San Francisco Tips

2,810 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
akaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am speaking at a conference in San Francisco at the end of January and will be taking my 11 year old daughter and extending the trip to make a vacation out of it. I've been to San Francisco once, but it was to visit a friend and we spent most of our time at the vineyards. Any tips on what to do with an 11 year old?
Smokedraw01
Muir Wood is cool but get there early.
Bazooka Joe
AG
After Muir wood, take in a meal in Sausalito. Then take the water ferry to Alcatraz. Rap up the day at the fishermans warf and share a sourdough bread bowl of chowder with your kiddo. Try to squeeze in some time in Chinatown too. These are all highly touristy stuff, which is cool on your first trip to San Francisco with a child in tow. Also, everyday is mid 50's so dress warm.

I'm describing my first trip to San Francisco, which I highly enjoyed. Hope you have fun.
Matsui
AG
Alcatraz
Salsulito
Ride a bike across Golden Gate Bridge
If have car can take it across then go west up the hill to get great bridge and city views if clear
Maybe walk thru Chinatown
Definitely do lombard street (that curvy one)
BMX Bandit
Night trip to Alcatraz
akaggie
AG
Thank you so much! This is perfect!

I'll be moving to the conference hotel for the last four days, but will be staying in an IHG (Holiday Inn brand) hotel for the first three days...what part of town would be best to stay in?
kwammer
could also head south on PCH and stop by one of the blackberry/strawberry farms and pick your own fruit.
Swing into any of the beaches along the way for a picnic, stop at the Santa Cruz boardwalk for a few rides and continue down to Monterrey.
Matsui
AG
I would not stay at any of them near Fisherman's Wharf. Too touristy.

any of these

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/san-francisco/sfogg/hoteldetail?qRef=srm&qDest=San+Francisco%2C+CA%2C+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sDD&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-122.418297&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qFRA=1&qRtP=6CBARC&qHtlC=SFOGG&qLat=37.775002&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=20&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki&qWch=0

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/san-francisco/sfoha/hoteldetail?qRef=srm&qDest=San+Francisco%2C+CA%2C+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sDD&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-122.418297&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qFRA=1&qRtP=6CBARC&qHtlC=SFOHA&qLat=37.775002&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=20&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki&qWch=0

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/customer-care/interstitial?destUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kimptonhotels.com%3Farrive%3D12%2F12%2F2016%26child%3D0%26depart%3D12%2F13%2F2016%26adult%3D1%26src%3Dihg.com%26hotel%3D26758

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/san-francisco/sfofs/hoteldetail?qRef=srm&qDest=San+Francisco%2C+CA%2C+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sDD&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-122.418297&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qFRA=1&qRtP=6CBARC&qHtlC=SFOFS&qLat=37.775002&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=20&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki&qWch=0

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/san-francisco/sfohb/hoteldetail?qRef=srm&qDest=San+Francisco%2C+CA%2C+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sDD&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-122.418297&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qFRA=1&qRtP=6CBARC&qHtlC=SFOHB&qLat=37.775002&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=20&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki&qWch=0
akaggie
AG
Thank you!
akaggie
AG
Okay, one more question...based on the itinerary y'all have suggested, I'm guessing I will need to rent a car, correct?
Matsui
AG
parking for rented cars is very expensive I'd shy away from it.
you can always rent locally in san fran and not at the airport

are you a uber/lyft user? for example $25 one way from fisherman's wharf to saulsito
akaggie
AG
I'm not opposed to Uber or to public transportation. That's what we always use when we go to NYC or New Orleans.
SW AG80
AG
Just ride the cable cars or take a public bus. Uber if in a pinch. Riding the cable cars will be a blast for you and your daughter. We usually stay at the Marriott on Sutter Street. Great location a block from Union Square and right on the cable car line. We much prefer that area to Fisherman's Wharf.
WoMD
Matsui said:

parking for rented cars is very expensive I'd shy away from it.
you can always rent locally in san fran and not at the airport

are you a uber/lyft user? for example $25 one way from fisherman's wharf to saulsito

Take the ferry from the ferry building to sauselito.
SW AG80
AG
I second the above. plus the ferry ride can be fun with very pretty scenery.
Matsui
AG
I was wrong. there you go.
Joan Wilder
AG
You can rent a bike in fishermans wharf and ride it across the GG bridge, down to Sausalito and take the ferry back. Have lunch in Sausalito and walk around.

Don't rent a car unless you want to drive to Mt Tam/Muir Woods/Marin headlands. Parking is expensive and a nightmare in the city. Just Uber or take the cable car.

North beach (Italian) is a great neighborhood to walk and eat. My favorite place to eat when I'm in SF.

Avoid Union Square and Market - it's over run with very aggressive homeless and panhandlers.
Whoop04
Don't rent a car.

There are two-person bikes I bet your daughter would like to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge.
DallasAg2
AG
Buy your Alcatraz tickets NOW. They are cheaper through the park service but are usually sold out 6 weeks prior. Otherwise, you have to buy the tickets through a tour company at a higher price.

https://www.nps.gov/alca/planyourvisit/fees.htm
DallasAg2
AG
We also went down south to Pebble Beach and the Monterey Bay Aquarium and whale watching.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/time-whale-watching-california-16461.html
BlueAg2003
AG
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but riding a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge in January sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
schmendeler
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but riding a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge in January sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
I don't know about January specifically, but we went in late October/early November and it wasn't bad at all. they have weird seasons in SF.
TXCityGirl
Pack coats and pants! It will be much colder than you envision, especially at night.
SW AG80
AG
As Mark Twain said, the coldest winter I have experienced was the summer I spent in SF.
WoMD
SW AG80 said:

As Mark Twain said, the coldest winter I have experienced was the summer I spent in SF.

It's too bad he never said that.

And summers aren't too bad. Generally in the 50s or 60s with some wind +/- cloud cover (especially August). Right now it's in the 50s (40s at night) with sun and no wind, which should be what you get in January. Expect possibility of rain though.

Even in the summers I never have more than a light jacket.
Texas Ag Mom
You can also just walk across the GG bridge which is what we have done several times. Personally I wouldn't want to ride a bike across. I would miss out on the scenery cause I would be to focused on riding the bike!
Matsui
AG
Think George jones said that....maybe
12thAngryMan
AG
If you're into hiking/nature, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Land's End trail which takes you from the Sutro Baths all the way around to the Golden Gate Bridge. Very pretty views of the beach/ocean, Marin Headlands,and bridge all along that trail.

I also enjoyed biking across the bridge, but my wife less so. There are also a lot of great parks to walk through (Buena Vista, Golden Gate, etc.). Honestly, the most fun I had in SF was simply walking around, people watching, and taking in the sights. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of tourist traps like Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.
Ag CPA
AG
If you are taking an 11-year old to SF for the first time, do the touristy stuff. Kids want to ride on the cable cars, look at sea lions on the piers, go the Exploratorium and take a boat to see the GG Bridge and Alcatraz, not walk around Sausalito or bike around town.
akaggie
AG
We went to a conference in San Diego last year, so she has seen the Sea Lions and we just got back from our second trip to NYC. I want her to see things that are new and different.
BSD
AG
Check out the earthquake simulator (and other exhibits) at the California Academy of Sciences. It's st Golden Gate spark so you'll also have the Japanese Tea Gardens and other sights there.
SECeded
62strat
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

I was just in SF last weekend.. it was crazy raining, but the temps would be fine for bike riding. It would have been no different (temp wise) than when I rode across it in august many years ago, it was 60s day, 50s by sunset. We got lucky and it was pretty clear that day, but really windy.. so it still was no 'ride on the beach' There was cold wind in our face, and jacket was a must.

It's pretty much always about 50-65 daytime in san fran it seems.

Also, we went into city from danville with my brother driving, and parking was not a problem, or expensive, at all. We parked in 3 different places throughout the evening. This was a saturday night. Street parking was easy to come by.

I'm sure weekday is entirely different story.

Quote:

You can also just walk across the GG bridge which is what we have done several times. Personally I wouldn't want to ride a bike across. I would miss out on the scenery cause I would be to focused on riding the bike!
That's a 3+ mile rt walk. With a bike ride, you can stop at any time, take in scenery, take picture, etc.. ride another few hundred feet, stop again, etc, then continue into sausalito, eat lunch on the water, then ride ferry back. Kid would like that.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.