Mexico City Recs

1,913 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Matsui
archangelus2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi All,

The Wife and I are heading to Mexico City this weekend for the first time. We are expecting our fourth (and final) child in May and this is our last hurrah before we are chained to the house for months on end. Looking for any kind of recs or tips. I normally plan our trips to a T but this one I am playing it more by ear and am just looking forward to sleeping in for a few days. We are staying on the border of Roma Norte & Condessa in a high rise apartment.

So far our only real plans are to see mexican wrestling. I'd like to just wander the city streets and get a feel for the place. Any good recs on places to eat are welcome, we're not much for fine dining as casual sit downs are more our style. We will be skipping the pyramids as I don't think my Wife is up for it physically, maybe next trip.
Premium
AG
Don't listen to the locals who tell you to go to La Zona Rosa at night.
Premium
AG
It's been 14 years since I went, but I do remember liking The National Museum of Anthropology:

Museo de Nacional Antropologia

https://g.co/kgs/7uFbkr
TXCityAggie
AG
Premium said:

I always go to Zona Rosa when I'm in Mexico City. Haha

Go see the Zocalo and walk around the Centro Histroco. There are plenty of good options to eat. Condesa and Polanco are good areas for a calm evening out. I lived in Mexico City for a while...in Escandon. It's an easy walk from Condessa and there are some great little restaurants there.
Premium
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Premium said:

I always go to Zona Rosa when I'm in Mexico City. Haha

Go see the Zocalo and walk around the Centro Histroco. There are plenty of good options to eat. Condesa and Polanco are good areas for a calm evening out. I lived in Mexico City for a while...in Escandon. It's an easy walk from Condessa and there are some great little restaurants there.
All I remember is a constant barrage of men trying to get me and my friend into "clubs" for "drinks" which obviously turned out to be strip clubs. We weren't/aren't into that so we realized we had been duped pretty quickly when we didn't turn down the 15th person - they must have tricked us pretty good.

I'm sure there are great parts of it but that was our experience and I don't know if OP's expecting wife is wanting that for a night out.
TXCityAggie
AG
No it's definitely not for a man and his pregnant wife.
DanHo2010
AG
Looks like Club America is out of town, so the Azteca isn't an option, but UNAM are playing Xolos at the Olympic Stadium this weekend.
MemorialTXAg
No reason to leave Polanco. I would rebook immediately. My experience is 15 trips to DF in the last 2 years.
jelfag06
AG
+1 on Polanco. If you can try to get a table at Pujol. Incredible meal
archangelus2
AG
Here is my follow up trip report:

Quick takes:
1. We never felt unsafe.
2. Nobody Speaks English
3. Very few tourists
4. Museums aren't in English either.
5. Food is consistently 1/2 as expensive as in the US
6. Next time I will stay in Central Historic district.
7. Weather was perfect in late February.
8. Zero Mosquitoes (Zika concern)
9. Security Guards & Police are EVERYWHERE

We had a great trip and will be going back for sure. We stayed in Roma Norte which was ok, it feels like an authentic hipster neighborhood. Our Airbnb apartment was very nice and clocked in at only $70 USD a night. I will try to stay in in the central historic district next time as we missed several big-ticket items there due to things being closed on Monday's which I don't understand. Close them on Tuesday's or Wednesday's so people coming for extended weekends don't miss out. We did check out Polanco and it was a little too American and Ritzy for our tastes, nice area though for sure. Coyoacan was fun to roam around on Sunday, they had a cool market we bought some art at. We also visited a church plant there that is part of the same network (Acts 29) as our Church in Houston which was an awesome experience.

The food was awesome, it's nice not having to worry about prices and eating at nicer restaurants than you normally would. I enjoyed getting Limonada's, I had one with Basil in it that was absolutely delicious. One thing I was surprised by was there is very little activity in the evenings, the streets are pretty much empty after dinner time. Also, the lack of English at the museums blows my mind, for example the Anthropology museum is absolutely world class and explains your entire history up until 1500 AD or so but foreigners will be clueless as hardly anything is in English. How is sharing your country's history through simple translation not in your charter?

I really enjoyed the castle and the Soumaya art museum. I had no idea the US Marines took Mexico City and that is what the "halls of Montezuma" verse references. The Soumaya art museum is fascinating as it is basically a billionaire's art hoarding on display, you would think after the 20th Rodin hand sculpture that would have been enough for this guy.

As is widely documented, Uber is dirt cheap and awesome. Our most expensive trip was 40 minutes from the airport at $7 USD. Most trips were around $2 USD. I highly recommend seeing the Lucha Libre Mexican Wrestling if you are into unique cultural experiences, my Wife and I had a blast. Also start breaking your large bills early as a lot of the street food is so inexpensive you need smaller change and the vendors don't like to break larger bills.

Dog parking in Roma.

Steak & chilaquiles for $10 can't be beat.

Ubiquitous market photo.

Museo Soumaya

This sculpture blows my mind. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Somebody has been paying their tithes.

Police everywhere.

Fresh Tortillas

Street Sweets (not a fan)

Acts 29 Church

Walk up to the castle
MAGA
AG
My dad and I went to Mexico City last August. We did many of the things that you did.

We also visited the Pyramids and went to a tequila tasting. I will definitely go back to Mexico City as I want to take my fianc.

We stayed in the Historic District at the Hampton Inn which was great location to do many attractions. Just a few blacks from the Zocolo.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I just booked at the same hotel - is the area around the hotel conducive to dinner and drinks in the evening?

Other than uber, did anyone use the metro system?

Can anyone elaborate on the Lucha libre show? I think we're going on the Friday night were there.

Any cant miss restaurants?
MAGA
AG
The historic district is the place to stay and specifiacally the Hampton Inn.

We did most of our dining in the Polanco area at Butcher and Sons, the Paseo De la Reforma area at The Capital Grille and Harry's.

We did go to dinner one night at a restraunt that over looks the Zocolo for some authentic Mexican. The Gran Hotel.

There is 2 good restraunts next door to the Hampton Inn.
archangelus2
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

I just booked at the same hotel - is the area around the hotel conducive to dinner and drinks in the evening?

Other than uber, did anyone use the metro system?

Can anyone elaborate on the Lucha libre show? I think we're going on the Friday night were there.

Any cant miss restaurants?
The Lucha Libre is basically Mexico's version of the WWF. It is campy, the crowd gets real into it and the characters are a little absurd. It's a family event. You can get tickets at ticket master, around $20 for the first few rows. Bring change as the ushers require a tip.

Speaking of change, start breaking your big bills early at restaurants and shops. The street vendors won't want to break them for you and you'll need the smaller denominations.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Thanks.

I also have a reservation at the Hilton on Reforma, about 1.3km from the Hampton Inn - was trying to see what the best bet was.

Anybody have reports on the ease of use of the subway? My only hesitation is that there is are designated cars for women only to reduce the amount of groping....that wouldn't go over with me very well.
Matsui
AG
Just use Uber.
Matsui
AG
I Can't see the photos. Can you re-post?

We are also staying in a hotel reforma
archangelus2
AG
Matsui said:

I Can't see the photos. Can you re-post?

We are also staying in a hotel reforma
Updated, for some reason my google photos hotlinking always goes stale.
TXCityAggie
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

Thanks.

I also have a reservation at the Hilton on Reforma, about 1.3km from the Hampton Inn - was trying to see what the best bet was.

Anybody have reports on the ease of use of the subway? My only hesitation is that there is are designated cars for women only to reduce the amount of groping....that wouldn't go over with me very well.
The subway is very functional and gets you where you need to go fast. Just avoid at rush hour if you can because I can get very uncomfortable.
Matsui
AG
I still can't view them. Anyone else having this problem?
archangelus2
AG
Matsui said:

I still can't view them. Anyone else having this problem?
I switched to facebook, hopefully you can see them now.
Matsui
AG
Yup! Thank you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.