US Virgin Islands

1,985 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAG 05
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for info on the US Virgin Islands for a family vacation with elementary / junior-high kids in the summer. It looks like we'd stay in St. Thomas. All I know is we don't need passports, and its in the Caribbean somewhere.
BSD
AG
Look at Caneel Bay on St John, as well. I love that place. It's quiet, there's good food, and there is great snorkeling all around the peninsula, as well as more great snorkeling all over the island. It's a lot less crowded than St Thomas.
Bruce Almighty
AG
+1 on Caneel Bay. St. John > St. Thomas
Madaman
you guys must have money to afford caneel.
BSD
AG
Even if Caneel isn't your thing, there are numerous other options on St John, including a Westin. The whole island is incredible. Summer time is usually the low season and rates are cheaper. I still suggest St John over St Thomas.
Philo B 93
Is St Croix something I should consider?
Post removed:
by user
murphyag
AG
I would choose St. John or St. Croix way ahead of St. Thomas. They are much nicer islands. Prettier and safer environment for teens. St. Thomas is crowded and seems like there are some sketchy people and areas there. I only stay there long enough to catch ferry to St. John.
metrag06
AG
My in-laws are owners at Marriott's Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas, it'd be a nice place to stay if you have a large group. There is plenty to do in St. Thomas although you do have to use some common sense - i.e., don't stop at the nice pretty empty beach on the side of the road by yourself. St. John is beautiful and has lots of hiking/beaches but is a far less populated and 'busy' island.

While a passport isn't required, I would strongly suggest taking them if you have one. It will make getting back into the CONUS easier and also allows you to then visit the BVI, which has plenty of neat things to do. If you take your passports I'd suggest doing a day tour on the Breakaway boat, which picks up on St. Thomas and St. John and then visits several spots in the BVI. My wife and I have done it 3-4 times now and it's always a fun way to see more of the islands.

Haven't been to St. Croix so I can't help there (I've always wanted to try the seaplane) but I've heard it's best spot if you want to gamble or go golfing.
KW02
AG
If for the family, get a VRBO in St John.

We stayed in St Thomas when we went and did day trips to St. John and the BVI's. If we went back, we would spend more time in St. John.
Greener Acres

Quote:

use some common sense - i.e., don't stop at the nice pretty empty beach on the side of the road by yourself.

Why is this? Went to Vieques recently and that was the whole point - finding an isolated beach and enjoying it. Vieques didn't seem remarkably clean or crime free to me.
Kool
AG
http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/atlanta-woman-killed-grenada-was-raped-police-say/cIfnxMxBq8veGcf6bEhBHN/

Because of things like this. They were on a very secluded part of a beach.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Kool said:

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/atlanta-woman-killed-grenada-was-raped-police-say/cIfnxMxBq8veGcf6bEhBHN/

That happens everywhere, including every city in America
Potcake
AG
Kool said:

Wow, so you extrapolated an isolated incident in Grenada to include the USVI? smh

Chicago had 700 murders last year, DO NOT walk the streets of Snook alone.
Kool
AG
I do surgery where she used to work. She was an absolute sweetheart who wouldn't hurt a fly. I was doing surgery there today and in my O.R. we were talking about the one-year anniversary of her death and wishing she hadn't gone so far off the beaten path. And it's true that Grenada isn't exactly the USVI, but there are plenty of places in the U.S. I would be wary of as you pointed out. I think that's what metrag06 was referring to. Sorry if I was wrong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Philo B 93
Thanks for all the info. I'm now leaning toward a vrbo on St. John,and I'll skip st croix. I would go to the BVI, but with a large family, that adds a lot of expense (passports for kids, $45 a piece cover charge for BVI, etc, and we've never seen the USVI, yet.
metrag06
AG
I was told this due to potential for robberies. A couple of coworkers at my current and precious office both used to work in Puerto Rico and mentioned this (although it is apparently much safer to do in PR than on St.Thomas). I've never felt unsafe while vacationing there.
sushi94
AG
My family just did a late summer vacation on St. John.

We loved it. We did a VRBO and rented a Jeep for the week. We never felt unsafe. We did go to St. Thomas one day to do the zip-line there. The kids 10 and 13 had a blast. We didn't go to the beach on St. Thomas so no help there.

We hung out at Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Beach, Maho Bay, and Francis Bay during the week.

The kids no longer want to go to Destin. On St. John, you can go to a different type of beach each day with great snorkeling for beginners.

Couple of notes - give yourself some time to deal with the Ferry from St. Thomas - even though the actual ferry time is about 20 minutes, you could be stuck waiting to get on for an hour or so. Depending on the house you get if you VRBO a 4x4 may be absolutely necessary. We didn't want to stay at a resort and enjoy cooking so the house was the better choice for us.
TXAG 05
AG
went to St Thomas in October and had a blast. We did a day trip that had a snorkeling stop on the way to Jost Van Dyke for a couple hours at the Soggy Dollar Bar. Had a blast. Just try to keep the women from spending too much money at the jewelry shops.

Like others said, it's better to have your passport because you have to clear customs at the airport when going home, plus it opens you up to day trips to the BVIs, if that's something you want to do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.