***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

933,423 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Beat40
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Glad we have Abreu

That's 40-50 games and he'll be back before June starts.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

meme fuel
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Probably nothing from the team officially today
redline248
AG
I hope Bard gets abducted by aliens
wangus12
AG
Great take by Chris. Glad to see he seems to be doing better
3B Paul 97
AG
redline248 said:

I hope Bard gets abducted by aliens

I'm just as pissed at DeRosa for leaving him out there when you could tell Bard had no idea where the ball was going.
. . .

EastCoastAgNc
AG
They are signing profar as trade bait
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Interesting that they talk today
bearkatag15
AG

Rockies lock in Profar before Houston can even decide what to do about altuve
Mathguy64
AG
Rockies GM: "Get word to Bard. Tell him to hit Altuve and break his thumb. Then we will immediately sign Profar so they can't and then we will trade Profar to Houston for Tucker. I mean he doesn't want to be there anyway."
agproducer
AG
My take on the Altuve injury: Yeah, it sucks, but it could have happened in Spring Training or even any time in the season. I'm glad it's happened with about 2 weeks before the season and not after the All Star Break. Injuries happen. Framber broke his finger last year. We lost Brantley for a good portion of the year. How many times did the Astros lose Springer or Correa for an extended time? Look what the Phillies did with Harper out for a good chunk of last year.

We will be fine, and Jose shouldn't be with down by playoff time. This will also get Hensley more playing time at the MLB level.

Just because he's out for awhile doesn't mean the sky is falling.
Buck Compton
AG
No, it doesn't mean the sky is falling of course, but it's frustrating when the guy didn't just make a single mistake. He was dangerous and had no idea where that baseball was going. Shouldn't have been pitching.

Yes it could happen anytime, but it happened in a game that means nothing to the Astros as a team.

We have weathered plenty of injuries before, but that doesn't mean we will again. Hopefully Hensley gets an extended look and succeeds. My thoughts actually immediately went to Altuve trying to get to 3,000 hits in his career. Losing another 50 games for a WBC injury due to a dip**** journeyman from Colorado makes that even tougher after also losing 100 games to the COVID season. A full year can be tough.
BCEDAg
AG
So who bats lead off now? Peña?
Big Al 1992
AG
I'm concerned about 3000 as well - it was already gonna be a tough hill to climb but say 50 games costs him 50 hits - would he really give it up at 2900 or 2950
bearkatag15
AG
BCSGrubber
AG
jkag89
BCEDAg said:

So who bats lead off now? Peña?
Bregman would be who I would bat leadoff.
The Porkchop Express
11 days until opening day brings us to #11 on the jersey countdown.
Here's a bit of trivia for you to win some bar bets. For a 22-year stretch, only two men wore #11 - from 1987 to 2008 - only two men wore #11: Ken Caminiti or Brad Ausmus.

HOFer Eddie Mathews wore it in 1967. He was at the end of a career that had seen him hit more than 30 home runs 10 times, including 9 times in a row from 1953-1961. He was born in Texarkana and was traded to the Astros in 1967 for Bob Bruce and another pitcher. Sandy Alomar (father of Sandy Jr and Roberto) was later sent to the Astros to complete the trade. He hit 10 homers in 101 games for Houston, but one of those was #500, coming on July 16 in San Francisco off Juan Marichal. At the time, he was just the 7th member of the 500-homer club, getting there two months after Mickey Mantle and a full year before Hank Aaron. Now there are 26 guys with 500 homers.

The first Astro of note to wear it for a few years was Denis Menke, who sported #11 from 1968-1971. Menke played all over the infield and was a two-time all-star with the Astros. He had an amazing 1970 season, batting .304 with 13 homers and 92 RBi, with a .392 OBP and a .442 slugging %. Unfortunately he was part of the massive deal with the Reds that saw Joe Morgan leave town. He was traded back in 1974 but struggled to hit and retired an Astro. He returned to Houston as a coach from 1983-1988.

Menke was part of Astro history on what July 30, 1969. The Astros visited Shea Stadium for a doubleheader with the Mets. Ahead 5-3 in the top of the ninth, here is what the play by play reads.

Fred Gladding struck out looking.
Norm MIller walked.
Joe Morgan doubled to right, Miller to third
Jim Wynn intentionally walked
Denis Menke grand slam, Miller, Morgan, and Wynn scored.
Doug Rader singled to center
Ron Taylor replaces Cal Koonce pitching
Curt Blefary singled to right, Rader to third
Gargy Geifer fielder's choice to first, Rader out at home, Blefary to second.
Johnny Edwards walked, Blefary to third Geiger to second.
Fred Gladding singled, Blefary scored, Geiger to third, Edwards to second
Norm Miller singled, Geiger scored, Edwards scored, Gladding to second.
Passed ball, Gladding to third, Miller to second.
Joe Morgan walked.
JImmy Wynn grand slam, Gladding, Miller, and Morgan scored.
Menke grounded out to shortstop.

Yes, that was 2 Grand Slams in the same inning, and 11 runs on 7 hits in 16-3 win. And in the "you can't make this up "category. The second game of the doubleheader saw the Astros score 10 runs in the third against hte Mets, including a two-run homer by Larry Dierker off Nolan Ryan.

A few notables from the 70s and 80s include Frank Dipino and Alan Knicely, along with two months of Davey Lopes.

But in 1987, a series of injuries saw the Astros shift Denny Walling to left field and call up their Double A rocket launcher arm 3B prospect Ken Caminiti. His first game was right after the All-Star break against the Phillies and he blew the crowd's minds with his athleticism at third base, had a triple and hit his first career homer in the 7th inning off Kevin Gross to make it 1-1, and scored the game-winning, walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth. It is crazy how skinny he is in this clip.

He played the rest of the year at third but clearly Hal Lanier didn't like him or something because Denny Walling moved back to third to start 1988 and Caminiti was sent to Tucson. When Walling got hurt,the Astros traded for Buddy Bell. Lanier got canned in 1988 and Art Howe took over, declaring Caminiti the starter before the season. He was the starter fro the next six years in a row, hitting .294 in 1992 and being good for 15 homers and 75 RBI per year. His glove work was worth the price of admission.
We all know what happens next. He was traded to the Padres and his offensive numbers went off the charts. In 1996 he was NL MVP with 40 HR, 130 RBI and a .326 batting average. He returned to the Astros in 1999 and 2000 as a part-time starter, hitting .303 in 2000. Regardless, he hit more homers in 4 years with San DIego (121) than in 10 years with Houston (103).
The end is bitter. He had lots of trouble with drugs and alcohol starting in high school, and admitted to using steroids in a Sports Illustrated article. Cammy died on October 10, 2004, collapsing after taking a speedball of cocaine and heroin and going into cardiac arrest. He was cremated and interred at the ranch he co-owned with Craig Biggio.

When Caminiti wasn't wearing #11, Brad Ausmus was, from 1997-1998 and again from 2001-2008. He was a good defensive catcher and according to various women I dated in that era, really good looking. He was a good hitter at one point, .266 and .269 in 97 and 98 for the Astros, and then decided to not be a good hitter, although still hitting 40-70 points higher per season than Machete. He won 3 Gold Gloves, and was surprisingly decent in the playoffs, including a stunning game-tying home run in Game 4 of the 2005 NLDS in the 18-inning game.. He finished his career 64th in Defensive WAR at 18.7 and in 1997 led the NL in Caught Stealing % at 49.5%. He was traded to the Astros in 1996, back tot he Tigers in 1999, and yes, back to the Astros in 2000. He is thankfully NOT the Astros' GM.

Evan Gattis put on the jersey from 2015-2018, inspiring all overweight co-rec softball players in the world that you too could win a World Series ring. Listed at 6'4, 270 pounds, he played 4 years in the H, hitting 20 HR, 11 triples, and 27 HR in the wildcard year of 2015, knocking 32 home runs in 2016, and playing C/DH in the 2017 title year, hitting .263 with 12 HR and 55 RBI. He hit .400 against Boston in the 2017 ALDS and .300 in the World Series. He also hit a Game 7 home off CC Sabathia in Game 7 of the ALCS.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BCSGrubber
AG
So who fills out the opening day lineup?

2B: Hensley
CF: Chas
DH or LF: Dubon/Meyers/Dirden
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Personally if Meyers and Chaz are in the lineup I believe Meyers should be in CF
EastCoastAgNc
AG
E
AG
At the game today… Hensley at 2B today, Diaz LF, Dirden CF, Madris RF

Stros spring training stadium >>> Marlins
n_touch
Coming soon...Any of the logos can be put on it. Also looking to see if I can get extra so they can be changed in and out.

bearkatag15
AG
Our game is on MLB network FYI
OKCAg2002
AG
I'm a subscriber to YouTube TV. They raised the price for less of a product. They still haven't put MLBN back on
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Likely due to the cold temperatures
The Porkchop Express
If you guys need a post-Altuve pick me up today, know that I am drafting Joey Gallo in the first round of the Ranger fans fantasy baseball draft tonight.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Same boat...I was hoping they would get it back on there by opening day, but it doesn't look like that will happen
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Odds are good he makes the opening day roster
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Same boat...I was hoping they would get it back on there by opening day, but it doesn't look like that will happen

Xfinity cable/internet package isn't that much different than the stream tv options plus a high speed internet plan.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Xfinity cable/internet package isn't that much different than the stream tv options plus a high speed internet plan.

Unfortunately out here, there's two choices for Internet.... spectrum or Google fiber. I have Google fiber, and I don't have any real complaints about that. If you don't have a streaming tv provider, it's either spectrum or something based from a satellite dish, and the HOA says no to those. I'm kinda stuck. I might look into one of the other streaming services
First Page Last Page
Page 332 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.