Advise for an excursion in Progresso

2,325 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
Southlake Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going on a short cruise for Spring Break. Any advice for a good excursion in Progresso? Will have 6 people- wife and me, 2 college freshman boys and 2 senior in high school girls. I like booking my own excursions if possible. Thanks
Texas Ag Mom
"Good excursion in Progresso"

Not sure one really exists. My daughter & I were there some years back & there is just not much there. At the time there was a free double decker bus that you could get a little tour of the town. Sit on top. Then we walked around town a bit & then down on the beach. We "rented" a couple of beach loungers & had some food/drinks for the rest of the afternoon & then headed back to the ship.
Southlake Ag
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

"Good excursion in Progresso"

Not sure one really exists. My daughter & I were there some years back & there is just not much there. At the time there was a free double decker bus that you could get a little tour of the town. Sit on top. Then we walked around town a bit & then down on the beach. We "rented" a couple of beach loungers & had some food/drinks for the rest of the afternoon & then headed back to the ship.

Thanks. That is what I'm finding on various forums.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I would walk down the pier to the little market there and browse then head back to the ship and take advantage of it being less crowded. I have been on two excursions there and both where pretty crappy.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
We are doing the Mi Casa es Su Casa through Carnival this same week on 3/14. Maybe I will see you there....check the message boards at cruise critc - there is an abundance of information there.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Progresso was a beating. We ended up doing the double decker bus tour. The highlight of that tour is stopping at some shack for $1.00 nasty Corona longnecks.

I would probably just stay on the boat and take advantage of less crowds at the pool.
jamesf
AG
I have always heard that Progreso is a good stop to do the Chichen Itza excursion, since there really isn't anything to do in town.
vin1041
AG
All you can really do there is take the bus from the ship and then walk to the beach. There are restaurants that have tables and chairs on the beach, and to sit in their areas you just have to order food and drink. We like Eladio's. There are massage areas. You will be asked NONSTOP to buy things from vendors, get ready to say "no, gracias" literally a thousand times. If you are looking to hang out, get some sun, enjoy some beers and snacks and family/friends, you will have a good time.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
have you seen these guys:

http://www.lawsonsyucatanexcursions.com/

Tree Hugger
AG
We took a field trip to the Dzibilchaltun Mayan ruins while in Progresso. It was a good time, and as we took the charter bus through town, I was glad that we hadn't elected to go to the "beach" there.
TheSheik
AG
We did Progresso back in 2012 - my post
https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2017528/replies/29872162

Mayapan was awesome
no crowds
full access at that time to the complete site
our tour guide Ralf was the highlight

The Chicken Ranch
AG
Cruises.

I guess some people like 'em.
uncover&humpit
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

Cruises.

I guess some people like 'em.
******bags.
I guess some people like to act like 'em.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Not to worry. I won't be on a cruise with you any time soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.