Costa Rica

1,093 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jakeaggie84
78669AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Planning a trip need advice

East Coast or west coast?

Hotel recommendations are wanted
10andBOUNCE
AG
We've done Nayara (central) and Westin (west coast). Can probably search for trip reviews including mine on here.

We almost booked a trip last year to El Castillo, which is a smaller boutique type hotel. I would definitely look to go with a smaller place like this than big resort like the Westin. Tons of options up and down the west coast, which is where I'd be.
Ag CPA
AG
Not as much to see and do on the Caribbean side; beaches are ok but there are other places I would go to first if that was a priority.

FancyKetchup14
AG
My post from another thread on CR....

Go to the west side (Quepos), and hit Manuel Antonio National Park.

If you go to the park, spend $30 and hire a guide. He will point out a bunch of wildlife you likely wouldn't see. Most take spotting scopes with them so you can get a good look. We saw a couple sloths, monkeys, birds and lots of interesting insects. Outside of the monkeys, there's no way I would've found those animals myself.

There are a few beaches in Quepos...Playa Espadilla is the common, public beach that's right in front of all the bars. You can walk to a bar, pay $1.50 for a beer, once you're done go back and they'll give you $.60 back.

However the beaches in the park (Playa Espadilla Sur, Playa Manuel Antonio) are absolutely immaculate. You can't drink in the park though, so it's pretty nice to just go relax away from the busier beaches.
AgMechEngr
If you're into adventuring, I would recommend this:

https://www.costaricarios.com

I had a fantastic time.
Remember The Astrodome
AG
I will be booking a trip soon and wanted to ask how the roads are. Did you guys drive yourself or seek out other forms of transportation? I have heard mixed stories on the roads. TIA
Texan_Aggie
AG
If you go to Quepos, take Avianca and don't drive. It's a small 20 minute flight in a puddle jumper vs a 2-3 hour drive in a manual van.
jakeaggie84
AG
Has anyone been to papagayo area? Think we might be staying around there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.