Family skiing in CO besides Breck?

2,544 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by adamhdonnell
jakester03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We love Breck but want to try something else. Need ski school for a 4 yr old. We are beginner level skiers. Heard good things about Winter Park. Any suggestions?
62strat
AG
breck, WP, copper mountain, Vail, keystone, beaver creek, aspen.... you're going to have a great time at any of these. Go where your budget affords you.
If you want a town to go to for walking, shopping, etc, that knocks out a few.
bam02
AG
Yeah I honestly don't know anywhere in CO that can't be very family/beginner friendly. Don't forget about places like Steamboat, Durango, etc. They should all offer plenty of options and good ski schools.
CinchAG97
Check out Granby Ranch.

20 minutes north of Winter Park. Lodging and lift tickets about 40% less than big resorts. Small and very family friendly especially for young kids and beginner skiers.
jakester03
AG
How would you rank them cost wise?
aeroag14
AG
There are about a million options in Colorado. What are some more specifics? Price range, location, amenities, etc? Planning on flying or driving from Texas?
JJWAGGIE
AG
We usually got to Break but changed it up last year due to last minute planning... We were quite surprised how well Copper Mountain turned out to be for our family. We will return in the future.
txags92
AG
We made several family trips to Crested Butte and always had a great time. Lots of easy beginner terrain and a wide variety of terrain for all levels of skiers. Very good ski school too.
jakester03
AG
We'd be flying from Austin. I have enough points on Southwest to cover the flight. Our daughter is 4, so here are the things we did last year at Breck:

- Ski School
- Snow Tubing
- Sled Dogs
- Horse Drawn Sleigh Ride and Dinner
- Ice Skating

We would ideally like to do the same types of things or other kid-friendly/family-friendly activities. We love Breck, but it's a bit pricey, so looking for a cheaper option.
aeroag14
AG
Ok. So flying southwest I would assume you are pretty locked into flying into Denver. That is a good place to start. So there are some good options about the same driving distance from Denver as Breck

The good thing about Breck is the town. There is a lot to do there and, honestly, there aren't too many other places that are going to offer quite the variety of entertainment, dinning, etc. It is what sets Breckenridge apart (in my opinion), not the mountain or skiing.

However, there are a few good options.

As others have mentioned Copper Mountain would be a good option. It is the same distance drive from Denver as Breck. The mountain is good and offers a nice variety of terrain for skiers of all levels. There is tubing and some dining options on the mountain, but not near the variety as in breck. One option here is to stay in Frisco, which is a nice little ski town about 15 minutes from Breck and 10 minutes from Copper Mountain. There are some good food options and mountain town entertainment things. Not sure on Ice Skating or horses though.

The other option, and it would be a step up in price, is to drive the extra 30 minutes to Vail. Vail truly is an upscale experience. The mountain is fabulously well maintained with excellent skiing regardless of your level. There are great dining options in the villages and good shopping. Ice Skating and (I would assume) horses.
CinchAG97
jakester03 said:

We'd be flying from Austin. I have enough points on Southwest to cover the flight. Our daughter is 4, so here are the things we did last year at Breck:

- Ski School
- Snow Tubing
- Sled Dogs
- Ice Skating

We would ideally like to do the same types of things or other kid-friendly/family-friendly activities. We love Breck, but it's a bit pricey, so looking for a cheaper option.

You'd have nearly all of this available 15 minutes from Granby. Four years ago, grandparents went with us and took the kids snowmobiling and on a horse drawn sleigh ride. They saw a moose. There is tubing park just north of Winter Park. I don't know about sled dogs or ice skating, but I'd bet they are available.

Granby is a 90 minute drive from Denver. Pretty easy drive, unless there is a bunch of snow on Berthoud pass.

We are going back for our third time right after Christmas. My two youngest learned to ski there, and now they all three ski great. The mountain is small and all of the runs end at the base, so no chance of getting lost or stuck on the backside at the big resorts. We can sit on our condo balcony and watch them come down time and time again. Since they are young, they don't know the the mountain is small compared to the mega-resorts like Breck.

Lift tickets are in the $65 range for adults (unlike $100+ at big resorts). We've rented a 3 bedroom condo that sleeps 10, right at the base within 75 feet of the life for less than $4000 for 6 nights. Ski rentals are about the same as other places - maybe slightly less. I'm not sure how ski school compares cost-wise, but the kids had a ball when they did ski school.
VikingNik
AG
Really liked Steamboat. Very good school there too.
62strat
AG
CinchAG97 said:

jakester03 said:

- Ski School
- Snow Tubing
- Sled Dogs
- Ice Skating

Four years ago, grandparents went with us and took the kids snowmobiling and on a horse drawn sleigh ride. They saw a moose.
End of discussion everyone. These people saw a moose!
gigemhilo
AG
We are doing Breck this year for the first time as a family and I am looking forward to it. Of all the places I have been, I feel like Breck is one of the best places for beginners..

We did Keystone last year, and I WOULD NOT recommend it. The greens there are comparable to blues elsewhere.

Of other places I have been before, I would also recommend Winter Park. Lots of greens and a decent town at the base.

Monarch is also a place to consider - although there is no town at Monarch, the skiing is incredible for a southern resort, and it is usually not crowded at all. I went once when I was younger and we felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves.
Jock 07
AG
jakester03 said:

- Ski School
- Snow Tubing
- Sled Dogs
- Ice Skating

steamboat, although it's probably on par with breck price wise. copper would be a good, cheaper option
Old School Brother
Durango
FlyFish95
Steamboat. You can adventure away from the mountain for a day and go do Saddleback Ranch

adamhdonnell
AG
i really recommend Copper Mountain for beginners. The lay out of the mountain naturally separates beginners, intermediates and more experienced skiers. The entire west end of the mountain is comprised of almost exclusively green terrain. This keeps beginners from making a wrong turn and ending up somewhere they don't belong, and it keeps the beginner from having to navigate aggressive more experienced skiers and vice versa.

I've skied at most of the places listed above and believe Copper to have the easiest terrain. I too would recommend staying in Frisco if you choose to go the Copper route.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.