Considering Last Minute Trip to Taos over Xmas Break any Advice

921 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 10andBOUNCE
sushi94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife is pushing for a last minute trip to Taos over the week after Xmas.

Any advice on where to stay? Coming from Houston so we're planning on driving in.

2 adults and 2 kids none of us have any meaningful experience on skiing.

TIA
CanyonAg77
AG
Taos might not be the best place to go if you are a new skier. And reservations between Christmas and New Year's this close to the date are going to be hard to come by.

You might consider Red River or Angel Fire. Both are more beginner friendly, and it's not much of a drive over to Taos if you are looking for some of the shopping and culture crap at Taos.

Heck, I'd even look at Sipapu. Little resort, again, a short drive to Taos.
Skitch05
AG
Agreed, Taos Ski Valley isn't the most beginner friendly mountain. They do have a good ski school, but are lacking on beginner terrain. As mentioned, Angel Fire and Red River are both great beginner/intermediate mountains.

During Christmas break prepare for long lift lines at Angel Fire or Red River. TSV is much larger than both and usually doesn't have any lift lines outside of first chair in the morning.

If I were you I would probably stay in Taos (the city, not the ski valley). From there it is about 45 minutes to Angel Fire or 30 minutes to TSV. Lodging will be cheaper there, and there are more food options. You can ski the first day or two at Angel Fire, and then move to TSV for the following days if your family feels comfortable on the blue runs there.

If you want to stay close to the ski area, Angel Fire has quite a bit of lodging on VRBO, but be prepared to pay a premium during Christmas vacation.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Need to pray for snow because they don't have much to my knowledge.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.