Disney World During Spring Break Advice

8,434 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by lil99chris
Humorous Username
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Disney World during Spring Break 2017.

• What should we absolutely see and/or do?
  • If you could only see/do one thing what would you do?
  • What should we pass on doing?
  • Best route to drive there and back from San Antonio? Best city/hotel to stay at one night between San Antonio and Disney?

Some specifics:

• Leaving SA on Friday and driving. Planning to stay overnight somewhere along the way Friday night (any recommendations?). I've heard the WAZE app will be a lifesaver.
  • It will be me, my wife, my 6 year old (boy), and my 4 year old (girl)
  • My 6 year old is blind, and other families with blind children have said Disney was a great experience for them
  • Will be at Disney six nights (Saturday night through Thursday night)
  • Staying at the Port Orleans Riverside (didn't get an engineering degree, so can't afford Grand Floridian )

Thanks in advance
AW96
AG
I only have a couple of minutes so I will come back later for more thoughts. For now, I will tell you that planning is key to Disney. There's a great website named easywdw.com with wonderful advice about which parks to choose which day and lots of touring tips and reviews that will be very valuable when planning. He also writes blog entries on his site and has co published a great tour book that you can get on Amazon. Josh (who runs easywdw) can be quite sarcastic which makes the posts fun to read, but I just like to forewarn people just in case. Anyway, his site (which is free) is a treasure trove of info and there are trip planning forums / bulletin boards too. It's still a little early, but the March 2017 crowd calendars will be a wonderful help in planning your days. Check out his site/ book soon to get you started.

I will also say that Disney does a great job with the Disability pass/ accommodations. My son has aspergers/ high functioning autism and can easily become overwhelmed/ overstimulated by long crowded lines which can lead huge meltdowns. The disability fastpass in addition to our regular scheduled fastpasses help make the trip very enjoyable. We are theme park people, but nobody comes close to doing it like Disney. It's the most enjoyable trip for us by far. We go about every 3 years and my kids talk about it almost daily between trips.

I've got to run. I'm sure you'll get other great advice. There's just so much out there. Disboards is another Disney site with lots of people discussing all things Disneyworld. I'll try to get back to give you my thoughts on your specific questions. Good luck!
AW96
AG
Book title

The Easy Guide to Your First Visit. By Josh Humphrey and David Shute

Website
easywdw.com
Humorous Username
AG
Thank you. Keep 'em coming.
ziggity06
My wife is a travel agent and she can set the whole trip up for you if you haven't booked it yet. Oh and her services are free to you Disney pays her commission. Nicholle@magicaladventurestravel.com
Stive
AG
Using someone like ziggity's wife is a really good way to go if this if your first time (disclaimer, to my knowledge I've never met ziggity or his wife). DIsney is big. expensive, and there are lots of moving parts so using a pro that can walk you through it the first time is really helpful.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
My wife is a travel agent and she can set the whole trip up for you if you haven't booked it yet. Oh and her services are free to you Disney pays her commission. Nicholle@magicaladventurestravel.com

Already set up through an agent similar to your wife.
GrayMatter
AG
It also helps to get advice from former cast members... We recently went when my girls were then 2 and 4 towards late spring.
quote:
What should we absolutely see and/or do?
If you're asking about this, I'm assuming you've never been. I'd set up your fast passes for later in the day than when you plan to make it to the park. This is kind of contradictory to what everyone suggests just because you'll have less fast passes available for any given day, however it gives you guys a chance to absorb the Disney atmosphere at your own space. To each their own, but I've always thought it was a bad idea to rush through the park to make it to your first fast pass attraction because you miss everything that the main gate area that each park offers. If you're at Magic Kingdom there's a cart on the left hand side of the park near the Post Office where you can grab a button that says "first time visitor" or "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary". It's kind of a cool memento that you can grab that won't cost you a thing. Sometimes there's characters you can take pictures with as you're entering the park or also bathrooms just in case someone needs to go right away.

Because you'll be there during spring, I'd suggest visiting EPCOT for their Spring Flower and Garden show. They typically spruce up the landscape a tad bit more during these times.

I had to remind myself that sometimes the simplest things is the best entertainment with kids. My girls gave us fits about having to leave "The Boneyard" at the Animal Kingdom. It's a huge play area for kids with a "boneyard" that's filled with little smooth pebbles in a covered cool area where you can relax and hang out. If you plan to come here, make sure to visit Restaurantosaurus before because they serve kids lunches in a bucket with a little shovel that can be used at "The Boneyard".

Lastly, take your time and enjoy the atmosphere!
quote:
If you could only see/do one thing what would you do?
If I could narrow it down (which is very hard to do), I'd narrow it down to 2 things: meeting Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater in the Magic Kingdom and a character dining experience. For the longest time, characters in the parks have been forbidden to talk, but when you meet Mickey Mouse here, he talks! Now, the person in the costume doesn't actually talk, it's a recording, but nevertheless he'll interact with you and your kids and it's really fun to have that experience.

A character dining experience in my mind is a must too just because you don't really have to wait a long time to take pictures and/or interact with characters in the park. It's more relaxed and they spend more time with your family taking pictures or signing an autograph.
quote:
What should we pass on doing?
The first thing that comes to mind is overloading your day. While at Disney with kids, I've seen parents and kids go ballistic over the littlest of things as a result of trying to do too much while you're there. It's good to plan but also be flexibile and not freak out if you miss a thing or two. Be nice to Cast Members and they'll be nice to you. It's really hard to pin point to pass on doing Attraction A or Attraction B not knowing your personality, but just remember that keeping it simple is the best way to go in my opinion.

Good luck and have fun!
BlueAg2003
AG
www.touringplans.com

That website saved my life when I planned my first trip to Disneyworld last year. It costs $12.95 for a "subscription", but it is worth every penny. Do a little research on each park and come up with a list of the rides you want to go on. That site actually does a great job of telling you what each ride is, how long the wait is on certain days of the year (based on previous crowds and whatnot), and helps you figure out what to do. When you know what rides/attractions to want to do, put them into the optimizer and it comes out with an exact plan to follow down to the minute. I never stood in line for more than 20 minutes for ANY attraction and that was during the second week of June.

Also, stay on property. We stayed at Coronado Springs and had a blast. From what I've heard, all of the resort properties are great, so just pick the one that fits your family's needs. The benefits of staying on property really are tangible. Not only do you get to use their transportation, you get perks in the park (like extra FastPass selections...I'll talk about those in a second), Magic bands, and they send you cute little things as your visit gets closer. You'll get fun, personalized mail as the trip draws closer. I was really impressed with all of it.

Start reserving your FastPass rides/attractions or any other special dining experiences literally as soon as you can. I can't remember how many days out it was, but I was online at 12:01 AM getting our FastPass rides set up. It made all the difference. Also, book dining experiences as early as possible. Those things fill up quickly. I was able to get reservations for the royal princess breakfast thing at Cinderella's castle and make lunch reservations at Be Our Guest, but had to do so pretty far in advance.

You are going to have an absolute blast with your family. I'm not a Disney nut by any stretch of the imagination, but I had so much fun planning the trip and experiencing it with my daughter. If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me. I feel like I did enough research in setting it all up that I could answer tons of questions.
BlueAg2003
AG
Oh and just to add, this was our itinerary:

Day 1- Drove from Houston to Biloxi, MS- stayed at a hotel on the beach and enjoyed time on the beach after a long car drive
Day 2- Drove from Biloxi to Orlando- checked into our hotel and immediately enjoyed the Coronado Springs pool, Downtown Disney for dinner
Days 3- Blizzard Beach- the water parks are awesome and we opted for this one over Typhoon Lagoon. It didn't disappoint
Day 4- Magic Kingdom- part 1, took a break part way through the day, relaxed at hotel pool and then came back for Main Street Electrical Parade, fireworks, etc.
Day 5- Magic Kingdom- part 2, there was no way to see it all in one day
Day 6- Universal Studios- I actually wish we had done another day at a Disney park instead of this. I had been to Universal several times before, but not with my daughter. She just didn't enjoy it that much. She liked the Minions and the Popeye river ride, but that was about it.
Day 7- Animal Kingdom- this was one of her favorites
Day 8- back to Biloxi, same hotel
Day 9- back to Houston
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
I second using touring plans.com to help plan which park to go to on which day and order to do the attractions.
lil99chris
AG
You can rent points from a DVC member and usually get a Deluxe resort for the price of a Moderate.

http://dvc-rental.com/
bufrilla
AG
If staying on property, fast passes can be made 60 days in advance (off property 30 days). Dining reservations can be made 180 days in advance.
You can use the App, My Disney Experience and have everything at your beck and call. It is a Disney site for schedules, reservations, fast passes, etc.
myags8215
+1 for touringplans.com We never followed an actual plan, but the information is very helpful. Discounts for the subscription are available on www.mousesavers.com, which is also a very useful website. Be sure to sign up for the email newsletter.

Another great website is http://allears.net/. Be sure to sign up for the email newsletter here also.

I also highly recommend the "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bob Sehlinger.

The Disney website and app are essential. A tip is to be sure your phones are all charged up every day, put them in power saver mode, and carry an external battery pack. A day in the parks will suck your batteries dry quickly and outlets to charge your phones are very hard to find.

As for the drive, we did it several times from Houston when our kids were young. The last few times, we drove to Tallahassee the first day and then into Orlando to arrive by midday. From San Antonio, Mobile or Pensacola are probably more realistic targets. We would make up some treat bags (some little toys, coloring books, games, etc from the dollar store, and maybe a little candy) and pass them out at intervals along the way. Plan to stop often and let everybody get out and run around.
Humorous Username
AG
Thanks for the info.
gb2074
AG
I don't want to be negative because you seem to be pretty far along in planning this trip. I've taken my family to Disney World six or seven times. I've done a Disney Cruise. We've been twice to Disneyland. We like Disney. I think you should really consider going at another time. Spring break will be crowded beyond belief. Your kids are young enough that it won't hurt them to miss a few days of school. We did that twice when the kids were younger. Now my oldest is in high school and that just isn't an option. I've been at spring break and it was the worst of all the Disney trips I've done. It was still fun but not nearly as much as my other trips. I've also done summer which was the second worst. The best was January after school was back in. Crowds were light and the weather was perfect. The least crowded was September but it was still very hot. Both of those times you can get deals. If that's the only time you can go, by all means go. If you can move it up a month, you will be glad you did.
Humorous Username
AG
I appreciate the input. My wife is a teacher, and pulling the kids out of school is not an option.
hds
AG
I went last year during Spring Break and it wasn't that bad to me. Texas and Florida schools don't usually have the same week off so that might be to your advantage. I swear all we saw were people and school groups from Texas. As long as you plan your FP+ and meal reservations when the window opens you will be fine. We did FP+ mid to late morning, had lunch, and back to resort (Yacht Club) for pool time. Then back to the parks in the evening. We also did a couple of days of FP+ in the evening in connection with our dinner reservations. Just plan now so when reservation time come you know what you want! We also spent one afternoon at Typhoon Lagoon which was fun . . . check days and hours because both were not open when we were there.

No matter what it will be crowded but the kids (and adults) will have a blast!
PedroJack07
AG
I second easywdw and touring plans. Both are very great resources.

Absolutely see/do... don't forget you're on vacation to have fun with your family. I like to really plan our Disney trips, I think it's important to allow you to get the most out of it, but you have to stay flexible and remember you're there to have fun.

1 Thing -- The mountain rides in Magic Kingdom. (Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain)

What you can pass on.... I'd say Epcot World Showcase with littles. It's a loooong walk around that lake with the little people. If you can't get out of doing the Frozen ride in Norway (which was actually a decent ride with kids when it was Malestrom). Then you shouldnt walk any further than Norway. You can meet Donald in Mexico, the princess in Norway and then circle back to Marry Poppins in the UK if characters are your kids thing.

We stayed at Riverside last fall. Easy trip to the parks on the buses. I'd use touringplans service and have them fax-request a specific room for you (if your agent doesnt do that) so you can minimize your walk. We stayed near the front entrance and had some flexibility on catching a bus at the front or on a stop near our room.
If I remember correctly, the front of Riverside was one of the last stops, so you run the risk that it could be full, but if you're getting on it at an off-peak time, you get on and your'e on your way instead of having to make the loop around the resort.
BMX Bandit
Is there any significant differences between going from Norway to Great Britain through all the countries as going around the bottom?
flown-the-coop
AG
Going around bottom would be Norway to Mexico... area between future world and international showcase then Canada and arrive in GB. Around the "top" would be China, camel stop, Germany, Italy, USA, Japan, Morroco, France then bridge to GB. Pros of bottom route would be its about half to 2/3 of the other route, pros of the top route would be walking through the countries and continual refills on your cold beer.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Disney is always crowded. In my opinion spring break will be better than summer for a variety of reasons. Mainly, it won't be hotter than hell. We went in April this year and it was hot, but very tolerable. I'll never go to Disney in the summer.
Humorous Username
AG
After hearing Jim Gaffigan describe Disney in July, I don't think I'll be going in the summer unless someone else is paying for it.
Ag CPA
AG
We did spring break a couple of years ago, and as mentioned above, it was not too bad since Texas ISDs usually have one of the earlier spring breaks in the country; most states are closer to Easter. Weather was very nice too.
TXAGFAN
AG
We've been at the busiest time of the year, Christmas. You get out the door early and have a great time, it's no big deal.
Mucho austin
AG
Just went last week.

Hot as ever, but still tolerable. Bring a big jug of water and refil often. Any of the food service places will give you ice for free.
Humorous Username
AG
Travel agent let us know this morning that we have reservations to every one of our first choice character meals.
schmendeler
AG
meals, plural?
Ark03
AG
quote:
Travel agent let us know this morning that we have reservations to every one of our first choice character meals.
We must be going around the same time - we also got the email yesterday.

And yes, we also have meals (plural). I do prefer that to waiting in line just to meet a princess - at least we can sit down and they come to us.
Humorous Username
AG
Yes.
schmendeler
AG
well god bless you.
Humorous Username
AG
Bump
AggieDave02
AG
I'm looking for any advice as well. We will be there spring break and we are staying in Port Orleans.
duck79
AG
I just got back Wednesday after taking the kids out of school. The longest line was 40 minutes and I only had to stand on a bus once. I'm never going back during the summer or spring break.
flown-the-coop
AG
duck79 has the right idea. We are taking our little guy at the end of February... and taking him out of school for the week. Not the slowest week as it will be over Mardi Gras, but his cousin has the week off (from NO), its still pretty slow, though you have to put up with the hoard of coon arses who visit during Mardi Gras.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.