Willamette Valley Wine

1,975 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WTF95
Greener Acres
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to take a trip to the Willamette Valley for a wine trip. Anybody been and have good recommendations for wineries? We will probably go to 3-5 over two days. Interested in places that are scenic or just good looking, and a place or two that is affordable so if we want to buy something we can get more than two bottles.

I've read the Food & Spirits Board thread about wine cellars and it has dispersed information about this area. Hoping to find some good specifics on the region.
Stew
AG
Wife and I went about 5 years ago. Great trip. Was fun to stay in Portland for the first night, then only a quick drive to the wine country from there. We stayed at the Allison Inn which we thought was awesome. We probably went to a half dozen wineries/vineyards. The most memorable to me were domain serene (beautiful property and great wine), willakenzie and argyle in Dundee. Argyle is aggie-owned. His name escapes me but I think he was roommates with Robert Earl and Lyle Lovett.
Aggie65
AG
It has been a few years, but we visited Bergstrom, Archer, and Domaine Serene. All were beautiful vineyards with excellent wines. We did visit Argyle and met the resident Aggie (I don't remember his name either), but it was tasting room in town, not the vineyard (if they have one). Lots of other wineries there too, but take some time to check out the Columbia River Gorge area and stop at Mutinomah Falls.
Mule_lx
AG
Swing in to McMinnville. Check out the Spruce Goose and go to Remy Winery. Laid back non pretentious place with great wine.
La Fours
AG
Anam Cara Cellars

They make some fantastic Pinot Noirs. I haven't visited them, but I drank a lot of their pinot when I was in Portland several years ago.
HHAG
AG
Rollin Soles is the Aggie that was at Argyle. He and his wife Corby left to start his own label (ROCO) a few miles away, but he told me he still consults at Argyle from time to time. He makes fantastic wines. He started the sparkling wines at Argyle and they are delicious.

If you like Pinots, you will be in heaven in the Dundee Hills AVA. There are probably 30 good wineries within 10 miles of one another. Affordable... not so much anymore. Lots of proud winemakers in them hills. Check out the Carlton winemakers studio (in Carlton), they have a bunch of up and comers that are still affordable.

We stayed at A Tuscan Estate, a B&B in McMinnville while we were there, which was lovely, but I think they have closed. If you want to have a romantic dinner with the missus, eat at the Painted Lady in Newberg. It's not cheap, but that was one of the best meals I have ever had.
IDAg10
AG
You should definitely check out Left Coast Cellar! One of my favorite wineries I've visited.
Greener Acres
AG
Appreciate all the recommendations and didn't even realize the Spruce Goose was in the area.

We visited Domaine Serene last time and got some great wines. We may go again but there's enough here to keep us occupied for awhile.

And for the comment about the Columbia River Gorge, we are headed there. We are doing two days in the valley a two in the forge for hiking. Any good trails, hotels, breweries or restaurants?

Mule_lx
AG
I liked Double Mountain brewery in Hood River.
MarkItZero
AG
Full Sail Brewery in Hood River.

Go across the bridge into Washington state and do the rafting trip down the White Salmon River. Best outfitter is Zollers. Have done this twice. No ragrets.
rononeill
Brick house
White rose
De pont

Skip beaux freres
WTF95
Fwiw there is a willamette valley winery association tasting in Austin next week Thursday. Jan 26. 50-60 wineries pouring including most of the top in attendance.

Tickets start at $75. I'd recommend trying before buying too many wines from a particular winery.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.