Disneyworld Christmas...

2,911 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bufrilla
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who has done this? I know the crowds will suck. What else?
BMX Bandit
Crowds suck

Lights are beautiful

Any more specific questions?
Mustang1
AG
Are u going or thinking about going? Did u set up fast passes & dining reservations on 1st day allowed?
TyHolden
AG
We just got our bands in. Working on fast passes. Staying offsite. Put together at the last minute. Realized our schedules for the next year we're going to be too tough to get in a real vacation and we both have Christmas to New Years off so figured why not. We haven't been in a couple years but we never go during peak times. Kids are in school now though.
BMX Bandit
If you've been, really nothing different in terms of planning etc during Christmas. Get their early at rope drop
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Depends on when you go. The 10 days before Christmas eve is our favorite time to go.
TyHolden
AG
We're going during break between Christmas and New Years.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
DSAg44 said:

Well at least it's not Spring Break?
213 Grove
AG
FAST PASSES
victory
AG
we are going the 19th-23rd. We have fast passes, character meals...all that stuff. For those that have gone is the meal plan the way to go? Wife has told me about it, is it basically just prepaying for your meals?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
victory said:

we are going the 19th-23rd. We have fast passes, character meals...all that stuff. For those that have gone is the meal plan the way to go? Wife has told me about it, is it basically just prepaying for your meals?
The meal plan can be a good thing or it can be a rip off. All depends on how you use it.
victory
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

victory said:

The meal plan can be a good thing or it can be a rip off. All depends on how you use it.
ok...what do you mean exactly?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-dining-plan/

That's got some pretty comprehensive info on it. If you do a really light breakfast, one counter service, and one table meal each day it's probably somewhat of a good deal. It also depends on which dining plan you buy. How many sit down meals will you be eating in total and how many days will you there?

We've done it in the past and just brought poptarts and fruit bars for breakfast. That leaves lunch/dinner for counter-service/character meal, plus a snack. Snack can be used for a light breakfast too.
FTACO97
AG
We're going Dec 16-22. Went this time a few years ago and had a great time. Crowds are heavy, yes but not too bad. Echo what others said about fastpass and reservations.

On the meal plan, we booked during the free dining deal so we have it. If it wasn't free dining, not sure that I would pay for it up front.

http://www.distripplanner.com/ has a great dining plan calculator where you can fill in your sit down meals, etc per day and then it will show you what the cost out of pocket vs. dining plan would be and gives you the different dining plan levels as well.
TyHolden
AG
Is it warm enough to swim? Never been in December. I'd like to show off my ivory tan.
BSD
AG
My son really enjoyed the Mickey Christmas Parade at Magic Kingdom. I enjoyed watching him in awe.
Remember The Astrodome
AG
I agree with the meal plan. It can be a great deal, but also can be you just overpaying for food that is wasted. The year we decided to use it, I found that most of the food was just being thrown out. We left several unused meals and snacks. Not a heavy eater, but if you are, this may be the option to look into. Also, I don't mind Disney food, but their breakfast has never impressed me.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
DSAg44 said:

Is it warm enough to swim? Never been in December. I'd like to show off my ivory tan.
It was when we went last year. It was in the 70's but the pool was fine during the day as long as you stayed in the sun. I think all the resorts have heated pools now.
lil99chris
AG
I would try to make dining reservations (if you are going to eat at WDW ASAP). Many decent reservations will open the day before....so keep checking.

It will be packed, so be prepared.

I would also recommend getting Christmas Party tickets if you haven't. It is fun and the park is a lot less crowded. Not sure if the event will be going on in the days you will be there.

Currently at WDW with the family....good times.
longeryak
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

DSAg44 said:

Well at least it's not Spring Break?
It is worse than Spring Break. It is the busiest week of the year.

Think all US schools having Spring Break the same week busy. Then remember that it is also the beginning of Summer vacation for South American schools.
Post removed:
by user
lil99chris
AG
We just got back. I cannot imagine wanting to go over the Christmas break. Way too many people and the rates increase across the board.

fire09
AG
We just finished our last day here. Crowd difference between our start day (Thurs) and today was huge. We feel like we are escaping. Wall to wall people, and wait times for everything. Why anyone would punish themselves with the Christmas crowd is beyond me.
Mustang1
AG
Got in Epcot today right at 9am opening. 55 minute waits at Soaring & Test Track right away.
Zemira
AG
Sorry tiny derail. When is the best time to go with no crowds?

Only time I went I was 8 so I don't remember much and that was 25 years ago so stuff has changed.
fire09
AG
Early December, mid Feb. There's a website with crowd trackers that will help you plan. Basically any non holiday, non summer weekday when school is in session. Watch out for Chinese new year and South American holidays.
lil99chris
AG
We like going in early December. You get all the Christmas decorations/events without the crowds.

We have been in late January. You will see a lot of South American tour groups.

The are slow times throughout the year.

https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/best-time-to-visit-disney-world/

http://wdwprepschool.com/disney-world-crowd-calendar-for-the-2016-2017-school-year/
victory
AG
Zemira said:

Sorry tiny derail. When is the best time to go with no crowds?

September just after school starts. In laws went during this time and got a lot of their meal plan for free.
TexasAggie73
AG
Disney does offer "free dining" at times, but you pay rack rates for the rooms. You really have to research it to see if it is beneficial.
TyHolden
AG
Game watching in Orlando? How late is espn on the boardwalk open? Game doesn't start until 9 est.
longeryak
1am
victory
AG
From what we're hearing today is not typical, little cooler which might have kept crowd away but got to Magic Kingdom at 7am this morning and have done 12 rides including space mountain, buzz light year, mine train, little mermaid and met Ariel, Cinderella and Elena. The only fast pass we used was Cinderella and Elena, had a FP to meet Ariel but changed it bc it was only a 5 minute wait. Now have fast passes this afternoon for splash mountain and big thunder mountain. The only ride we were unable to get a fast pass for and might have to wait more than 30 minutes is Peter Pan.
Unbelievably easy day, was not expecting this at all
lil99chris
AG
If you use all of your fastpasses, you can continue to get additional....one at a time. Have a great time and have a Dole Whip for me!
Mustang1
AG
Weather was great today after a week of mid80s.
Zemira
AG
Thanks everyone I will look at the websitea for the slow times. I want to go in 2018 but gotta plan early with multiple people.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.