New Ballpark Update - Kansas City

6,716 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by agracer
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kansas City getting a new downtown stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox4kc.com/sports/royals/kansas-city-royals-confirm-new-stadium-plans/amp/

Tampa and Oakland - you're on the clock!

After those and Angels Stadium, the next oldest MLB stadium (not counting the Big 3) is Skydome of all places.
MaxPower
Damn I've always heard Kaufman is nice. Guess I need to try to get there before it's gone.
The Milkman
AG
Never heard someone lump Dodger Stadium in with Fenway and Wrigley.
vander54
S
MaxPower said:

Damn I've always heard Kaufman is nice. Guess I need to try to get there before it's gone.

Their current lease is up in 2030 so you may have some time.
World's worst proofreader
W
AG
building a stadium downtown...the 1990's are calling
TXAggie2011
AG
I see they're putting the famous crown over in right field, but I think it will be a mistake if they don't turn that huge jumbotron into MegaCrown
Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

One of my favorites. The outside is ugly, and it's out in nowheresville with Arrowhead, but the view from your seat is fantastic.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Big Cat `93
AG
I like watching their games on TV just to see the fountains. Cool feature, even though they kind of neutered it a few years ago.
TarponChaser
wbt5845 said:

Kansas City getting a new downtown stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox4kc.com/sports/royals/kansas-city-royals-confirm-new-stadium-plans/amp/

Tampa and Oakland - you're on the clock!

After those and Angels Stadium, the next oldest MLB stadium (not counting the Big 3) is Skydome of all places.

Isn't Oakland thought to be moving to Las Vegas? Just like the Raiders.
AustinAg2K
The Milkman said:

You must have never met a Dodger fan... Or ESPN announcer.
wbt5845
AG
AustinAg2K said:

The Milkman said:

You must have never met a Dodger fan... Or ESPN announcer.
When it comes to an old stadium that the franchise will likely never replace, they do go together.
Frok
AG
Quote:

"The renovations required at The K to achieve our objectives would cost as much or more than the price tag to develop a new ballpark," Sherman wrote. "A new home would be a far better investment, both for the local taxpayer dollars already supporting our facility and for the Kansas City community."

Yeah right
chlavinka
AG
Dodger Stadium is a better place to see a game than Wrigley and Fenway combined.
AustinCountyAg
chlavinka said:

Dodger Stadium is a better place to see a game than Wrigley and Fenway combined.
wrong
TexAg2001
AG
I was in KC for work so I took advantage and went to a game vs the Angels at Kauffman back in July. I couldn't believe that I only spent $20 for a front row seat right by 1st base. Parking was more expensive. There seemed to be more Angels fans in attendance than Royals.

Cool ballpark, but it has definitely seen better days.
Ag13
AG
chlavinka said:

Eh actually getting to Wrigley is much easier and the fans tend to be a bit more passionate (and on time). And from a historical perspective, Wrigley is almost half a century older.
W
AG
one area in which Dodger Stadium wins tremendously over Wrigley and Fenway...

parking
WES2006AG
AG
W said:

one area in which Dodger Stadium wins tremendously over Wrigley and Fenway...

parking
As long as you have 90 minutes to wait once you hit the gate. Couldn't believe how much traffic there was and how poorly it was managed inside the stadium gates when we were there in 2017.
double aught
AG
W said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Mr.Bond
AG
chlavinka said:

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

NorCal
Dodger Stadium is in a beautiful location, albeit about 300 miles too far south. The stadium itself is, for me, reminiscent of the old Fulton County Stadium the Braves played at until 1996(?) or thereabouts. It's just saved by the location and the views the location provides, and, sadly no longer, Vin Scully, who was absolutely amazing

Both LA and Anaheim desperately need new stadiums..
Wicked Good Ag
Kaufman is simple but to me of the ones i have been to is one of the best due to its simplicity

I havent been to Fenway and Wrigley is a much different vibe

That said I like the renditiion listed above and Kansas City is a great two to three day getaway for someone with my interests
chlavinka
AG
Nah. Dodger Stadium is the best major league ballpark. The one in SF is nice too (and love those cheese fries) but Dodger Stadium is better.
chlavinka
AG
Wrigley is very nice when the weather is nice, which is far from always.
AustinCountyAg
my problem with all these new stadium is that they all seem to run together after a while and look the same.

I wish more new stadiums would incorporate older aspects into them to give them a more traditional feel. Honestly, Rangers Stadium (choctow stadium or wtf it is now) did a pretty damn good job of that. Damn shame they couldn't figure out a way to put on a roof.
AggieEP
Jesus Cristo! They renamed the Ballpark in Arlington Choctaw Stadium.... just a slap in the face to see that beauty while walking over to the new stadium. I'm not opposed to the fact that they wanted a roof... but WTH, we go from a park with a ton of character to a neutered nothing special about it stadium.
NorCal
chlavinka said:

Nah. Dodger Stadium is the best major league ballpark. The one in SF is nice too (and love those cheese fries) but Dodger Stadium is better.

Think you mean Garlic Fries.
The Lost
double aught said:

W said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

They're basically doing what the Braves did in building an entertainment district, just down town. Seems like they're trying to keep the fountains in some fashion, but I'm sure it'll be closer to the new rangers stadium vs the old charm wise.
Farmer1906
AG

BCSWguru
I dont hate it
FDXAg
AG
Looks awesome
45-70Ag
AG
That'll be a really nice place.
dabo man
AG
https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/royals-unveil-plans-for-proposed-downtown-ballpark
Royals pick spot for proposed new ballpark
Quote:

On Tuesday at Kauffman Stadium, the Royals presented their plans to build a new ballpark and surrounding entertainment district in the Crossroads District in downtown Kansas City.

"Kansas City is a special place," Royals CEO/chairman John Sherman said. "We have outperformed many of our peers for our care for the heart of our city. Look at the residential growth downtown and the dynamism of the development and redevelopment of the Crossroads. The arts, the music, the food and drink.
Such altruism!!

I don't remember where, but I recently read about the latest generation of ballparks. Maximizing premium seating is old news. Real estate development (i.e. the surrounding land) is the new "it" feature owners want in their parks. I'm sure the downtown ballpark will be nice, but it's just extra miles and extra traffic as far as I'm concerned.

Kauffman is hopelessly dated, but I love it. It's seven miles my side of downtown (almost in Independence), right off I-70, and not having to deal with downtown traffic is wonderful. Surrounding the two stadiums (Arrowhead and the K) is a huge sea of parking. It's beautiful!!

Kauffman is small but loaded with good seats. I will miss it.
The Milkman
AG
Stadiums with big parking lots surrounding them are usually duds. 10 times out of 10 I'd rather go to a game somewhere that is in the middle of the city, bars, restaurants etc all immediately surrounding. Happy that the owners of these teams are revitalizing some of these areas.

Parking Lot Parks:
Anaheim
Philly
Dodgers
Rangers
KC
Milwaukee
Oakland
Tampa
White Sox

City Parks:
Houston
San Fran
St Louis
Detriot
Boston
Cincinnati
DC
Baltimore
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Minnesota
Atlanta
Cubs

Sorta Halfass in between: not a parking lot, but also not alot around it
NY Mets
Arizona
Denver
Marlins
Cleveland
Yankee
Seattle
Langley
What's Houston fall under?

In a swamp city?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.