Belize retirement

1,795 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by V8Aggie
V8Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy - My folks are looking into retiring in Belize. Anyone here or their parents done this? If so, it would be great if they could be put in contact via e-mail to ask some questions.

Thanks!
Ag81Golf
Only been to Belize once and stayed in Ambergris Caye. Beautiful area to visit but not sure I would want to retire there. You have to consider quality of life and available medical services if you are at retirement age.

Quality of life there is decent but medical is very much lacking. I suggest they look at other areas of the Caribbean or Central America if they are interested.
V8Aggie
AG
Ag81Golf said:

Only been to Belize once and stayed in Ambergris Caye. Beautiful area to visit but not sure I would want to retire there. You have to consider quality of life and available medical services if you are at retirement age.

Quality of life there is decent but medical is very much lacking. I suggest they look at other areas of the Caribbean or Central America if they are interested.
Wife and I are heading to Victoria House in May (Ambergris Caye).

Parents are in the medical profession so they know what to look for regarding that. Thanks for the input though. I've read the largest issue with living on the island is that the closest place of care is Belize City which is a problem if you are in need of urgent care.

If issues come up, they still have their house in Texas and can always fly to Houston for routine check-ups.

I thought I remembered some TexAgs folks having properties down there. If so, I was hoping to get some info on living in the area.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I think if I was retiring in Belize that I would look in the Placencia area. I think there is some degree of health care there, but you would need to plan to return to Houston for anything major.

If your in-laws are physicians, they could probably easily have a working retirement and live quite well in Belize.
Potcake
AG
If they chose Ambergris, they might want to look into some kind of helicopter evacuation insurance. Also, Chetumal, the state capital of Quintana Roo, may be a consideration for higher end health care.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
However, getting to Chetumal from Ambergris could be tricky sometimes, depending on how the Federales want to treat Americans crossing into Mexico from Belize. If they sense a degree of emergency, you will need a wad of cash to pay them off. Might just be quicker to fly to Houston.
JSKolache
AG
My buddy from Jr High & his wife run Blue Water Grill in San Pedro, maybe stop for a bite to eat & ask them what it's like living as ex pats. He's been down there at least a decade.
Potcake
AG
Have eaten there.
V8Aggie
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

My buddy from Jr High & his wife run Blue Water Grill in San Pedro, maybe stop for a bite to eat & ask them what it's like living as ex pats. He's been down there at least a decade.
Awesome. Will have to do that.

Definitely looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the slow pace. Excited to try any good local eateries around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.