Quick little "weekender" to Oahu...

3,340 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Big Al 1992
Astroag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tips from any recent visitors...its been a while since i've been.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
nosoupforyou
AG
I know Big Island, but not Oahu
aggiegal99
We spent 10 days there this past summer. What do you want to know?

We stayed in Honololu near the conference center for 4 nights, then moved to am Air BnB rental house on the North Shore for 6 nights. I completely preferred the North Shore to Waikiki and Honolulu. I suppose it depends on the time of year you are going and the type of lifestyle/trip you prefer. If you are fancy, you'll like Waikiki. If you are laid back, the North Shore is for you. In the summer, the snorkeling in the North Shore is incredible. In the winter, mortals can't even put their toes in the water.

We hiked several different trails, ate at a number of good places (and some overrated ones), surfed, ziplined, did stand-up paddleboarding. We saw just about every touristy thing on the island, except for a luau and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Avoid the Dole plantation. It was the only thing that really sucked.

oldschool87
AG
How do you do a weekender to Oahu???
62strat
AG
oldschool87 said:

Maybe he lives in Hawaii?
Always_Right
AG
Went this summer, snorkeling at Hanauma Bay is a must do. We also stayed on Waikiki, the most enjoyable thing for us was just driving around the island and stoping at all of the "lookouts".
oldschool87
AG
62strat said:

oldschool87 said:

Maybe he lives in Hawaii?
Lives in Hawaii, and comes to TexAgs on advice for what to do, in Hawaii.

Is this your final answer?
TLA02
AG
From a certified Hawaii Snob:

Don't stay in Honolulu it is a waist. It is almost line NYC on the water. You can visit but here's what I would do:
Stay in Turtle Bay, you won't regret it. It has it's own cove great for snorkeling just as good as Hanauma Bay and it doesn't cost anything to swim. Board rentals also avail for Surfing. (Sale now Maybe just got a flier)

Take the H2 out of Pearl to 99 towards Haleiwa.
First Stop: Dole Pineapple Plantation (short trip don't get roped into anything long) on the way to the Hotel.
Second Stop: Hotel. Enjoy the day relaxing there. Hopefully they aren't filming another movie there. Last time I went they were filming MIke and Dave Need Wedding dates and my normally zen/tranquil location was not so quiet.
Day 2: Wake up. Go north on 83 about 10 min drive and go to the Hukilau Caf. This in name is the same that was on 50 first dates but not the same location, still a great dive breakfast place. From there drive to Laie Point. This location was on Forgetting Sarah Marshall (same as hotel) where they jumped in the water, gorgeous 360 views.
Sometime after lunch check out the food trucks you passed.
Giovannis shrimp truck is the most famous but there is plenty there that is awesome we have tried it all. Warning, the Thai food that says spicy means it.
Dinner head down towards the Bonzai pipeline to Haleiwa. We like Haleiwa Joes, or Banzai Sushi. Great shopping in this area or paddle boarding as well. You also have to get the Famous Matsumoto Shaved Ice in this town.
Day 3. Leave early and hike the Waimea Valley. It is awesome and ends at a waterfall you can swim at.
Takes about 1.5 hour round trim all well paved. They have walls with all the movie posters of films that were filmed.
If this is it and your time is over Check out at about 11 and drive around the East side head back down 83 you will pass China mans hat in the water at a nice park and somewhere in that area is Mikes Huli Hut Chicken. It is great.
Take 83 to 72 and keep going around. There are some cool overlooks along with the Blow Hole on this route.
This will put you in Waikiki around 2ish. Still plenty of time before your late flight home to do some touristy things and you are only 15mins from the airport. Park and shop there.
Enjoy!

Edit: If you have an extra day: Relax at the beach then Luau ( I haven't tried Turtle Bays Luau heard it is just ok) Suggest Germaine's Luau. It s a travel over to the SW side of the island. The Polynesian Cult center is great, but it is done by BYU so no alcohol, I go to vacation to drink so that didn't work for me. Best by far Luau is old Lahaiana (Sp?) but that is in Maui.
SoTheySay
S
Island Breeze food truck. North Shore. Snow cones.
2012Ag
AG
Sharks Cove on North Shore was great.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I can't vouch for a lot of what was said above just because I haven't done it.

I can vouch 110% for Turtle Bay on Oahu.

The ocean front/beach cottage is the way to go. We stayed there a few years ago and plan to return for the last few days of our 10yr anniversary next year. We'll spend most of our time on Kauai (new to us) but plan on 2 or 3 nights at Turtle Bay in an ocean/beach cottage.

We've only been to Hawaii once, and we stayed in Waikiki, Ko Olina, and Turtle Bay. TB was awesome. The other places we stayed on Oahu were Disney does Hawaii or "Any big city on the ocean".

Visually, TB is where Forgetting Sara Marshall was filmed.
ktownag08
AG
I'd say enjoy a weekend in the city (Honolulu/Waikiki) and be like a local. Hang out at Ala Moana beach park where you can SUP/swim/grill on one of the public grills, eat your way through Kapiolani Community College farmers market, have dinner at Shabu Shabu house, happy hour at Rum Fire in the Sheraton, watch the Aggies at Giovanni Pastrami's (Oahu A&M club usually meets there, check FB page to verify), eat dinner at Lucky Belly in China Town, hike Diamond Head, rent a bike and ride the 'Lei of Parks', surf Waikiki, etc.

I lived on Oahu for over 4 years, and this is what I'd personally do. North Shore is pretty busy this time of year so I'd avoid it unless you want to watch surf tournaments.

Either way, you'll be in Hawaii and really can't go wrong. Aloha my friend!
Jock 07
AG
Headed out there next week for work. Will be staying on pearl. Should be free in the evenings, so looking for suggestions on what to do with our time then. Don't think I'm really interested in luaus
Big Al 1992
AG
Hotels in Oahu? Marriott or SPG properties?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.