Cocobay Resort Antigua

2,493 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dsharp90
dsharp90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

My fiance and I are leaving for our honeymoon in 2 weeks for a weeks stay at Cocobay Resort in Antigua. A few questions on things to do and what to expect as I've never been to the Caribbean or and all-inclusive resort before:

1) What kind of electrical outlets do they have and do we need to buy and adapter?

2) I was looking at booking massages one day and another day doing the Creole Cruises Snorkel and Lobster Lunch Cruise. Any other excursions away from the resort worth looking into?

3) Anything tips/suggestions? I'm slighty worried we'll get bored but we picked Cocobay because we wanted seclusion and relaxation without the massive party scene I assumed would be at Sandals.
4) I know the Caribbean is known for rum, is it worth buying any rum from Antigua to bring back?

We've been counting down the days to this trip since I booked it (probably more so than the wedding) so I'd like to try and make it as smooth as possible! Thanks in advance
gigemaggies88
We stayed at cocoa hotel, very secluded and it was great! I think at one time they were owned by the same people.... the rum there is not worth bringing home... I would do the catamaran boat that goes around the island, lots of fun and lots of rum punch, it takes you by Eric claptons home.
Ag_07
AG
We stayed there back in 2012 for our honeymoon

1) Regular outlets. No need for adapters

2) Can't speak to this excursion, but we did the Wadadli Cats Circumnavigation Tour and it was awesome. Cruise in a catamaran around the entire island with a stop hallway through for snorkeling and lunch buffet then the bar opens and it's rum punch the rest of the afternoon. We had time to make a quick stop at the Falmouth Harbor to see some of the yachts docked there. Very cool way to see the entire island and I highly recommend this tour.

3) We also spent one day in St Johns walking around, shopping, and lunch. Took a cab to and from and we enjoyed it. We also did ziplining in the rain forest but it was kinda meh...Wouldn't go again.

Also there's Ffrye's Beach and Dennis' Cocktail Bar and Grill about a 1/4 mi down from the resort beach. We walked down there and had lunch and drinks and spent a few hours on that beach. We had the entire restaurant and beach to ourselves the entire time. Pretty nice and easy way to get away for a bit.

4) No clue

Enjoy! The resort is awesome. The views, rooms, food, staff are all top notch and we can't wait to make it back.
dsharp90
AG
I've looked at the Wadadli Cats, are they crowded? It seems like there's like 50-60 people on the boat?
Ken Adams
AG
I've got our honeymoon booked there as well for middle of May, so definitely come back to this thread and let me know how things went for you!

We're still researching a few things to do but sounds like we picked it for the same reasons y'all did. One thing we came across that was more "party scene" was something called dboat antigua. It's an old tanker that was rebuilt into a big funhouse of slides, the blob, etc.
Ag_07
AG
There's a good amount of people, but it's not crowded at all. We had plenty of room to sit up front or lay on the traps.

It's a big ass boat.

century2
AG
Great choice! We honeymooned there and have gone back for anniversary trips every year since.

We did a private catamaran tour called Catch The Cat last year and it was unbelievable. It was just the two of us along with the boat captain and hostess Lushi and Margot. The food and drinks were great and it was incredible to have a private charter vs a large group, especially for an anniversary (or in your case honeymoon) trip.
dsharp90
AG
One final question. Is the tap water drinkable without getting sick? Probably a newbie question but I have no idea.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Great info here. Thanks Ags.
Ken Adams
AG
Headed here next week!

Any suggestion on booking things in advance or did it seem like things were pretty open to decide the day before?
dsharp90
AG
We booked everything when we got there (all we did was the Creole Lobster Cruise and couples massages). We were a little limited on the day we could do the Cruise/snorkel trip so if anything I'd book that ahead of time. Enjoy!
Aggie1205
AG
For those who have been here, what airline did you use? It seems like many only fly east early in the morning making a post wedding flight more challenging.
MacDaddy Ag
AG
Aggie1205 said:

For those who have been here, what airline did you use? It seems like many only fly east early in the morning making a post wedding flight more challenging.

American Airlines. We flew out the morning after our wedding. Just plan on getting your sleep on the plane. Flights are not the most convenient when traveling to Antigua.
Ag_07
AG
I forgot who we flew on but we didn't fly out until Monday morning after our Saturday wedding.

We slept in, had brunch in the room, and relaxed on Sunday and stayed another night at the hotel. We woke up early as crap on Monday and flew out at like 6 am. Waking up that early the morning after would've been miserable.

Pretty sure all flights go to MIA for a layover then on to Antigua.
Ken Adams
AG
Ours was similar. Wedding on Friday and no good flight options the next day (without being hungover and exhausted) so we opted to relax Saturday, fly into Miami Saturday night and stayed at a hotel real close to the airport to take an early Sunday flight. Looking back, I wouldn't have changed anything about it.

Also, we flew AA from MIA to Antigua. It was pretty close to the only option.
dsharp90
AG
Sunday wedding here. We flew AA from IAH to MIA at 5:15am Monday morning to get all the travel in on 1 day. We got like 3 hours of sleep before leaving for the airport but we figured we'd just sleep on the beach. I know we wouldn't have changed a thing other than getting stuck in Miami due to weather on the way home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.