Nashville

1,781 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BoDog
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking our daughter to check out Nashville over spring break. She is 12.

Any suggestions on things we really need to do or see?
MCMXCVII
AG
Not sure about activities for a 12 yr old but a can't miss dining rec is Hattie B's Hot Chicken.

90 bull
AG
i live here in Nashville, do hopefully i can help. what are her interests? music? history? etc?
Potcake
AG
The Mother Clucker!!!
Absolute
AG
She is definitely interested in the music part.

I actually lived in Athens TN until 7th grade (long time ago) before moving to Dallas. I'm aware all the history, civil war and Indian, that is big in that area. Don't think she has a whole lot of interst in that stuff yet. But she might have some.

Might drive down to Athens one day to see that and some of the mountain stuff.
Wicked Good Ag
Ryman backstage tour...
90 bull
AG
agree on the Ryman tour. the country music hall of fame was good for my daughter when she was about that age. I live in Franklin, and really like the downtown area here for walking around.
Matsui
AG
Do the walkin Nashville tour
Aggie Farmer
AG
Is a Saturday morning good for visiting Franklin and having lunch? Any local craft breweries or restaurants you recommend there? Thanks!
90 bull
AG
yes, it is a good time. there is a farmer's market at the Factory, and the Factory has a lot of good places to just poke around in. It is just north of downtown on Franklin.
Downtown as all of the shops. If you want a beer, McCrery's a good Irish pub, but not a huge selection. Actually, the Mellow Mushroom has the best beer selection in downtown. For lunch, you have a lot of selection. Pucketts for traditional southern cooking, or either The Red Pony or Cork and Cow for a little more upscale, as well as Grays on Main. For dessert, either go to Merridee's for a cupcakes or pastries or Kilwins for ice cream or fudge.
Absolute
AG
Any other food recommendations?

What about Civil War stuff?
90 bull
AG
Franklin is lousy with civil war stuff, mainly relating to the second battle of Franklin in 1864. It was fought on the south side of town mainly, and you can go to Carnton Plantation to see the cemetery and battle lines. It is an interesting visit. While not Civil War based, going to the Hermitage is a fascinating place to visit also
BQ78
AG
In addition to Franklin, which had been built over for the most part, a large section of the Stone's River Battlefield exists at Murfreesboro it is run by the NPS so is better interpreted than Franklin.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I didn't do much in Nashville when I was there a year and a half ago, but we did enjoy the Sportsmans Grill, just south of Vanderbilt on 21st.

Good luck getting around. It isn't easy.
silent majority
I went in October and came back wanting to live there. We stayed in Brentwood and spent time in Nashville and Franklin.

Would highly recommend attending the Blue Bird Cafe one night (with the Listening Room as a backup plan). Hattie B's, as mentioned. Probably worth your time to attend the Ryman one evening and then hit the bars after (and before).
Also, spent a morning jogging around and exploring the Parthenon.
BoDog
AG
Amazing city on so many levels. Praying one of my kids can get into Vanderbilt...!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.