*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,523 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My issue with Hearn is that he is a free pass machine. Hearn has walked over 100 batters in 222 major league innings. He must stay in the strike zone. To address Coach Taylors comments; I tend to agree that Duran can battle it out with Garver for the DH spot, because Garver has never been consistent and it feels like Duran has some real upside. However, Garver is more of your prototypical DH being big, strong, powerful etc., and Zeke is not even though he's show some real pop as well.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Well, and if we keep Duran and Smith on the roster at the same time it really gives you a good chance to rotate other players in and out of the DH spot to stay fresh. Those two can arguably fill any spot except maybe RF, 1B, and C. But you have Garver that can split backing up Heim and Lowe, and barring injury I don't see a situation where Grossman and Garcia are out of the line up at the same time so RF is covered as well.
BCSWguru
when does this become the **2023 season thread** ?
Mr Gigem
AG
LSCSN said:

when does this become the **2023 season thread** ?

When the 2023 regular season starts
Mr Gigem
AG
I'll start the new thread tomorrow morning
fc2112
Sborz is out of options, so he can't be sent down without clearing waivers. I think he gets DFAd and then traded to whoever tries to claim him.
Mr Gigem
AG
Soon

Mr Gigem
AG
Man I love this game
DannyDuberstein
AG
The smell of peanuts, beer, and freshly replenished coconut husk infill
gigem1223
Surprised no predictions yet. I'm drinking the kool-aid!

Record: 88-74
Team MVP: Corey Seager
Top Pitcher: DeGrom
Top Rookie: Cole Ragans (think he pitches his way into the rotation replacing Heaney)
Biggest overachiever: Grossman
Biggest underachiever: Heaney
AgBQ-00
AG
My prediction for the team. 90-72 make playoffs
investorAg83
AG
gigem1223 said:

Surprised no predictions yet. I'm drinking the kool-aid!

Record: 88-74
Top Rookie: Cole Ragans (think he pitches his way into the rotation replacing Heaney)
Biggest overachiever: Grossman
Biggest underachiever: Heaney

Record: 86-76 (make WC)
Top Rookie: Jung
Biggest overachiever: Gray
Biggest underachiever: the pen…I have the feeling it's going to be a rollercoaster all year long

I'm really drinking the koolaid on the offense and the starting staff…the bullpen scares the bejesus out of me.
Tksymm7
AG
I think Corey Seager could win the MVP MVP. He was the single most hurt hitter by the shift, and on top of that he's in his second year here and looks absolutely LOCKED IN. That being said I am not sure I can go much beyond 81-83 wins as the team is currently constructed. We were really bad last year at 68-94, and even with the additions we've made I think winning ~15-20 more games is a very large task. The lineup still has holes after 5 guys (Jung is a huge huge key to this season), the bullpen has large holes as well, and the starting rotation has health concerns. If everything clicks for this team and we remain healthy I could see a ceiling of maybe 88 wins, but if things go wrong possibly a floor of 78. If they can get a sure fire outfielder and another really good bullpen arm I think their ceiling could go up.
Tksymm7
AG
I love the Jon Gray pick. I think he could have a really stellar season if he can stay healthy.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Barring a complete health meltdown to the starting rotation, this team is one of the wild cards. Grossman is a big improvement that stabilizes LF, Bubba is what I would draw up as a fourth OF, Brad Miller can contribute now that he's healthy and Mitch Garver is actually an option now.

Duran and Smith have a year under their belts, Semien and Seager are at the top of the league at their positions, Lowe is a returning Silver Slugger and Jung is our top prospect.

Man, bring this on.
cmiller00
AG
cmiller00
AG
Flounder Dorfman
AG
What is the point of Travis Jankowski?
gigem1223
This organization and its love for old outfielders that suck.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
gigem1223 said:

This organization and its love for old outfielders that suck.

Absolutely worthless use of a roster spot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would rather have Sebastian Janikowski
Tksymm7
AG
If and when Taveras and Sborz come off the IL, they will have to decide on someone to kick to the curve because that's too many guys on the 40-man.
rbtexan
S
If I were Travis Jankowski, I don't think I'd be in a huge rush to buy a house and unpack. I don't think he'll be here long.

IMO that's an insurance move in case Taveras doesn't rebound from the injury soon. Sborz needs to be DFAd, he's had plenty of opportunities to show something and hasn't. I really hope this team/organization can get past the point of guys like Jankowski and Sborz even being in consideration for roster spots.
Jimbo Franchione
Flounder Dorfman
AG
rbtexan said:

If I were Travis Jankowski, I don't think I'd be in a huge rush to buy a house and unpack. I don't think he'll be here long.

IMO that's an insurance move in case Taveras doesn't rebound from the injury soon. Sborz needs to be DFAd, he's had plenty of opportunities to show something and hasn't. I really hope this team/organization can get past the point of guys like Jankowski and Sborz even being in consideration for roster spots.

Yeah but it's weird that Levi says the Taveras injury opened a spot to keep Thompson, Duran and Smith. My hope is that he goes away once Taveras is back. Unless we're trying to start up a hair band building around him and Smith, I don't get the point of this.
Tksymm7
AG
My only thought is that they don't want to put Adolis Garcia in CF and they really want to avoid playing Backyard Brad in the outfield, period. Jankowski would give us 5 outfielders: Garcia, Grossman, Thompson, Miller, and Jankowski, with Taveras on the IL for a week or so. I also get the feeling that this roster is going to change quite a bit.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I think you're right.
DallasAg 94
PatAg
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

Barring a complete health meltdown to the starting rotation, this team is one of the wild cards. Grossman is a big improvement that stabilizes LF, Bubba is what I would draw up as a fourth OF, Brad Miller can contribute now that he's healthy and Mitch Garver is actually an option now.

Duran and Smith have a year under their belts, Semien and Seager are at the top of the league at their positions, Lowe is a returning Silver Slugger and Jung is our top prospect.

Man, bring this on.
Just excited to maybe get to enjoy some good baseball this year
Mr Gigem
AG
EOT

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.