Glacier National Park

877 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nosoupforyou
theaggiefan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone been? Wife and I thinking of going in August. How long would you recommend we stay. We'd like to do the backcountry camping deal and I know there is a permit system. Any tips would be appreciated.
turfman80
AG
The longer the better. I would say a minimum of 6-7 days is needed to get a true taste of GNP. Good luck!
Hoyt Ag
AG
If you plan on staying at a hotel near the park or in it, you better have already made a reservation.

You can PM me for any hike info, worked there a number of years.
theaggiefan
Thanks hoyt. We will be backpacking it with tents etc. Would be ibterested to find out any four day hikes you would recommend
Hoyt Ag
AG
It depends on what you want to see/do. If you are seeking wildlife and being really remote, then I would do something out of Many Glacier, maybe Ptarmigan trail to Cosley Lake, then head SW to Glenns Lake. Both are really remote and offer some great wildlife opportunities.

My favorite part of the park is Bowman Lake to Frances Lake to the lower end of Upper Waterton Lake. It is a lot of hiking, but well worth it (you would need more than 4 days though). You can also get to Upper Waterton Lake by the Waterton Valley trail via the Highline Trail.

Mt Grinnel offers some good backcountry too.

Google Earth has 80 percent of the hikes, so check them out. In the Layers tab, Click the last box 'More' and then make sure that everything is off, except Parks and Recreation. The hikes are laid out in miles and are also named.

[This message has been edited by Hoyt Ag (edited 6/26/2011 8:32p).]
ursusguy
AG
Lucky man. I can't wait to get back up there. Listen to Hoyt and you will see some amazing country.
theaggiefan
Thanks, Hoyt. We are planning on camping for four nights. My wife and I are in good shape - what is a reasonable number of miles to be able to hike in a day? We are most interested in the scenery, but of course see wildlife would be a plus, too.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I will PM you some things I have wrote up in the past for other posters. Let me condense them for you, as I am pretty long winded when it comes to GNP.

[This message has been edited by Hoyt Ag (edited 6/26/2011 10:25p).]
nosoupforyou
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I will PM you some things I have wrote up in the past for other posters. Let me condense them for you, as I am pretty long winded when it comes to GNP.

[This message has been edited by Hoyt Ag (edited 6/26/2011 10:25p).]
PM please!

I'm headed up that way mid-july with the family of 6 (kids 8-14) and could use any advice you can provide. I'm a big planner so working out all of my days

VRBO's already booked in:

• 2 nights in Banff
  • 4 nights in Columbia Falls
  • 2 nights in East Glacier
  • 2 nights in Waterton Lakes NP
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.