Montreal in april

1,781 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Spore Ag
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Montreal for 4 days in April for work. Will have plenty of time to see some sights. Got a convention at the convention center downtown. I'm a marriott guy so can stay at courtyard 2 blocks from it or in old town Montreal spring hill suites about 6-7 blocks away

Never been to Canada or Montreal. Anyone been lately and can provide some insights to getting around food down there etc etc?

I've heard Montreal has a pretty lively bar and foodie scene
Potcake
AG
Old Town is a great area, reminds me of French Quarter. We walked all over downtown and Old Town. Lots of really cool churches. We even found a pretty decent Mexican restaurant in Old Town
Matsui
AG
TTT
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:

I've heard Montreal has a pretty lively bar and foodie scene
i hear their finer establishments are quite lively.
Matsui
AG
Names?
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
I was in Montreal in August. It's a gorgeous place. We had a blast just walking around and exploring. I wasn't a huge fan of Old Town, but I can totally see how some people would really like it. We got around just using the bus and the subway without any issues. I had the three best meals of my life in Montreal at three restaurants all owned by the same pair of chefs: Joe Beef, Liverpool House, and Le Vin Papillon. Le Vin takes no reservations and has a cool outdoor patio in the back if you want to go to Joe Beef or Liverpool House I suggest making reservations pretty far out, they're small and fill up quickly. We also tried L'Express for lunch one day, and it was a delicious classic French Bistro. I went to the coffee shop Pikolo Espresso Bar for breakfast one day that was just down the street and it was fantastic. Let me know if you have any other questions I was only there for a couple of days.
Matsui
AG
cool info thanks
The Pilot
AG
Will be visiting Montreal next month. Anyone else have any more suggestions?
Spore Ag
Taking the train from NYC. 10 hours arriving below Hotel Bonnaventure. Leave on April 10 to the 13, then on to Quebec by train.
Potcake
AG
There was one big open area in Montreal with artists and craftsmen selling their stuff. Also some Peruvian guys (just like the ones at the Mercado in San Antonio) selling their CDs. There are some great restaurants and bars with outdoor areas if it's warm. Additionally, Cirque du Soleil is based there. Hope you enjoy.
texagpilot
AG
Any outdoor activities or parks in the area worth seeing? Going April 26 for 5 days.
CrottyKid
AG
Any more reports? I have to go to Montreal for work in August.
The Pilot
AG
Just went for a few days. We did:

-bicycle tour, great tour guide and really informative. He took us to a really good bagel place, can't remember the name but we also went to Fairmount Bagel and had pretty much an identical Montreal style bagel.
-Olympic Park tour - toured the Olympic stadium and swimming facilities. Also visited the nearby biodome.
-Mont Royal - nice outdoor park with some hiking, offers great views of Montreal.
-Notre Dame Basilica - a beautiful church. Wish we had gone to an actual service.

Overall the food was great everywhere we went. We ate at a really nice dinner at H4C, great french style food.

Also had poutine at La Banquise and cured beef sandwiches at Schwartz's, both of these places are cash only.

Everyone spoke to us initially in French but quickly switched to English when they saw we couldn't understand everything they were saying.

We wanted to tour a few of nearby islands but just ran out of time.

Spore Ag
Try to eat some Asian food. Did a Dim Sum which was great. Beer is good there. Try to get a day travel pass as subwYs Rd good. Train station is a good place to get things to go. I did encounter a lot of panhandlers as well as some street scams like a nice looking guy who needs money for gas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.