Santa Fe recs

3,237 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Twelfthman99
BClark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are going to Santa Fe for a weekend around Valentine's. Staying at the Inn of the Anasazi. Any restaurant recommendations or anything else? No skiing, just hanging out for the weekend.

Thanks.
Al Bula
AG
Hitchcock Naval Air Station blimp hangar
Haak Winery
Gulf Greyhound Park
Tanger Outlets
Dumpster Fire
Eat at the Plaza cafe for a good old fashion diner experience.
Back road pizza is a good pizza place
Galisteo Bistro for upscale
Tia Sophias for good Mexican
Cafe Pasquals for a great breakfast
Santa fe Bite is a great GCCB
The Shed is our favorite place to eat

For a quick pick up dinner at home Bumblebees is good food as well.

Our family has a house there so we go multiple times a year. Post if you have any other questions.
Ag81Golf
El Dorado Hotel bar is a great place to have a drink in the evening!
BClark
AG
Good stuff. Thanks.

Anything worth driving to see during the day on a Saturday?
WestTXCoyote
AG
Second 'The Plaza' cafe. I was recently there with famiy. Tried a place called Cowgirl, and don't recommend. Tia Sophia's was our breakfast place most days. Rooftop Pizza was also decent.
SLF11
AG
I thought Tia Sophia's wasnt that good.

Pantry for breakfast was excellent.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

When did they move that to Santa Fe, NM?????

As far as the OP, one of our favorite restaurants is Gabriels, up 285 toward Pojoaque. I don't know how good the roads are this time of year, but Valles Caldera up past Los Alamos, is one of the prettiest places around. And LA has some neat museums. Walk past 109 East Palace for a little Manhattan project history.

A link to an older thread, with links to some of my other New Mexico threads:

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2779588/replies/47126917

CoolaidWade
AG
Another vote for The Shed. Or just any of the food there.... Some of the best food in the nation IMO. But I love the whole New Mexico Southwestern Food genre so probably a personal preference.

If you're flying through Albuquerque and need a quick bite to eat on the way to Santa Fe stop by The Frontier. You wont' be disappointed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The green chili cheese burger at Santa Fe Bite is the best burger I've ever had. I wasn't crazy about The Shed, but everyone else seems to love it.
Potcake
AG
The best crispy tacos I've ever eaten are at El Parasol.
BClark
AG
Good stuff. Thanks everyone. If anyone else wants to add, please do.
bam02
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

The green chili cheese burger at Santa Fe Bite is the best burger I've ever had. I wasn't crazy about The Shed, but everyone else seems to love it.

This! I had one last week and completely agree!

There were 6 of us at the table and everyone loved their meals.
JayG80
Don't miss Tent Rocks National Monument
easttexasaggie04
AG
Drinks at La Fonda Hotel
Breakfast at Cafe Pasquals
Lunch at La Casa Cena
Dinner at Geronimo
Sunset on top of La fonda Hotel to see sunset and drink
wildcat08
AG
We like Maria's, a quiet little cafe with a really extensive tequila selection. Tecolote Cafe on St. Michaels is one of our all-time favorite breakfast places.
HollywoodBQ
AG
C'mon Canyon, we've talked about Texas sundown communities before.
HollywoodBQ
AG
RPM said:

Haak Winery
Gulf Greyhound Park
Tanger Outlets
Haak winery, now that's funny.
You forgot about the big Bucee's out on I-45
At least you didn't recommend El Sombrero.
CanyonAg77
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

C'mon Canyon, we've talked about Texas sundown communities before.
I googled a couple of those and got La Marque and other towns. After your remark, I tried again and found one referencing Santa Fe TX
Gil Renard
AG
Eat at the shed
SW AG80
AG
The best New Mexican food we had there was at La Fonda. The bar there also has a band every night for some C&W dancing.
SECeded
CanyonAg77
AG
So, we just discovered another favorite in Santa Fe. Clafoutis French Bakery and Cafe. Authentic French Bakery, have only had a few things from there, but they were amazing. We're headed back to Los Alamos soon, we'll try to eat breakfast there and report back. Only open 7am-4pm.

They are presently at 402 North Guadalupe, and the parking is horrible. But they will be moving in March to 333 Cordova.
CDub06
AG
Alright, off the top of my head:

IF you've not been before, you're going to want to just hang out downtown. The plaza is filled with sights. You'll want to see the Cathedral and go in the Loretto Chapel for a few minutes (it's only like $3). The NM History museum at the palace of the governors is a good museum.

Canyon Road is a sight to behold, but that walk is better reserved for warmer weather. Not very traditional, but Pop Gallery and the Chuck Jones Gallery are my favorite downtown. If that's not your cup of tea, there are plenty of other options within the downtown footprint.

Now, food. Santa Fe has some TERRIFIC food. Radish & Rye is one of the best meals I've ever had. You HAVE to eat there. Parking is limited down there, but I've always just made the short walk from downtown. Cafe Pasquals has can't miss breakfast. The Shed is the most popular restaurant for visitors and it's a great introduction to New Mexico. Sazon is a more traditional, yet playful take on Mexican food - it's good but a little more $$$ (Note: I'm a sucker for this style of food).

If you want to head south on Cerillos, I've got some better options than those last two. Dr Field Goods serves sandwiches, but the pulled pork might be the best sandwich I've ever had. It's really worth a trip for lunch. If you're looking for breakfast, that's Pantry. And if you want a little more exotic, Jambo is serving up some terrific African cuisine.

While you are on that side of town, my #1 suggestion is that you MUST check out Meow Wolf. It's an experience that you can't miss. It's worth a couple of hours to walk through this interactive art experience.

Around the corner from Meow Wolf, is Duel Brewing, the top brewery in Santa Fe. Also nearby is the new guy, Rowley Farmhouse Ales who is bringing farmhouse style beers to SF. Both are worth a visit. If you want a draft list near the Plaza, check out Fire & Hops (also has some excellent food) and The Root Cellar (underneath a honey store). Both are better than Draft Station (and Blue Corn - meh) .

Draft Station is the place for plaza pictures at sunset, but their patio is closed on the colder days. So, head to La Fonda for your sunset drinks

Meanwhile, Secreto Lounge is the best cocktail lounge in town (aside from Radish & Rye).

My to do list still includes Geronimo, Clafoutis, Raaga, and Casa Chimayo so I can't comment on those.
CDub06
AG
And if you want my Skip list:
Tia Sophia's
Blue Corn Cafe
The Bull Ring
Ranch House
El Callejn
Pizzeria & Trattoria da Lino
Del Charro
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

And if you want a little more exotic, Jambo is serving up some terrific African cuisin
Found that one on TripAdvisor, it was good. Definitely different.
reveille23
For a day drive, try the High Road to Taos...gorgeous scenery. Roll up to Penasco and turn around if you don't want to go all the way to Taos. Probably better road conditions this time of year than going up to Valles Caldera/Los Alamos like someone else suggested. Can't go wrong either way on the scenery though.
CanyonAg77
AG
The road to Valles was clear and dry last Thursday. I don't think there has been any snow lately.
Twelfthman99
AG
If you like Civil War History, the Glorieta Pass Battlefield is a short drive and has some cool hikes. Pretty interesting seeing a battlefield on the western front. Pecos National Historical Park is also near there and offers nice hiking tours of some archaeological sites.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.