Help w/Lake Tahoe?

1,152 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bachelor99
Texas Ag Mom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have a meeting to attend in Aug so we will be staying 3 nts at the Hyatt in Incline Village on the north side of the lake. We have never been to the area so we were thinking of extending the trip an additional 2 nts & staying at a Marriott in S Lake Tahoe. Is there a better plan & what are some "do not miss" things I need to know? Thanks!
dcAg
Take a night cruise on the lake. They ship off from the beach at the Hyatt. They have snacks and plenty of beer and wine on the catamaran. A lot of fun. Dress warm!

Kings beach area has a nice little area with some restaurants and bars. The Grid is a great place to get a burger and have a few pops. There is a place called Spindelshanks near Kings beach that has live music on Tuesdays with a great happy hour. The food is solid!

The Ritz-Carlton has a great star gazing deal that is pretty awesome. At the top of Heavenly they have an "adventure park" that is supposed to be really fun.

If you go down the west side of the lake there is a place called Gar Woods. It is on the lake and a fun place to hang out. Its pretty well known. Get a Wet Woody drink for that is what they are known.

Lots of stuff to do at South Lake. You can find plenty of trouble there.
ColoradoMooseHerd
1. I second GarWoods - I love hanging out on the deck and having a few drinks
2. Marriott in South Lake Tahoe? Are you referring to the TimberRidge / Vacation Club? If so, you better book something now, because those units book up fast and usually not available whe summer comes around.
Texas Ag Mom
Those all sound like great suggestions for us. Yes I am talking about the Marriott Timber Ridge. We already have a room booked. Is that a good place/area to stay or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks!
CoolaidWade
AG
Staying a few nights at Incline Village and then in South Lake would be a great vacation.

Do you mountain bike or hike? If so you absolutely have to go up the Flume Trail while you are in Incline Village. It's one of the best experiences in the world. I do it once a year to reset my life button.

Heavenly looks like they are having a bunch of cool stuff in the summer now. I have never been on one of those alpine coasters but looks like they have one now there. I need to try it!
knoxtom
The flume trail is very beautiful. It is a terrible mountain biking trail though. It is about the 65th best trail in Tahoe

Ride Mr toads wild ride instead. It starts a couple miles south of slt and comes back to town

Slt is great. You don't have to plan anything, just do whatever looks fun at the moment. There are a million things to do
coop-aero-06
AG
knoxtom said:

The flume trail is very beautiful. It is a terrible mountain biking trail though. It is about the 65th best trail in Tahoe
I run on the flume trail a lot. Although I've never biked it, I would also agree that you can get a lot more enjoyment out of the trail by hiking it. I feel like if I were riding a bike along the trail I would constantly be worried about falling off a cliff.

If you're into hiking, then August is the perfect time to hike up into the surrounding mountains. Just have a look at alltrails.com and you will be inundated with hiking options.
62strat
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

Those all sound like great suggestions for us. Yes I am talking about the Marriott Timber Ridge. We already have a room booked. Is that a good place/area to stay or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks!
I would look elsewhere. As coloradomooseherd said, it's always booked solid, so it's probably not a very desirable place to be.
SW AG80
AG
We like staying at those Marriotts. If you are without kids, eat at Fiore's in SLT. Has become our fav restaurant in the US. Italian food. Very small so reservations are a must. Is owned by an Aggie. Nice guy. That time of year they have some good live concerts so check that out.
Texas Ag Mom
I see the parking at Timber Lodge is $29 a day. Just wondering if there is any public parking nearby? Thanks!
SW AG80
AG
Yes I think there is a parking garage in back that is public parking.
Skitch05
AG
The only parking garage I know of there is behind the movie theater and they charge like $8 an hour, so I doubt it will be much cheaper than the Marriott.

The Harrah's has a big parking lot behind it that is free. It's technically only for people going in to gamble so that is something to be aware of. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem parking back there though.
Bachelor99
AG
oh yea we love staying at timberlodge or grand residence club...both properties right in heavenly village and steps away from the heavenly gondola...also check out glen alpine falls on the south side....a beautiful cascading water falls..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.