Charleston

12,759 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_N_Houston
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it 400/600 per night during the summer ?

Fall is their high season and probably justify their prices. I would look to staying one night is historic district if you can. Two sisters and Charleston Sole walking tours are probably two of the best. Don't go for an architectural tour but rather a historical one as you will see the great churches in route anyway

Plan a basic outline of what you want to do. Make a couple of dinner reservations but if willing to eat earlier or later you can find a great place to eat by spinning around blindfolded and throwing a stone and eating at the building you hit without a reservation

Be willing to spend more than you normally would want on meals and get low country food if at all possible

Proof and prohibition are two of the better bars

Get out of historic district can get a cheaper hotel and many nice mansions and islands to visit. If willing to commute a bit Beaufort SC is stunning and halfway between Charleston and another beautiful city in Savannah

AustinCountyAg
Bump just because I am excited. Wife and I fly out next Monday

For our 3 days/2 nights in downtown Charleston we have reservations at poogans porch and Blossom for dinner. Lunch reservation at fleets landing. We've been going back and forth on dinner at Blossom. We have also tossed around the idea of hitting up a pizza place that night. We are both pizza fanatics.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Write a review of your trip when you get back. We leave at the end of July.
Wicked Good Ag
While i love pizza as well it is not what you want while in Charleston. Lo country food and some incredible meals await...

Poogan porch is great but know nothing about Blossom at all.

Fleet landing is to me a great lunch spot so you are spot on there. I think for lunch you dont need as many reservations at all and wondering the historic district will allow you to look at sidewalk menus

And i concur on the trip report when you get back. Safe travels and make sure you have some good walking shoes
AustinCountyAg
So include currently sitting in the griffon pub several beers in waiting to head out and I'd figure now is a good time for a quick trip report while the wife is shopping.

Flew in Monday and got the rental car and headed for Kiawah. Got in and out of the airport in probably twenty minutes max. Very simple and easy. Checked in at the Andell Inn and strolled the shops at Freshfields Village Monday evening. Had dinner at Reds Ice house in the Marina. Typical food you'd expect at a marina. Decent enough. You pay for the views. It was worth it.

Tuesday slept in and had breakfast at hotel and the headed to Ocean Course. Wife and I shared some nachos at Ryder Cup Bar. They were very good and the views were amazing. My golf review is on the golf board. Like other have said even if you don't wanna golf at least go eat out there. The houses on the way in Kiawah are breathtaking. Tuesday night we are at tattoooded moose and it was excellent. Wife loved her burger and my thanksgiving sandwhich was legit. All in all a Tuesday I'll never forget for a golf nut like me.

Wednesday we drove in to Charleston and checked in at vendue hotel. Had a few drinks before dinner at Poogans Porch. Excellent. I had beef ragu wife had fried pork chops. Desert key lime pie. Wife said it was best meal experience ever.

Thursday had breaksfast at the bake house. Great sausage biscuits. Had lunch at brown dog deli. It was good but nothing life changing. Dinner was at Blossom. Wife had fried flounder which she loved and I had the blackened catfish served over their shrimp and grits. Best meal I've ever ate. Period.

Friday lunch at Fleets Landing. Great views and food was very good.

All in all every meal was great. What we take away the most though is the city is so beautiful. The houses and streets are awesome. Our best part of the trip in the city was literally just walking and looking at all the building and reading about the history. It's awesome. Everyone we encountered was very polite and super nice. In summary we really enjoyed ourselves and it was the perfect trip before our twins arrive in December.

Feel free to ask any questions. This was a drunk ramble on the phone while I finish my beer and watch Rory suck it up
Wicked Good Ag
Thank for the trip report. Looked up blossom and like the menu. The blue crab ravioli seems like a winner and I love swordfish

Kiwaii Island was so much fun back in the late 90s I assume it has just gotten better
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We are also staying at The Vendue. How was it?
AustinCountyAg
Location is excellent. Close to the battery amd rainbow row and about a thirty second walk to waterfront park. Wife and I walked everywhere however if you want to venture to some of the places on upper king street it can be a bit of a hike especially if it's during the day when the heat is beating down on you.

We stayed in an interior queen room so our room was pretty small. Basically just a bedroom and bathroom. Not a lot of room for luggage and what knot. Hotel and rooms are very modern and art is everywhere on the property.

Staff was nice and very helpful. We also enjoyed the rooftop bar. Go during the afternoon to beat the crowd. We literally had the entire upper floor to ourselves one afternoon. It gets very busy when the sun starts going down.

I did peak in a king size room and it is much more spacious that what we had fwiw if that is what you booked? Be aware though that sound does travel pretty easy inside the rooms. All in all we enjoyed it. Luckily I got a discounted rate. Not sure I'd pay the normal price for a room their though if we were to go back.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We booked a queen with a window- not sure if the exterior rooms are any bigger than interior.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We leave next weekend. So far, we have booked dinners at Blossom and Magnolias. We land late morning, so we are thinking of doing brunch at Poogan's while we wait to check into the hotel.

We had booked a tour with Charleston Sole, but it got cancelled. Any other recommendations? We need to do the tour Sunday, so Two Sisters is out.
Ag_07
AG
We did a walking tour with Oyster Point Walking Tours and thought it was perfect.

Laid back but very informative and interesting. The tour guide even gave out her phone in case any of us needed personalized recs for anything during our stay.
Wicked Good Ag
Only two I have heard of for tours are sole and two sisters. I am sure there are more and solid ones at that

As for Magnolias. We loved the fried chicken but lots of people have said they had below average meals because of service so be aware. Poogans is great spot. Not sure of brunch menu but I would assume food will be good regardless. My favorite there was 82 queen in the courtyard area but we went in more comfortable weather in October but food was unbelievable. My wife favorite was Muse which locals recommended.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_N_Houston said:

We leave next weekend. So far, we have booked dinners at Blossom and Magnolias. We land late morning, so we are thinking of doing brunch at Poogan's while we wait to check into the hotel.

We had booked a tour with Charleston Sole, but it got cancelled. Any other recommendations? We need to do the tour Sunday, so Two Sisters is out.

At Blossom Get the pimento cheese blackened catfish. Served over shrimp and grits. ****. I literally think about it once a week. Best dinner I've ever ate
Big Bucks
AG
Definitely do brunch at Poogan's. Chicken and waffles and a Bloody Mary for the win!
cena05
AG
Here now and the city is really fun and interesting. We're staying at the Elliott House right next door to Husk and Poogans. If you like beer then head to Craftsmans or Edmonds Ost and also Craft Conundrum, they sell the most beer by volume in the area and have 150 beers on tap.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
If you are into bourbon, ask for the barrel pick for either Weller or Elijah Craig at Husk. It will not disappoint.
Ag_N_Houston
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.