***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,896,392 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by texasaggie2015
HarryRocket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The juiced balls and the special bat.
Wabs
AG
3 strikeouts in the 8th for the Cards. They suck with a capital S.
Marvin
AG
What was that graphic on TV? Best run differential in baseball for the past 80+ years?

Yeah, that's sustainable. I'll bang this drum until they fall like a lead balloon later in the year. Enjoy the ride, Rangerettes. It won't last, and it won't matter.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
LarryElder
gayangers
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

What was that graphic on TV? Best run differential in baseball for the past 80+ years?

Yeah, that's sustainable. I'll bang this drum until they fall like a lead balloon later in the year. Enjoy the ride, Rangerettes. It won't last, and it won't matter.

I think they could win the division, but we beat them in the playoffs. Just like 2020 with the A's
W
AG
here's where the situation is headed...

the Astros probably need to go 7-3 in the 10 remaining games vs. the Rangers

a 5-5 split is not going to work

and Dusty...wake up Dusty...this is where you stagger the rotation to make sure the Rangers get Framber and Javier
Hornbeck
HarryRocket said:

What do we think Albert Pujols could give us? He's probably younger than Abreau. He hit .270/.895 last year.

Prior to the Abreu HR he hit against the As, Pujols had hit 6 since Abreu hit his last one.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They won't keep this pace

Grienke leads the Royals in WAR if we get him back, we can get Yanier more ABs by lettting Grienke hit and DH Yanier in place of Abreau or Maldy
All I do is Nguyen
Well DeGrom is having TJ surgery so he's out for this year and most of next.

I hate to say about the guy but I'm not surprised given his history.
No matter what
Bregxit
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Well DeGrom is having TJ surgery so he's out for this year and most of next.

I hate to say about the guy but I'm not surprised given his history.
We're in June. He won't pitch next year.
Big Al 1992
AG
3B Paul 97
AG
Abreu has to be tired of eating the same **** everyday.

Dies Irae
Ronel Blanco = Ron White
bearkatag15
AG
scd88
AG
I feel this is Dusty's last year and Espada will take over next season.
Deluxe
AG
W said:

here's where the situation is headed...

the Astros probably need to go 7-3 in the 10 remaining games vs. the Rangers

a 5-5 split is not going to work

and Dusty...wake up Dusty...this is where you stagger the rotation to make sure the Rangers get Framber and Javier
IMO if we take care of our own business, we'll track them down without a ton of drama.

I think we'll be leading the division by the time we play them again at the end of the month. We just need to dominate @CLE, WAS, CIN and NYM over the next couple weeks. Hopefully 10-2 or 11-1. Big opportunity in front of us.
McInnis
AG
So with Salazar going down are the Astros officially saying that Diaz will never DH or play 1B again, with this roster?

And I've read that Kessinger has played some 1B at Sugarland. He has 6 home runs there this year. Is he a candidate to give Abreu some days off?

I just realized I still remember the Cubs infield from the late 60s when I became a baseball fan. Kessinger, Beckert, Santo and Banks. Not bad. Kessinger had a really good career but he's the only one of them who isn't HOF.
Dies Irae
scd88 said:

Either way I feel like this is Espada's last year as a bench coach
Deluxe
AG
McInnis said:

So with Salazar going down are the Astros officially saying that Diaz will never DH or play 1B again, with this roster?

And I've read that Kessinger has played some 1B at Sugarland. He has 6 home runs there this year. Is he a candidate to give Abreu some days off?

I just realized I still remember the Cubs infield from the late 60s when I became a baseball fan. Kessinger, Beckert, Santo and Banks. Not bad. Kessinger had a really good career but he's the only one of them who isn't HOF.
Is it possible that Kessinger goes back down and Salazar (or Lee) comes up when Altuve demonstrates his health?

It seems like Kessinger's only purpose was/is temporary infield depth.
Dies Irae
I would bring up C Korey Lee, his scouting profile has him as an above average defensive First Baseman, with the potential to develop into a gold glover. He can spell Abreu, Dubon can handle the other infield spots, and if you DH Yainier, you still have a spare.

We need yainier's bat in the lineup
texasaggie2015
AG

I've heard Soler's name tossed around but not sure how serious the Astros are about it. The Marlins are trending up, but he's a free agent at the end of the year so he might not cost too much. It would add some serious pop to the lineup.

As far as Bieber goes, yeah, the Astros will do their due diligence on him... as they should. But that's a pipe dream. I have a hard time believing they would give up what Cleveland would want for him.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dies Irae said:

I would bring up C Korey Lee, his scouting profile has him as an above average defensive First Baseman, with the potential to develop into a gold glover. He can spell Abreu, Dubon can handle the other infield spots, and if you DH Yainier, you still have a spare.

Korey Lee has played 67 innings at first base in the minors and he would be a significantly below average first baseman from an offensive standpoint
Wabs
AG
scd88 said:

I feel hope this is Dusty's last year and Espada will take over next season.
McInnis
AG
The Astros bar for an average offensive first baseman is pretty low right now isn't it?
Wabs
AG
Absolute yes on Soler. Bieber would be great but please don't overpay......
texasaggie2015
AG
I can promise you they aren't going to call up a player who they aren't even high on as a starting catcher in the future to start at first base
Dies Irae
texasaggie2015 said:

Dies Irae said:

Korey Lee has played 67 innings at first base in the minors and he would be a significantly below average first baseman from an offensive standpoint

I'm just basing this off of the scouting report from Baseball America. They have him as a 55 1B defense, and a 40 C defense (baseline is 50)
Ag_07
AG
I'm just not overly excited about Korey Lee in general.

Yeah he hasn't had a lot of ABs in the bigs but he seems to crush AAA then struggle mightily when called up. Like he looks completely overmatched and lost against big league pitching.

He seems like the quintessential AAAA player.
texasaggie2015
AG
Offensive numbers are pretty inflated across the board in AAA. I also have it on record that the front office has never been as high on Korey Lee as the fanbase seems to be. He'll likely get another shot, but I think the best case for him moving forward (at least in Houston) is splitting time with Yanier when Yanier plays DH to rest his legs.
k20dub
AG
scd88 said:

We've been saying this for a couple of years now.
k20dub
AG
Dies Irae said:

scd88 said:

We've also been saying this for a couple of years now.
Prosperdick
AG
k20dub said:

Dies Irae said:

scd88 said:

We've also been saying this for a couple of years now.
If we win it all again and Dusty wants to coach another year I'm down, even if that meant losing Espada. Now if we don't win it all Espada should be coach next year, so win/win?
texasaggie2015
AG
I haven't been told this, but I'm connecting the dots based off some of the conversations I've had with my friend who has the intel. If Dusty wins another title, it's up to him if he comes back. If they fall short, they'll move on.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I haven't been told this, but I'm connecting the dots based off some of the conversations I've had with my friend who has the intel. If Dusty wins another title, it's up to him if he comes back. If they fall short, they'll move on.

If all he does is win titles I'll put up with him
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

If all he does is win titles I'll put up with him

Um, yeah.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 620 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.