Leaving Friday for Amsterdam and Berlin

951 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Federale01
scapps
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy and I are taking a week trip to Europe, leaving this Friday, spending Sat-Wed in Amsterdam then Wed-Sat in Berlin.

Anyone have any must see recommendations or travel advice for either city?
Spore Ag
Plan a trip to Potsdam about 20 minutes outside of Berlin. See the conference house and there is a brewery next door with great food.
Zemira
AG
The trams, busses trains are great in the Netherlands. You can buy a reloadable card but not sure if it is worth it for such a short time

There are a ton of museums in Amsterdam. If you are into art definitely check them out.

I recommend Anne Frank's house for the history of you have never been. Go early and the line is short.

In December they usually have the canals lit up a night so the canal tour at night was fun. Also ride a bike but try not to get run over.

I'm not sure when you are going but I went in mid December before and it's a bit slow in the Netherlands. They don't do the big Christmas celebrations like Germany. Also if you go in the winter check the hours for places because they are shortened.

Also no on really gets going before 9am and it gets dark at 4pm but they go all night because they don't get up very early.
Zemira
AG
I forgot Sinterklaus season is in full swing. I think Sinterklaus Day is Dec 5. Much more popular in the Netherlands than Christmas or Santa.
Federale01
AG
Yeah, don't be creeped out by grown men and women in blackface. The Sinterkinds definitely will jar you when you first see them.

I spent more time outside of Amsterdam than in it while I was there. I think it would be worth the day trip to check out Leiden or one of the other surrounding, more traditional Dutch cities. My group spent the day walking around Leiden during its market day (Wednesday) and really enjoyed it. We got to try a lot of different Dutch treats walking around the market and just walking around enjoying the city. The Windmill museum was also pretty cool. I think a side trip like that would be worth it. Also, eat as many Stroopwaffeln for me as possible.

Whatever you do, don't waste your time on Amsterdam's "Christmas Markets." The Dutch don't really do Christmas Markets like the Germans do and the ones in the city are very poor attempts to get you to spend money on street food.

Berlin is a great town. The obvious would be to climb to the top of the Bundestag for the best view of the city. Also, the Bandenburg Gate is right there. Unter Dem Linden Strasse runs from the Brandenburg gate to Alexander Platz and is where you will find all the big museums and state buildings, like the National Opera, Cathedral, etc. Its the closest thing the Germans have to the Mall in DC and worth the walk. I also enjoyed the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, even though it can be a bit cheesy. Berlin is not the prettiest of cities but it has a great vibe to it. The nightlife is great as well, but it doesn't really get kicked off until midnight. Christmas Markets in Germany are awesome, so walk through one if you see it.

Have fun!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.