Airbnb

1,792 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Random Ag
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone on here have their house on Airbnb?

We have a townhouse a couple minutes from downtown in Houston and put it on a month and half ago or so. Mainly we just want to get some reviews to rent it out for the super bowl for big money. Gotten A LOT more traction than we expected. We thought we had it overpriced for the area but have probably averaged renting it out 2-3 nights a week.

So for any hosts out there, any tips, tricks, things to look for, etc.?

Also, feel free to ask any questions about our experience.
I haven't rented my place via AirBNB, but it's something we've talked about doing in the future. I don't have any advice to offer, but I'd like to buy you a beer or lunch sometime like a year from now and get your take. Are you getting more for it than you would be renting it? We also have a house close to downtown Houston.
htxag09
AG
We are not getting more than we could be long term leasing it for, but we're also still living in it. We rented it out around 9 nights in October. I definitely think we could lower the price and make more than a long term lease, but you'd have to factor in the higher insurance, furniture, utilities, etc.

We basically have it listed at a price that is worth it for us to pack up and stay a few days at the in laws' house. Though most the time we are out of town anyway. For example, we have it rented out for this weekend and we'll be at our deer lease.
So if it were vacant and you had it furnished, could you get more for it than renting it to a single tenant on a year long lease? I'm really interested in this. Thank you for sharing your insight.
htxag09
AG
From our limited experience, I would guess yes. But I can't know for sure as we haven't had our house listed in the more competitive price range to see how many days a month it'll actually book.

But yes, I'd say airbnb vs. long term leasing you have the potential to make more money per month, but you also have more risk and more headaches.
htxag09
AG
Bump for a specific question...

We have our first long term tenant, they will be renting out our house for 15 nights. Anybody have experience with this? Are we expected to have our maid service come and clean the house and/or wash the sheets and towels half way through their stay, restock our breakfast items, etc.?
Random Ag
AG
Answering your questions as a semi-frequency Airbnb user...
Unless you advertised regular cleaning services, I would not expect to have any cleaning done to the property during my stay.
Similarly, would only expect items to be refreshed (ie breakfast) if you stated you provide breakfast.
Overall, I wouldn't expect any different treatment on a 2 night stay than a 15 night stay (except maybe either extra towels or instructions for how to use the washing machine) unless you promised me otherwise.
htxag09
AG
Thanks, we do have a binder with instructions on how to use the washing machine, dryer, TV's, thermostat, etc.

And we do advertise as having breakfast food. Normally we'll just leave a bowl of fruit (bananas and apples), about a dozen or so croissants, yogurt, and we leave some breakfast bars in the pantry. Do you think that'll suffice or should we restock after a week?
Random Ag
AG
I would probably restock or include more things that don't go bad - instant oatmeal, etc. OR you could have the renters let you know if they run out and you'll drop off more items.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.