Headed to Jaipur India for a wedding (Aggie Wedding)

4 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Talon2DSO
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever been there? This will be my first trip to India. Excited to eat and see incredible part of the world.
BQ78
AG
Close your eyes while be driven places, trust in the Lord and Indian drivers. At first I thought Indians were the worst drivers in the world but after a week I realized they were the best drivers in the world!

Go to Agra and see the Red Fort and Taj. I hear Jaipur is nice to but did not go there I was in Delhi, Agra, Mumbai and Chenaii.

India is a country of sense overload both visual, sound, smell and sight but very interesting. Eat lots of Garlic Naan its the best.
Talon2DSO
AG
Awesome thanks for the heads up. One of the guys going with us is setting up the tour of Taj. This is a once in a lifetime trip and I'm really happy and honored to go. A buddy is getting married and he's flying a group of us out for his wedding.
johnmyu
Spent a couple of days in Jaipur. We got a local guide for a day which was great - took us around to areas we likely would not have seen. Palace of winds and the astrological park were cool - not a ton of sights to see there which is why I also would recommend a trip to Agra as well.

Forgot - there is a hill fort outside town as well I think - rode an elephant up to it. Was not a bad way to spend a few hours.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BQ78 said:

Close your eyes while be driven places, trust in the Lord and Indian drivers. At first I thought Indians were the worst drivers in the world but after a week I realized they were the best drivers in the world!
This times Eleventy Billion.

And get lots of small notes. Nobody can deal with a 2000 Rs. note worth about $33 USD.
I Play With Guns
S
This is the one part of the world I can't wait to get too!!!! I'm soo close to it I just haven't pulled the trigger on going yet. It was either India or Vietnam for me and I couldn't pass up Vietnam since it's No. 2 on my travel bucket list!

Enjoy yourself! I can't wait to hear your thoughts when you return!! Don't forget to give us a review When you get back!!!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Additional lesson learned today. Try to not take any Rupees out of the country because nobody wants them. When I arrived at the Sydney Airport today, they would not take any of my $70 worth of Rupees. Not even my 2000 Rs note. So, try to manage your cash down to zero before you leave India.
Talon2DSO
AG
Getting my visa taken care of and now looking at budget. Thanks for the heads up on using smaller notes. Is it safe to use credit cards? I was thinking of leaving my debit cards in the US for security reasons. As far as monetary security, is it safe to bring credit/debit cards or should I just collect travelers cheques like our ancestors once did?
Enzo The Baker
AG
I would take one credit card and one debit card. ATMs are really prevalent and convenient. I would also keep some US cash on you in case of an emergency.
Al Bula
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Getting my visa taken care of and now looking at budget. Thanks for the heads up on using smaller notes. Is it safe to use credit cards? I was thinking of leaving my debit cards in the US for security reasons. As far as monetary security, is it safe to bring credit/debit cards or should I just collect travelers cheques like our ancestors once did?
I had my credit card used for small charges a month after I had been to Delhi. Given that I only used that card at the hotel bar I feel fairly certain the scumbag bartender stole my number. I got the charges credited back with no issue. This was at the Shang Ri La Eros, a pretty swanky hotel.

India is a crazy place. I would like to get back there and visit the Taj.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Additional lesson learned today. Try to not take any Rupees out of the country because nobody wants them. When I arrived at the Sydney Airport today, they would not take any of my $70 worth of Rupees. Not even my 2000 Rs note. So, try to manage your cash down to zero before you leave India.
isn't there some sort of currency buy back/trade in or something like that going on there right now? in general though you are right...Indian is one of those currencies you dont wana leave the country with.
Talon2DSO
AG
how much did you budget per day while there? I'm thinking $150 or so but that may be too much
I do want to bring back gifts and goodies for the family
concerned vet
Get a guide from your hotel and have them take you shopping. You will see the most incredible textiles, silk, jewelry, marble work etc. rugs rugs and cotton blocking. The most interesting part is to watch the craftsmen, all hand done and amazing detail. Do not go out after dark alone, always have a guide. The country is sensory overload. The hotels can help you with cash, use a credit card. Go to a Hindu prayer service at a temple, do not drink the water, be careful with food , we only ate at hotels or places that our guide took us to. Varanasi is worth it if you have time. The ghats and funeral cremations are something to see.
Al Bula
AG
concerned vet said:

Varanasi is worth it if you have time. The ghats and funeral cremations are something to see.
Uh, don't let any of the Hindu priests have you over for dinner.

Second watching the food intake. Eat only stuff that is cooked. Everything I ate was cooked but I must have gotten something that brushed up against contaminated (to Americans) vegetables and got a bit queasy. Nothing a little Immodium and wine couldn't handle. But two of my coworkers moronically ate some sandwiches with cucumbers and lettuce. They were sh tting all over the place.
Aggie1391
India is dirt cheap. Not sure where you're staying and what you plan on doing most days, but $150 is a lot to spend unless you're trying to spend it. A lot of places still only deal in cash, and I wouldn't trust them with my card unless it was a nice hotel or something.

As stated, don't eat anything that isn't fully cooked or fried, unless you have steel stomach. In which case, eat tons of street food. Drink bottled water only. If you're going out and about, might be a good idea to carry some toilet paper with you.

Also, when you're shopping for things, everyone will realize you're a foreigner and will jack up prices what whatever you're trying to buy. Even though it'll still be cheap when you convert to USD, you should still bargain with them to save a few bucks.

If you give money to any beggar, the rest of them will come up to you and expect some as well.
Talon2DSO
AG
I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency in Delhi,cost is 7000R per night. the groom got our group a block of rooms there plus that's also the location of the wedding. I'm bringing a ton of imodium and will try my best to stay away from street food but getting sick may be worth it.

I do want to shop when I can. I'd love to bring back some nice things for the family and maybe even buy me a nice knock off watch. seems like there is quite a bit of wealth out there too so not sure how prices would translate for the real deal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.