Anchorage

1,288 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pahdz
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am planning on running a marathon in Anchorage in June 2018. My wife, 4 year old (then) and both sets of grandparents would be going. My plan is to get in late Thursday, relax/see the town Friday and then run the race on Saturday.

On the Tuesday after, the plan is to join a land and sea cruise with Princess. The land part of the tour takes us up into Denali for a couple nights, staying in the park before heading to the port for a 7 day cruise.

My question would be, what should we do between Saturday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon? It looks like Kenai Fjords National Park is driveable for a day trip. Would it possibly be worth a stay overnight down there?
Anything else that isn't Denali that we should do around Anchorage?
jetescamilla
AG
You can take a day trip though Hatcher Pass and get some good scenery. It'll involve you driving to Wasilla and going through the pass and popping out in Willow then driving back to Anchorage.

Another option would be to take a 2 day trip to Valdez. It's about a 5 hour very scenic drive 1 way but there are lots off pull outs on the way to take great photos. You have viewpoints for the Matanuska Glacier, Wrangell St. Elias, a closs up view of the Worthington Glacier, then the beautiful stretch though Thompson Pass. Along the way plan for a dinner or lunch at the Princess Lodge at Copper Center. Great view of Wrangell St. Elias. You'll want to make a reservation (you don't have to be a guest to eat there). Stay the night in Valdez then come back. This route is by far my favorite I've done in my 3 years of living here.

I'd link you photos, but a simple google search will show you what I'm talking about. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

PS

You'll want a high clearance vehicle for going through Thompson Pass. I always see tourists in economy rental cars, don't be that person. If you stick to the highway, the trip to Valdez is paved the whole way. Watch for moose and bear.
malenurse
AG
jetescamilla said:

You can take a day trip though Hatcher Pass and get some good scenery. It'll involve you driving to Wasilla and going through the pass and popping out in Willow then driving back to Anchorage.

Another option would be to take a 2 day trip to Valdez. It's about a 5 hour very scenic drive 1 way but there are lots off pull outs on the way to take great photos. You have viewpoints for the Matanuska Glacier, Wrangell St. Elias, a closs up view of the Worthington Glacier, then the beautiful stretch though Thompson Pass. Along the way plan for a dinner or lunch at the Princess Lodge at Copper Center. Great view of Wrangell St. Elias. You'll want to make a reservation (you don't have to be a guest to eat there). Stay the night in Valdez then come back. This route is by far my favorite I've done in my 3 years of living here.

I'd link you photos, but a simple google search will show you what I'm talking about. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

PS

You'll want a high clearance vehicle for going through Thompson Pass. I always see tourists in economy rental cars, don't be that person. If you stick to the highway, the trip to Valdez is paved the whole way. Watch for moose and bear.
Jetescamilla,

For the return trip, would it be worth it to take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier than drive back to Anchorage?

I wanted to try that the last time I was there but ran out of time.
jetescamilla
AG
I've never been on that leg of the ferry system but I image in would be a great way to continue the "loop" without having to backtrack. I've taken the ferry here in Southeast Alaska a couple of time and I've enjoyed it. You'll most likely see plenty of whales and bring some binoculars and look for bears and mountain goats. The only downside to the ferry system is that you are stuck to their schedule and the trips are infrequent. Meaning that the only trip that works on your schedule could start/end in the late night/early AM. But...if it's summer it'll probably still be daylight
BQ78
AG
Hey what dates, we might be on the same tour?
BQ78
AG
Never mind I see the marathon is a week before we arrive, so don't mess up the lodge in the Denali or the ship, we are there the next week
BQ2001
AG
We are going the week after the marathon, so June 19-30, 2018. I'll be the guy by the buffets for a week.
BQ2001
AG
Thanks - I'll look into that for sure
BQ2001
AG
Any thoughts on Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park?
jetescamilla
AG
Unfortunately I've never been to Seward/Kenai Fjords National Park. I have driven down the Sterling Highway close to Homer, AK passing the turn off to go to Seward. That stretch of road is scenic and I imagine it only gets better as you continue on to Seward. Honestly, driving anywhere in Alaska is a great experience. I hope to not get complacent, I still bring my camera along on work trips and peak out the window late at night hoping to catch the northern lights (just saw it yesterday as a matter of fact).

Pahdz
Seward is cool how much time you got there? We stayed there a few nights and did several things. Sea Life center is cool and the Seward Ale House was a great local bar

Alaska is an amazing place. We flew into ANC and drove to Homer for a few nights them over to Seward.
BQ2001
AG
We would probably have 3 days/2nights in Seward if we went that way.
Pahdz
We did a kayak trip through Liquid Adventures in Seward that took us to the mouth of the bay and we hiked up to an abandoned WWII fort. Highly recommend them. Forget who we chartered for our salmon fishing but they were great also.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.