AMEX points

1,251 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jock 07
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do many of you guys use this feature? Is it worth it? I just realized I have about 45,000 points. Have you used yours for a trip, or do you use the points to just pay the bill?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Going to finally use mine for flights to Hawaii this summer.
aggiedata
AG
check out all the retailers you can get gift cards. 45,000 points is about $450 worth of gift cards.
Counterpoint
AG
Aust Ag said:

Do many of you guys use this feature? Is it worth it? I just realized I have about 45,000 points. Have you used yours for a trip, or do you use the points to just pay the bill?
It's absolutely worth it!!
htxag09
AG
Do your research to get the best value. I have the Amex platinum and you can transfer points 1:1 to other rewards programs (I think you can with all Amex cards but not sure). So check to see if you get a better value transferring them to an airline or hotel rewards program or just booking them through Amex.
aggiedata
AG
You can get Amex gift cards but at 20,000 for $100 they are not as good of a value.

We use Marriott gift cards in the past but now they upped the points to 14,286 for $100.

MGM and Hyatt are good value at 10,000 for $100.
Cody 91
AG
Honestly as far as travel I don't find them as valuable as Chase United or Chase SWA points, but I do use them for paying on Amazon. See to get most bank for buck/ease doing that.
Squirrel Master
AG
If you fly one of their partner airlines, and if you have serious enough points to get free international flights, that's probably the best use.

But assuming that's not always possible, you're still getting solid value booking travel directly through them using points. I just bought two roundtrip AA tickets for DFW to San Diego using just points. AA isn't a partner, so transferring points wasn't really an option for me, but even so, I used only slightly more points my way than IF I'd been able to transfer and IF I'd have been able to get the best value reward fares on the specific flights I wanted. Plus, I earn points for the travel, which is a small bonus perk.

Cash back is terrible value. Transferring to a partner program you use is probably best, followed by booking travel/converting to GCs where 1:1 is available.
Phat32
AG
I found that the Home Depot gift cards were a great value for conversion, so we used them to cash out in gift cards there.
07ag
AG
i transferred mine to plenti points. 1 amex point = 1.5 plenti points. 1 plenti point = 1 cent of gas at an exxon or mobil station. so your 45k points would become $675 in exxon gas
TulaneAg
We put everything we can on our Amex to build points. Food, fuel, utility payments, etc. The down payment, dealer fees, etc. on our cars go on our Amex. We could probably get a better 'deal', meaning points per dollar spent, with another card program but in our post-college years we got into a little bit of trouble with credit card debt and vowed to stay away from traditional credit cards ever since. We don't have a traditional credit card and have paid off our Amex at the end of the month for almost 20 years now.

With the points, we typically purchase all of our technology (computers, iPads, etc.) via Amex. We've bought appliances with points. This time of year we buy a ton of our christmas presents with Amex points and now we're starting to pay for Amazon purchases with Amex points.
Ovalo
AG
You can transfer to AEROPLAN (Air Canada) at 1:1. 55K will get you a Business class ticket to Europe or a lot of other places. More fun than getting gift cards.
Jock 07
AG
You can pay off any credit card at the end of the month. Isn't really unique to AMEX charge cards.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.