French/Italian/Swiss/Austrian Alps skiing

1,467 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at going skiing overseas this winter. Have always wanted to ski the alps.

Will just be the two of us. Any recommendations on resorts for intermediate skiers not looking to break the bank?
KALALL
AG
I flew into Munich, rented a car, and drive to Kitzbuhel in Austria to ski. It was awesome and honestly it wasn't much if any more expensive than skiing in Summit County. Lift tickets, rentals, and food were all less than half the price of Colorado.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Where did you stay?
ChoppinDs40
AG
woah, are there like 7 mountains there? The Ski map is hard to follow.
KALALL
AG
We stayed in a ski in ski out near Kirchberg I found on AirbandB for like $120/night. I'd stay in Kitzbuhel if I went back but it will be more expensive.

The ski area there is massive. We skied hard for 3 days and probably covered 60% of it.
Rockne_Aggie
I took the family to Kitzbuhel right before Christmas this past year and stayed at Hotel Villa Licht. It's a hotel apartment and the rooms were quite spacious, plus the staff were super friendly. We paid roughly $180/night.

It's conveniently located in the heart of Kitzbuhel, and is about a 5-10 minute walk to the Hahnenkamm cable car. There's a ski rental place right across from the hotel which offers discounted prices for Villa Licht guests, and also a supermarket that is only a 2 minute walk. Only downfall to the place is they don't offer a full breakfast, but you can purchase different types of fresh bread which is delivered to the room at 8:00am every morning. The rooms have a kitchen, so you can cook if you wish.
MemorialTXAg
Everything in Europe is significantly cheaper. If this is your first time, I would fly to Munich and drive down to Italy. Get the Dolomiti Superski skipass 6 out 7 days and enjoy the endless opportunities. Sella Ronda is an amazing ski trip. Basically a 40km or so ski trip where you don't go the same slope twice. You can choose an easy or intermediate round. The intermediate is not tough at all. Skiing Kronplatz, Arabba, Corvara, etc. is awesome. Cortina is a great place to visit too. No one grooms the slopes better than Italians (shocking, I know).

In general, you can't go wrong anywhere from what you are considering. Can get a quaint family owned B&b for $40 per night per person if you want to go cheap. Plenty of ski in ski out options too.

If you can, avoid Saturday to drive in and out. Other than that traffic isn't bad.
HHAG
AG
head to Avoriaz and you can ski Switzerland and France on the same day!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Good suggestions.

Although, more detail is what I'm looking for.

Where to stay? Airports? What are the best lift ticket options, rentals, etc.?

We've done Europe plenty of times but not skiing, so it's a bit of a different bag.
MemorialTXAg
AggieFanatic09 said:

Good suggestions.

Although, more detail is what I'm looking for.

Where to stay? Airports? What are the best lift ticket options, rentals, etc.?

We've done Europe plenty of times but not skiing, so it's a bit of a different bag.

You got quite a bit to get you started. Ski ticket options, places to stay, resorts, days to travel, airports. Surely you can google to find a rental and the airport code for a Munich airport.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Dolomite pass is like 700 lifts and 1000 miles of terrain.

Are all those you lifted easily accessible to drive or does that require driving each day?

How far is Munich to the Italian alps?
MemorialTXAg
AggieFanatic09 said:

Dolomite pass is like 700 lifts and 1000 miles of terrain.

Are all those you lifted easily accessible to drive or does that require driving each day?

How far is Munich to the Italian alps?

There is only one Dolomiti Superski pass. It gives you access to all the 700 lifts in 1000 miles. Costs about a third what Vail does.

You can google map the rest. Avoid Saturdays to travel. If you travel on a Saturday multiply the usual travel time by 2.

There are seriously hundreds of places to stay within any price range. You can drive around or just enjoy one resort. All the ones I mentioned are connected so you can go multiple valleys every day without driving.

Arabba is my favorite, but you can't go wrong. Kronplatz is amazing; several cities to stay around there.

If you do Austria, what everyone else suggested is great. Austrians are weird and don't function on Sundays. Zell am see and Zillertal are great places too. Kitzbuehl is the high end resort so things will be pricier than the rest.
MemorialTXAg
Take it back, Dolomiti Super Ski 6 day pass costs the equivalent of 1.5 days in Vail. And the Italians groom all the slopes. Every night.
Post removed:
by user
ChoppinDs40
AG
Sella Ronda looks like a bucket list. All day ski run where you finish at the start. Wow.
FHKPLEX03
AG
Superior Post Hotel Ischgl. In Ischgl, Austria. Walk to the lifts. Plenty of nightlife you can easily walk to. Great app with all the lifts and runs mapped out that you can tie in with your phone GPS. Different skiing than the Rockies and it was a blast.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Thinking of doing about 8 days. 26th - 3rd flying to Munich - driving to Italy and doing sella Ronda 2 days, kronplatz1 day, kitzbuhel 2 days and swinging a day here or there in between.
ChoppinDs40
AG
narrowing this down a bit now. Thinking of passing on Austria because I'm a huge fan of corduroy groomers and the Sella Ronda is so incredibly unique.

Looking like itinerary is going to be flying into Venice (about same $ as Munich) and driving to Sella Ronda and Kronplatz.

Do you have suggestions on where town to stay in for the Ronda? I think Arabba comes well recommended.

We'll likely ski 5 days, both rounds on the Ronda and around that area one day. Then 2 up on the Kronplatz area (or would you suggest less or other areas in that part of Italy).

I think the World Ski Cup is going on at Kitzbuhel around then. While that would be cool, I'd rather ski than fight crowds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.