Charleston, SC - Apr. 6-11 - anniversary trip with wife

1,885 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Old Jock 1997
Mister Mystery Guest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're planning to fish one day and eat, drink, and tour the rest of the time. What should we be sure to not miss? Staying at The Jasmine House Inn. Have reached out to Charleston Angler in search of a shallow water, light spinning tackle guide but haven't confirmed one yet. Thanks in advance!
Kool
AG
Husk Restaurant and a walking tour of Charleston
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
Love Charleston...

While never been fishing i can give rec on a lot of other stuff.

Dining you really cant go wrong with a little research. It is all about your palate and price point.

Hit up the historic district, Ft Sumter, take a walking tour, With your fishing and possible sullivans island trip it would be fantastic.

As for food....

Husk, FIG, 82 Queen, Charleston Grill, Obstinate Daughter, Hominy Grill are all solid choices.

We had a rec of Muse which we thought was great that many dont know about except locals.

You could eat five weekends in a row with numerous meals and if planned correctly never hit the same place and still have quality food.

Probably top 5 in US for food IMHO

Bulldog73
AG
Most anywhere we looked at was amazing. We settled for Poogan's Grill and Eli's Table for our nicer, yet still affordable meals. Amazing. While I'm sure Husk, et. al are even better, for our tastes, those places were remarkable.

We did a horse carriage tour of the city which was a great way to get a feel for the city.

Brown Dog Deli was a hot dog place, super low key, but great. Three birds cafe was a quaint little brunch stop. Tattooed Moose is a dive bar that had good burgers. There was a german style gastropub recommended to us, but it was entirely forgettable to me.
Kool
AG
Since moving to the Southeast, I have really become a fan of Charleston. I have done a walking tour twice with Ashley on the Cooper 843 518-1977. The lady is an amazing historian and a bit of an interesting character as well. In a good way. There is an amazing amount of pre-Civil War history that occurred in Charleston of which I was unaware, as well as the obvious with Fort Sumter etc. Jail tour and haunted walking tours at night were fun - my son's picks but you really learn a lot of history when you go on these. Go across the river to tour the USS Yorktown and a submarine and destroyer as well if that interests you. Besides Husk, Toast for breakfast is a must. Poogan's Porch and Hominy Grill are also outstanding. Coca-Cola cake at Jestines is supposedly amazing, although I haven't been there. The wife can blow lots of dough on King Street at all of the shops. If you like art, there are tremendous art galleries there, my favorite of which is Anglin Smith Fine Art. Enjoy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mister Mystery Guest
Very helpful. Thank y'all!
Ag_07
AG
One of our favorite evenings was dinner at The Ordinary and drinks at Prohibition.

If you've got a day spend it on Folly Beach. There's a State Park with a nice beach area and there are some great little restaurants in the area.
Wicked Good Ag
Echo the sentiment of above poster on the Ordinary...havent been to Prohibition but heard good things.

Wanted to mention to take the tour as one of your initial things that you do in the historic district. IIRC they are staggered by the city but the Two Sisters tour is really good. We missed out of them because sold out and off day. Ours was Charleston Sole and it was good but talked to another couple at a dinner and they told us about Two sisters and it compared much better in my opinion. Try to get a historical tour rather than church or architecturial tour unless huge into that. Reason being is you will see most of those on the tour anyway and see a lot of the places you want to eat in the historic district on a tour. rainbow row, the battery, John Rutledge home, Rhett Aiken home, slave trade house and various gothic style churches will be found during those tours.

The historic district is great to stay in for two days and then venture out. You likely wont need a car at all until you leave the area like Folly Beach, James Island etc
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We are also planning an anniversary trip to Charleston. We will be there in the summer. How are the beaches? I heard the water is murky.
sixiron
AG
I've only been to Charleston once which was about 4 years ago and i really enjoyed it. Really good food and lots of nice areas for walking around. Go to Cru Cafe for lunch and get the brisket sandwich. For dinner, go to Magnolia and get the fried chicken plate.
BQ78
AG
Try to get in and see the Hunley
Kool
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

We are also planning an anniversary trip to Charleston. We will be there in the summer. How are the beaches? I heard the water is murky.
Yep. It's a bit better on Kiawah Island, a short drive away, but really not all that much. It's definitely not Florida Panhandle or south Florida type water and beaches.
Ag_07
AG
Beaches are wide, nice, and clean. The water isn't muddy, but it's not clear.

It's not Destin, but it's way better than Galveston. Really enjoyed our couple days on the beach.
gindaloon
AG
Fort Moultrie is great.

The Grocery for dinner is excellent.

167 Raw is great spot for lunch.
claym711
AG
Tommy Dew's walking tour was the best I've been on. If you like civil war history, do this.

Best restaurants:
Edmunds Oast
Husk
Magnolias (fried chicken)

Fog is overrated. The beaches are overrated - I would skip Sullivan's Island.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Any recommendations on hotels? I have allergies, so it is important that our hotel is newer or somewhat newly renovated. If not a suggestion for a hotel, maybe what part of town is best for hotel location.
Kool
AG
We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Meeting Street a few times. It's very clean and convenient. IMO, Charleston is a town that is easily walkable but not that street parking friendly so having a car isn't such a great idea. If possible financially, stay downtown.
Post removed:
by user
Old Jock 1997
AG
We are at most of the restaurants listed here when we went in the fall.

One that was left off was Peninsula Grill at the Planter's Inn. We stayed there -- great hotel btw.

At PG, the crab, spinach, and fried green tomatoes salad is hands-down the best salad I've ever had. We shared it as an appetizer. I'm not a big salad guy, but it was fantastic. And the ultimate coconut cake for dessert is incredible as well.

Charleston is a great foodie city!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.