Heading to Excellence Playa Mujeres on 4/20

13,112 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tabasco
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is our third anniversary trip and we will be staying for a week. I've heard nothing but great things about this resort from the folks on here and we are certainly looking forward to it. In fact, Texags is the whole reason I found the resort in the first place.

If anyone has been, what are some "must-dos" we should check out?

Of course, I'll be back with a full report once the trip is over.
Hincemm
AG
Cadillac margarita as soon as you step up to the lobby bar
txag2008
AG
Me and my soon to be wife will be there for 6 days starting 4/29. I'm also curious to hear of any tips from the board.
10andBOUNCE
AG
CrownNSprite
AG
Spend a day at isla Mujeres and go specifically to bujos beach. Back at epm, i highly rec the couples massage that comes w the hydro therapy circuit. Take a walk through the marina. Try the iceberg.
Malachi Constant
AG
Thanks for the tips!
nomadic_ag
AG
When you get to Isla Mujeres, check out the pita place on the Northeast side of the island. Delish! Great, charismatic owner too, he went to chef's school in NYC and you can see his affinity for it on the walls.
oldschool87
AG
It's quiet, its like your own private beach in Cancun...

If you want to spend some time with the little women then this is your place! There are hammocks, beds in the bushes, no kidding...

If your looking for night life, party, dancing and rock and roll, you will hate this place...

Just depends on what you want... rooms are nice, and have a shower as big as your room...
Ogre09
AG
Wake up
Eat breakfast on balcony
go down to beach
read and drink cuba libres
grab some lunch at one of the restaurants above the pool
spend the afternoon at the pool bar
take a nap
clean up for dinner
go eat dinner
hang out at one of the bars
head back to the room early
repeat
Ogre09
AG
+1 on couples massage
Tabasco
AG
Just booked a two story terrace at this place for early May. I will let you know what I think.

TP Ag '87
AG
oldschool87: appreciating your point, is there a place you or others recommend with at least a LITTLE night life, rock and roll, fun, social interaction?

We're looking for something along those lines but am shying away from anything Mexico.

TP Ag '87
KVB07
AG
Going for our honeymoon June 10 for 6 nights! We booked early and got a 25% discount so we went for the roof top room. It was the only thing I was in charge of for the wedding and I think I knocked it out of the park!
RVAg02
AG
Thinking about hitting up this place as well. We went to a smaller luxury AI in Mexico last year, but with a toddler, when we get a break we just want to sit and do nothing (other than drink, eat, swim, and ....)
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
We booked early and got a 25% discount so we went for the roof top room.

We ALMOST sprung for the rooftop terrace, but it was a little out of the budget. We opted for the swim-up room instead.

From everything I've read, the rooftops are the best, but there isn't a bad room at the place.
LOAD2000
AG
Mayan Coffee at the "Mexican" restaurant.

ChateauBriand at the "French" restaurant.

Definately check out Isla Mujeres - We rented a golf cart and spent half a day exploring the island.

Enjoy the peace. Wish I was going back sometime soon.
LOAD2000
AG
TPAg - There is plenty of social interaction if you spend the whole day doing tequila shots at the swim-up bar. Makes for an early night though!

The late night bar action is a little slow at the Excellence resorts - more a "relaxing scotch and Cuban cigar while listening to the ocean" kind of place. However - there are plenty of chances to meet other people if you want... Just no wild 4 am parties.
txag2008
AG
quote:
Definately check out Isla Mujeres - We rented a golf cart and spent half a day exploring the island.

You have anymore details? I've heard of doing this from several people.

How did you get set up to get out to the island? Was that through the resort?
CrownNSprite
AG
The resort will call a cab for you, which will take you to the ferry terminal. Ferry takes you over, then once you get there you can rent a golf cart. You should also check out Villa la Bella. An American Couple own this place. Very cool and very different from the rest of the island. Google it for tons of really positive reviews and pics.
LOAD2000
AG
CrownNSprite nailed it on the head - just get the resort to get you a cab and take the ferry over and back.

Here is a little bit of what you will be enjoying...

RVAg02
AG
LOAD...is that on the island or at the resort?
LOAD2000
AG
Top picture was at the resort.

Bottom picture was at the Sculpture Gardens on the island.
RVAg02
AG
very nice.

Just found out we won't be going this year. awesome...

Malachi Constant
AG
Thanks for all the awesome responses. We leave tomorrow morning for a week. We will for sure be heading to isla mujeres!
Tabasco
AG
Blatant see if they have wifi for me. They say they do, but reviewers in past have said no workie
CrownNSprite
AG
Wifi has worked well for me on both trips.
Tabasco
AG
Crown, does the wifi signal reach the rooms, or just in some common (e.g. lobby) area?

txag2008
AG
Haven't tested it myself, but I've read multiple people on TripAdvisor forums say that wifi was even accessible on the EPM beach.
Tabasco
AG
Good to know, thanks
CrownNSprite
AG
Yes, it worked in both of our rooms (bldg 7 &8), but at times we would need to go out to the balcony for better signal. Not sure about the beach.
Malachi Constant
AG
Quick post.

My wife and I are currently at EPM in building 9 and I'm having no trouble at all browsing the internet with the wifi here (much to my wife's chagrin!)

Longer post later. Suffice it to say this is the best resort we've ever been to...
Tabasco
AG
This dropped to the last post on the page, so I thought I would bump for an update. You probably got back today (or tomorrow). I leave on Monday, May 7.

txag2008
AG
Getting married maƱana and headed to EPM for 6 days starting on Sunday. Pumped
Tabasco
AG
Too bad you leave right before I get there. I would have bought you drinks.
Malachi Constant
AG
Best place we've ever been. Longer review tomorrow. Too tired tonight.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.