd do Fort Walton Beach (Okaloosa Island) over Destin. Only 5 miles west of Destin, same beach but much less crowded and IMHO much more family friendly and lower cost. And you are only 10 minutes from all of the commercial buildup in Destin if you want to do go karts or whatever for the kids.

FWB
drumboy
AG
blindey said:

Hate to be the guy that comes here and says 30A but....

.....30A
So 30A is a thing other than the beer?! I had that in Destin last year and saw stickers on cars all over the place there (and some in Houston) and wondered why people had stickers of a mediocre beer on their cars.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Destin over Gulf Shores. I'd recommend San Destin over Destin. The Hilton San Destin is a great place.
Mustang1
AG
Rosemary Beach, Watercolor, or somewhere in between them.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
canagian said:

I agree. However, if they have 15 people (I assume several families) they can rent a really nice beach house in the 30A area. Again, if it's just me, the Mrs. and the kiddo we would stay in Fort Walton Beach.
AlaskanAg08
AG
We alternated between Destin and Gulf Shores every summer of my life from birth till 18. I love them both. You cant really go wrong. We had around 20 in our crew every year and rented a house on the gulf side in GS with a pool most years. Best of both worlds- pool and beach every day.

Have fun!
aggielax11
AG
We ended up doing Panama City, found a great deal on a couple of nice condos. Shores of Panama, never been to Panama City but have heard good things.

Thanks for the help everyone.
jpb1999
AG
What's the stigma with"30A"? We have a 4 and 2 year old and thought about doing someplace like Gulf Shores NEXT summer when they are 3 and 5. Is there something I should be aware of?

We are trying to shorten the trip as much as possible with young kids in the car, that is why we were thinking Gulf Shores over Destin...
Post removed:
by user
The Chicken Ranch
AG
jpb1999 said:

What's the stigma with"30A"? We have a 4 and 2 year old and thought about doing someplace like Gulf Shores NEXT summer when they are 3 and 5. Is there something I should be aware of?

We are trying to shorten the trip as much as possible with young kids in the car, that is why we were thinking Gulf Shores over Destin...

I think if you are going with a 3 and 5 year old they won't know the difference between Gulf Shores and 30A. We were really toying with going to the Florida Panhandle this year were looking at the Holiday Inn Resort in either Fort Walton Beach or Pensacola. The Hilton Resort is another option. It seems that if you travel with another family, or if you have a large family, you are better off to rent a property in the 30A area. You would come out better doing this with a larger group. But if your group is small, you may be better off in Destin, Fort Walton Beach or Pensacola in a resort.

I would also add that Navarre is a very good alternative to Gulf Shores or 30A.

I also think it depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

We decided to go to the Smokey Mountains this summer.
Post removed:
by user
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
jpb1999 said:

No stigma at all. LOVE 30A. Just usually find it a bit more upmarket than Destin or other locations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.