Denver/Boulder Suggestions

1,231 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mpl35
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I are headed to Denver next weekend Saturday through Tuesday sort of for my birthday.

We have flights booked, a room at the Omni Interlocken, and I'll pick up a car rental. Other than that, we have no plans and I'm looking to you guys for some suggestions.

When I booked the airfare last year I had tentatively planned to ski a day or two since that used to be a yearly trip for us, but since then we've found out we're expecting so that's off of the list now. I searched this forum and was able to find a few good suggestions like checking out Red Rocks, Garden of the Gods, Estes Park and the Coors Brewery. I had also remembered wanting to try the Royal Gorge train trip, but that's a bit of a haul from the area and reviews don't seem as good as I recall. I would also like to check out RMNP, but I'm not sure about access this time of year though it appears that Bear Lake should still be accessible.

I'm pretty outdoors oriented and the wife isn't as much so these days with the nausea, so we'll try and balance a bit of both. Any suggestions on what to do in the area that doesn't involve skis or too much time spent outdoors?
Matsui
AG
Coors Brewery tour and have lunch down in Golden. All walkable.
The Lost
Realization point on flagstaff mountain right outside of Boulder has a beautiful view without requiring much walking if she's not feeling up for much of a hike but still wants a view. Pretty drive too.
BQ2001
AG
If you do the Coors tour, Bobs Atomic Burger is right across the street and has pretty good burgers. D'Deli in downtown Golden is pretty good too.

RMNP is open but you won't be able to drive to the top visitor center, but you probably wouldn't want all that winding with a pregnant wife.
62strat
AG
BQ2001 said:

If you do the Coors tour, Bobs Atomic Burger is right across the street and has pretty good burgers. D'Deli in downtown Golden is pretty good too.

RMNP is open but you won't be able to drive to the top visitor center, but you probably wouldn't want all that winding with a pregnant wife.
A pregnant woman, presumably from low elevation, probably wouldn't want to be at the elevations of RMNP anyway.

OP, I'd stay east of the foothills.
Aggietaco
AG
She's spent a fair amount of time traveling to elevation and has never suffered from any altitude illnesses, then again, she's never been pregnant either.
mpl35
AG
check out the train into town. save on a rental. rent for a day or two from town if you need one. they bend you over at the airport for rentals.
Aggietaco
AG
mpl35 said:

check out the train into town. save on a rental. rent for a day or two from town if you need one. they bend you over at the airport for rentals.
Full size rental from Alamo is only $120 for 4 days. Also there's no train, that I'm aware of, from Broomfield into Denver.
Aggietaco
AG
Also, we still have no/limited plan and we fly out in the morning. I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone else has suggestions.

So far, the only semi-concrete activities will be Coors brewery on Monday and I might try and get a run in on Saturday or Sunday at Chautauqua up to South Boulder Peak while the rib rests.
mpl35
AG
Aggietaco said:

mpl35 said:

Full size rental from Alamo is only $120 for 4 days. Also there's no train, that I'm aware of, from Broomfield into Denver.

Maybe they have gotten reasonably priced. They were nuts a few years back because of the extra fees the airport charged. The train is from the airport to town. It's a cheap and easy way to get downtown from the airport. Broomfield...not so much!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.