Jakarta

897 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BringJackieBack89
TXCityAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering taking a job in Jakarta. Has anyone spent significant time there? Any feedback would be helpful.
moses1084ever
AG
Posting from the JKT airport waiting on a flight back to Sin.

I haven't lived in Jakarta but I've spent a fair bit of time around Indo. What's your life situation like? Would it be an expat package? Some guys really like it out here, a single westerner can do very well. Jakarta is a town that eats its young. Really really bad traffic, pollution, etc but you can live it up.
TXCityAggie
AG
I would be teaching in an international school there. The salary and package is very good. Housing and utilities are provided and within walking distance of the school.
moses1084ever
AG
The teachers at international schools are usually a close-knit group, so you'd be arriving with some kind of network already in place, which is nice when you're overseas.

The upside is that there is tons of travel available in Indo and regionally. Bali, Singapore, ****et, Australia, etc, etc.

I'm not familiar with rent, car prices, etc. if you want to eat only western food, imported fruit/veggies/dairy, be prepared to spend a lot of money.

Security is always a concern in Jakarta with all the terror groups, especially working around areas with lots of expats.

I would suggest doing a trip before committing. I jumped in with both feet when I moved to Singapore, but JKT is a different place.
Spore Ag
Moses is right. My sister taught there for 5 years and loved it but it was a different time. The teachers are close knit. If you do it and fulfill your contract you have established yourself as expat experienced with the door open to other positions. My sister taught is Shanhai in 2002 and was paid 90k as a PE coach, tax free plus trip home. Salary depends on amount of business there so I assume Jakarta is good.
TXCityAggie
AG
Thanks for the advice. I'm currently teaching at an American school in Guatemala. Looks like I'll be deciding between Jakarta, Bogota, and possibly Bangkok for the next stop. Jakarta's package is the most enticing.
Spore Ag
Also ck your Cost Of Living. Watch the movie the Year of Living Dangerously.
Senator Blutarski
AG
I was only there for two months, and that was over a decade ago. As stated above, the best part was that it puts you close to other places to visit (Sing, Bali, etc). Just from watching the news lately, I would guess there is a risk premium being paid for Jakarta right now, hence the better package you are seeing.
BringJackieBack89
AG
We lived there in 1997-1998, up until they overthrew Suharto. We were evacuated to Singapore and stayed there. Before Jakarta, we lived in Balikpapan (Borneo) from early 1996. Loved both but for different reasons.
COL was nothing but we did eat local a lot. Even so, things were cheap - and this was before the Rupiah plummeted.
Expat community in Jakarta is great though spread out simply due to the size of the city. We lived near the Jakarta International School on Pondok Indah, right across from the golf course. Kids loved the school and housing was good and cheap.
Golf was incredible but not so cheap. Played countless courses in Jakarta and around the city, mostly on the way to Bogor to the south. Plenty of courses in the mountains.
Spent a little time at the American Club but nothing too impressive...that is where you can spend some money! We had enough to keep us entertained in and around the city...the kids too. If you are single, there is a lot to do for guys (and you can get into a lot of "trouble", too). For women, it is a lot different, simply because of the strong muslim presence.
Safety was a concern but we had guards at the house and a driver. Never felt threatened, even while being evacuated. When I went back on business a few years later, things had changed and even though I knew the city better than my driver, I did not feel the same level of comfort. Not sure if I would have moved back there at that time. I am not sure about now as I have not been back there in several years.
I agree with others that you really need to go there and spend several days. Go to the places you would live and work. Get a sense of the community and talk to other teachers there. As you know, the expat life is second to none (I used to have a bumper sticker saying "In my next life, I am coming back as an expat's wife").
Good luck with your decision!
By the way, you cannot go wrong with Bangkok!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.