Tips for Vietnam

2,702 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FCBlitz
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about heading to Vietnam in late March/early April for 10 days.

Looking for anything that is a cant miss or itinerary ideas. Probably will only go to just the north this trip.

TIA.
TXCityAggie
AG
I was there last summer and hit up Hanoi, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Saigon. I enjoyed Hanoi but it was probably my least favorite of the four stops. Hoi An was beautiful but crowded with Chinese tour groups. Da Nang was underrated in my opinion. There were some beautiful beaches in the area and the city's nightlife was fun. There were also very few tourists there which made it more enjoyable. Obviously the food is a highlight of any trip to Vietnam, so allow yourself a good mix of restaurants and street food.
bthotugigem05
AG
Hoi An is under water right now, kind of a crapshoot on how much it will have recovered by then.
moses1084ever
AG
Hoi An is great. We stayed at the intercon in Danang but we didn't really go into the city.

Phu Quoc island has been on my favorite trips around SE Asia.
Spore Ag
Have anyone been into the mountains and or crossed overland into Laos? Heard it is a great trip but difficult.
I Play With Guns
S
We are looking at heading to Vietnam late May/early June and have a visa question.....

We currently reside overseas right now in the UAE and are unsure on how to get our visa for entry.

How did those of you living abroad obtain your visa for Vietnam? Did you just go to your local Vietnam embassy and take care of it that way?

TXCityAggie
AG
I did the entire visa process online. I just had to print the form and then pay when I arrived in Hanoi. There are multiple websites that will take care of it for you.
I Play With Guns
S
Website rec? How much did that way cost you?
TXCityAggie
AG
I believe the company I used was Vietnam Visa Choice. I honestly don't remember how much I payed. It is cheaper to deal with it at an embassy but way more of a hassle.
moses1084ever
AG
I did Visa on arrival when I flew in to Danang, just need to remember to bring a passport size picture.
I Play With Guns
S
Well I heard back from the Vietnam embassy in Abu Dhabi!

Super easy process and much cheaper than online.....

Looks like we are heading to Vietnam!!!
drumboy
AG
Not really helpful but related to the visa process. My wife and I were going to stop in Vietnam for a week about 6 years ago after visiting my brother in Okinawa. We weren't married at the time and when she called the embassy or visa office they said that since she's Vietnamese she wouldn't need a visa. She told them that she was born here and they said if she could speak Vietnamese then she would be good to go but I'd have to pay $80 or so for a visa.
texasaggie04
AG
No joke, my favorite part of Ho Chi Minh City was just crossing the street. Just start walking and don't stop, it's honestly a rush!!

One thing to keep in mind before you go. The law states that you must wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. If you take a bike taxi, you will get the penalty if you're not wearing a helmet, not the bike taxi driver. So if they don't offer you one, find another guy.
Also, make sure that you agree on a price before you get on the bike. And then don't pay anything else except that price when you get off, no matter how much they try to say that you owe them more money.
I Play With Guns
S
^that's such a great tip!!!!

Got anymore?!?!

Wolfman03
AG
We went to Hanoi for a few days earlier this month. Such a unique and fun experience! We stayed in the Old Quarter and like what was said about Saigon, it took a lot to have blind faith in 7,000 mopeds coming at you from both directions while crossing the street.

We went to the water puppet show. It sounds strange, but was quite entertaining and very cultural.

The Hanoi Hilton (Hoa Lo Prison) is a must. It gives you perspective about our POWs during the war and is interesting to see the Vietnamese's opinion of "The American War".

We went to Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum based on the recommendations of many locals. We obviously didn't read up on it enough before going and realized what was about to happen a little too late.

The food is inexpensive and good - and the beer is even cheaper. Hanoi gives sidewalk cafes a whole new meaning.

We did a pre-cleared 30 day one time Visa on Arrival through a Vietnamese travel agency for about $45 each. Like someone else said, make sure you bring a passport picture. The government changed it so Americans need a one year visa in August 2016, but reversed that decision a few months later. Some places still try to charge for the 1 year visa unless you ask for a shorter visa.

The only negative is I still hear the beeping of non-stop car horns....
RachAg2007
AG
Flying into Ho Chi Ming City on Friday. It was a last minute decision so we have no clue what Vietnam has to offer. I'm very excited!
Aggielandma12
AG
I saw a family of 4 riding on a little motor bike. It's crazy. You could spend hours just watching at a main intersection in the city. Below are a couple shots from the trip.

FCBlitz
I work and live in Da Nang. I can answer all questions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.