United to Charge for Carry-On, No Picking Seats

7,218 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BMX Bandit
ClickClack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Basically United will be Spirit Airlines but more expensive?

Quote:

United Continental will become the first major U.S. airline to limit low-fare customers to one carry-on bag that fits under a seat, and it will defer dozens of aircraft deliveries from Boeing in an array of initiatives to boost profit, the company said on Tuesday.

The announcement may frustrate flyers who already feel burdened with travel restrictions and fees from airlines.

United said customers who buy its cheapest fares will not be assigned seats until the day of departure, meaning people on the same ticket may be split apart. United will also prohibit these travelers from carrying on bags that can only fit in overhead bins, and they will not accrue miles toward elite status.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/15/united-to-restrict-low-fare-flyers-to-one-carry-on-bag.html
Mustang1
AG
When does this start?
AgFan1999
AG
When you pick your tickets, where it currently gives you the option to buy Economy, Flexible Economy, First, it most likely will give you the option there to buy Basic Economy. You're not being forced into buying basic economy, but if you want to save a few $$$, it will be an option.

Won't be an option until next year.
The Lost
Another reason I hate them
TP Ag '87
AG
yep. And ALL airlines in general.
johnmyu
That's crap. Hate that my best option is IAH and the United routes work best for me. Quality if product keeps plummeting and cost goes up.
Phat32
AG
European airlines already do this. Had to pay $30/seat just to reserve a specific seat on AirBerlin.

Garbage.
ClickClack
AG
AgFan1999 said:

When you pick your tickets, where it currently gives you the option to buy Economy, Flexible Economy, First, it most likely will give you the option there to buy Basic Economy. You're not being forced into buying basic economy, but if you want to save a few $$$, it will be an option.

Won't be an option until next year.

But will the base option with no carry on, no reserved seats cost the same as it does now is the question. So that you will be paying extra relative to now to get the same options we've had to this point.
Matsui
AG
Big big change. Ouch.

This is becoming similar to Amtrak or evening riding the bus.

But there is a reason Spirit's planes are full and Frontier switched to a similar model. They make money.
The Lost
TP Ag '87 said:

yep. And ALL airlines in general.

Eh I still have love for delta... for now.
txags92
AG
Wow...when the only reason people fly your airline instead of Southwest is because of the assigned seating...probably not a great idea to take away assigned seats. If their terrible customer service wasn't already enough, these changes are likely to keep me from flying United much, if at all going forward. Southwest is just so much easier and less complicated. And the southwest employees actually act like they like their jobs...
BMX Bandit
Quote:

limit low-fare customers to one carry-on bag that fits under a seat,

I like this
txags92
AG
You realize that there is no practical way for the flight attendants to enforce that right? It will be just like the size restrictions on carryons. When was the last time you actually saw somebody told they can't bring on a carryon that was too big? The gate personnel just gate check them and don't require them to pay for checking it. And who is going ti stand on the plane checking boarding passes for each person putting a bag in the overhead bin?

This is just a sucker tax on people who play by the rules. And the folks that do stick to the rule will have a big honking bag stuffed under their seat and halfway into your leg space and will be all cramped up with their legs half I to your seat trying to fit around their bag. Not a winning move.
histag10
AG
guess I'll start flying Delta again.
FW Declerk
txags92 said:

You realize that there is no practical way for the flight attendants to enforce that right? It will be just like the size restrictions on carryons. When was the last time you actually saw somebody told they can't bring on a carryon that was too big? The gate personnel just gate check them and don't require them to pay for checking it. And who is going ti stand on the plane checking boarding passes for each person putting a bag in the overhead bin?

This is just a sucker tax on people who play by the rules. And the folks that do stick to the rule will have a big honking bag stuffed under their seat and halfway into your leg space and will be all cramped up with their legs half I to your seat trying to fit around their bag. Not a winning move.
I did see this on a flight to Mexico city it was on a smaller plane though.
AgFan1999
AG
you do realize Delta does this already?
histag10
AG
No, I did not, considering the OP said this would be the first major US airline to do this.

My apologies.
AgFan1999
AG
No worries. Think the primary difference is the carry-on rules.
The Lost
AgFan1999 said:

you do realize Delta does this already?
Delta has one that doesn't assign seats... but it doesnt limit carry ons... I can see this leading to it though.

Delta comfort is the **** though.
The Lost
txags92 said:

You've never flown spirit have you? They'll enforce it at the gate, and it'll be easy since they'll all be in the last boarding group, not mixed in.
Matsui
AG
I've had plenty of American contract gate agents check bags before boarding. Also have seen them checking as security line entrances
62strat
AG
txags92 said:

no practical way? Did you think it through at all?

spirit heavily enforces it. Your tickets has 'carry on' written on it in real big letters when you pay for it. If you don't have that when you're going through the gate check in and have a bag, they won't let you bring it on, and they'll charge the $100 to gate check it.

Who's the sucker now?

txags92
AG
And when somebody who has diamond elite or whatever their top tier is buys a cheap ticket, they are going to put them in the last boarding group? What about folks with United credit cards? They suddenly lose their early group status when they buy a cheaper ticket? Once people get on the plane, is there going to be somebody in the aisle checking ticket stubs before letting people put things in the overhead bins?

I get that this works on budget airlines like Spirit. United isn't Spirit air...although their customer service level is similar. So if they want to lower their customer experience down to Spirit or Ryanair levels, more power to them, but they will lose my business in the process.
txags92
AG
62strat said:

txags92 said:

no practical way? Did you think it through at all?

spirit heavily enforces it. Your tickets has 'carry on' written on it in real big letters when you pay for it. If you don't have that when you're going through the gate check in and have a bag, they won't let you bring it on, and they'll charge the $100 to gate check it.

Who's the sucker now?

People expect that level of stuff flying budget carriers like Spirit. It isn't what people expect from a major carrier. And good luck turning around a plane in less than an hour when you have to stand around charging people extra or fighting with them over the size of the carry on. I am looking forward to Southwest's continued growth if this is the path United has chosen. The only suckers will be the ones flying somebody else.
klsmith89
AG
Be aware... American is planning on rolling this out as well.

Soon, the big 3 will have this option to go along with Spirit and Frontier.
Post removed:
by user
Matsui
AG
you are correct about the frequent flyer program. When AA says 80%+ of their customers fly once per year on their airline, the incentive of the program is diminished.
Phat32
AG
Dumb long term - commoditizing themselves even more.
P.C. Principal
Stopped flying that awful airline when I realized how much they really don't like their customers. And I'm constantly reminded why it was a good decision.

Spirit airlines service for 3x the price.
P.C. Principal
johnmyu said:

That's crap. Hate that my best option is IAH and the United routes work best for me. Quality if product keeps plummeting and cost goes up.
Forget IAH. Fly Southwest out of Hobby. they fly pretty much everywhere now!
histag10
AG
PC_Principal said:

johnmyu said:

Southwest flies no where near me. They dont even fly into ANY of my neighboring states (with the exception of Boise). My options for Southwest are 9 hour drive to Denver, 9.5 hour drive to Minneapolis, 12 hour drive to Boise, 14 hour drive to Seattle, or 11 hour drive to Omaha.

By the time I make any of those drives, I might as well just finish my trip out driving.
P.C. Principal
histag10 said:

PC_Principal said:

johnmyu said:

Southwest flies no where near me. They dont even fly into ANY of my neighboring states (with the exception of Boise). My options for Southwest are 9 hour drive to Denver, 9.5 hour drive to Minneapolis, 12 hour drive to Boise, 14 hour drive to Seattle, or 11 hour drive to Omaha.

By the time I make any of those drives, I might as well just finish my trip out driving.
Dang. I'd also suggest Alaska Airlines or Delta (I know, not much better than UA), connecting in SLC.
62strat
AG
histag10 said:

PC_Principal said:

johnmyu said:

You know, you can't move to BFE montana, and then ***** about not having a quality airline to chose from.

You get what you get!
histag10
AG
haha yeah, I know. living here can really suck when it comes to travel, but thankfully the drive to Denver isnt horrible. its pretty much I90/25 the whole way. Just REALLY boring drive though Wyoming.

I wont even consider Alaska, as flights from Billings to anywhere I would need to go tend to run 2-3k roundtrip per person. At those prices, I'd rather drive the 20 hours each way for $600 in gas round trip.
Andy07
AG
Restricting people carrying on bags is nice for fixing the broken boarding process. Hopefully frequent flyers still get to carry on regardless of the fare booked.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.