Cabo

1,883 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bam02
Hincemm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen multiple threads on it, but thought I'd ask in case there were any more recent views....

Looking to fly to Cabo for 3 days. Debating between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. Leaning toward the former because we're mid 30s and want a little more social life. Also not wanting all inclusive but could lean that way if there was a strong recommendation. Never been to Cabo so debating all the options quite a bit.
HHAG
AG
I posted on the other thread, but we stayed at the Marquis, which is closer to SJdC. We went in to Cabo one night for the night life and we became aware of just how old we were. My ears are still ringing from how loud the music was. Marquis is all inclusive and we had a great time.
cmac98
AG
Cabos is great choice! The vast majority of the resorts are between Cabo San Jose (CSJ) and Cabo San Lucas (CSL) on the Tranpeninsular Highway with the newest hotels and resorts springing up north of CSJ and south of CSl. CSJ is the older town with a much more artistic and laid back vibe. Lots of great shops and restaurants in and around CSJ. CSL has better bars and nightclubs (i.e. Squid Row, Cabo Wabo, etc.) if you are looking for that sort of activity. CSL has the better restaurants and a better entertainment district. Cabs are very expensive, so the further out you are from CSJ and CSL, the higher the price (everything is negotiable). I'd recommend staying closer to CSL if that's where you want to spend your time.

My wife and I go to Cabos just about every year (for the last 10 years). If we stay less than 5 days, we will go to town maybe 1 of those days/nights. The remainder we spend on property. I've stayed at the Westin and really enjoyed it; however, we currently stay on a private resort. I would also recommend looking at VRBO for villas and condos; nearly half of the residents in Los Cabos are Canadian or American expats - some live there full time but most simply have second homes. You can find some great deals on Villas and Condos in Los Cabos.

For your first time, I recommend:
The Office (restaurant)
Mango Deck (margaritas)
Cabo Wabo Cantina (ask if Sammy is working)
Edith's
Giggling Marlin (take the upside down shot)
El Farallon ($$$ but worth it; must reserve weeks in advance - see opentable.com)

Hire a driver before you arrive at airport - they will save you a lot of time, get you to your resort/villa, stop by Mega (or CostCo) and allow you to relax with beer and sometimes champagne enroute.
Mega (mexican version of walmart) - stop there to pick up beer/wine/food/water - will save you $$$.
If anyone helps you, they are trying to sell you a timeshare. Walk away! This includes the airport upon arrival - grab your luggage and walk through the "shark tank" until you're outside - do not stop!
If you golf, bring your clubs and pick just about any course. They are all beautiful.

bam02
AG
Do CSL and don't do AI.

Wife and I spent 6 nights last summer and went into town every day/ evening. It's an awesome town.
Hincemm
AG
ended up booking the Cape. very excited in lieu of the reviews...
Texas Ag Mom
We love Cabo. Been there many times. Lots of great restaurants & bars in every price range. Use this.
http://trapperscabolist.com

Some of our favorites: Hacienda Cocina/Los Tres Gallos/Salvatore's. We tend to lean towards the hole in the wall joints & stay as far away as we can from the more touristy spots. Our favorite bar is Monkey Business. The bartender Victor is a friend. Our Aggie family picture was on his wall.
bam02
AG
If you want a great dinner (food and atmosphere), plan to do Edith's one night.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.