*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,524 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Same with my son.

His really started when he was 12. After 1st period at school (private christian) his friend showed him a meme being sent around from a pic taken of him that morning as he entered the school. The pic was just an ordinary pic... nothing special, but the caption was quite ugly. He didn't have social media but got accounts so he could make sure things weren't being spread about him.

Has no use for religion, now.

Covid further isolated him.

School's been a big stressor for our daughter as well. Luckily it's mostly to do with it being crowded and her being overstimulated but we've had a few issues with kids. Middle school is brutal.
KT 90
AG
FYI: if you have Bally, Rangers are on now. Rare spring training night game.
fc2112
Duran with bg night last night - really making a play to be on the big league club.
Tksymm7
AG
He's making it damn near impossible to keep him off the team right now. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but I think I've seen more out of Duran than I have from Jung in his time with the Rangers. Not saying Jung has been bad or wont be a stud, but Duran has impressed me at every turn. The kid can play.
cmiller00
AG
He's hungry like the wolf.
Tksymm7
AG
With how poor Josh Lowe is at 1st, I wonder if we could start working Jung in over there, have Duran play 3rd, and let Lowe DH more. Jung also doesn't strike me as a long term 3rd baseman even though he's considerably better than Lowe is at 1st. I understand that Mitch Garver is going to catch some and DH even more, but I would really like to flesh that out because Mitch Garver isn't a long-term plan.
rbtexan
S
With Duran, you have to measure if it would be better for him to get ABs in AAA than sitting on the bench in the majors. Makes more sense with Smith, because he profiles as a utility guy anyway, but Duran could be an impact starter eventually. I wouldn't have to make that decision, it's a tough call either way.

I've been able to watch a lot of the games on the MLB app this spring....Jung has played great defensively at 3rd, I'm not worried about him there. He's also hitting great. Grossman has also been hitting lights out and has won the LF job it looks like. There's a possibility that instead of being on the IL, Tavares gets platooned in CF to start, resting against (I think) lefties because his injury only affects one side.

Getting down to the wire on these roster decisions, and somebody who deserves to make the team won't - possibly several players. And that's a good thing, much better than "he sucks but he's the best we have available".
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
DeGrom vs Nola opening day
Tksymm7
AG
You bring up a good point. Is he probably good enough to make the opening day roster, yes. But if they can't get him consistent at-bats because of his position and what not, then he's better off starting in AAA and getting consistent AB's. To address Jung at 3rd, I think he's a good fielder and find nothing wrong with him there. I just think he's already a big man at 25, and as he gets older he may morph into a 1st baseman body wise, but that's just speculation though. Grossman has absolutely earned the right to be the everyday LF too.
DallasAg 94
Where are we with roster spots? I haven't been following closely.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I feel like things should be just about set. Except for the long guys in the Pen.

Which leads to this question… would anyone be open to having Heaney in the bullpen and having Dunning take the 5th starter role? Dunning usually takes an inning or so to get rolling which is pretty normal for those junk ball grounder pitchers. But Heaney has a history of being a swing guy anyways and he only pitched about 70 something innings last year.
Tksymm7
AG
I'm out on Dunning as a starter or reliever. I just don't think he had the necessary stuff or command.
DallasAg 94
If I'm correct, they are down to 31, so 5 more by Opening Day.

Infield (7)
C (2): Heim, Garver (+DH)
1B: Lowe
2B: Semien
3B:
SS: Seager
Util:
Remaining: Duran (3B), Jung (3B), Smith (Util)
I think we keep all 3.

Outfield (5)
LF: Grossman
CF:
RF: Adolis
Util:
DH:
Remaining: Brad Miller (DH), Leodys Taveras, Thompson
Might send Taveras to IR to start season?

Pitching (14?)
SP (5): deGrom, Eovaldi, Perez, Heaney, Gray
RP (9?): (R) Barlow, Hernandez, Leclerc (CL); (L) Hearne

Remaining P:
(R) Howard (25), Otto (26), Sborz (28)
(L) Burke (25), King (27), Ragans (24), Will Smith (32)
IL: Odorizzi

And then there is Ian Kennedy?!

I think they end up with 8 IF, 5 OF, 5 SP, 8 RP
Additions: Jung (3B), Smith (UIF), Duran (UIF)

DFA: Sborz, Howard, Otto, Ragans. Then, Odorizzi & Taveras to the IR.
rbtexan
S

Quote:

DFA: Sborz, Howard, Otto, Ragans. Then, Odorizzi & Taveras to the IR.
Why would you DFA Ragans and Otto when they still have options?
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
Then Option them.

I don't always know the terminology.
rbtexan
S
Just clarifying what you meant. When you DFA a player, they are immediately removed from the 40 man roster and you have 7 days to trade them or put them on irrevocable waivers.
Jimbo Franchione
MrCoachEricTaylor
I like how you aren't questioning DFAing Sporz and Howard though lol
MrCoachEricTaylor
He went through a good stretch of success last year at one point. I'm interested in seeing how he'd do after his hip surgery. I think at the bare minimum he's an asset as a #6 or #7 starter.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Just clarifying what you meant. When you DFA a player, they are immediately removed from the 40 man roster and you have 7 days to trade them or put them on irrevocable waivers.
No worries.

It always seemed to me that DFA was a more general term that covers options. If a player had Options, I thought a DFA would include sending him to the minors. If he didn't have any Options, it would be the waiver period before a release.

Revocable Waiver is only after the trade deadline, correct. I guess I could look it up.
AgBQ-00
AG
I've thought Ian Kennedy has looked good when I've seen him this spring. Think he's a good piece in the pen. Iirc he can stretch for long relief or spot starts
Schall 02
AG
I hadn't been to Surprise Stadium in 10 years until yesterday, and i was pretty underwhelmed. Great seats, fun team, but man that stadium and its BFE suburban location are the pits. I wanted to buy Rangers swag for the whole fam and, well, the selection was terrible.

Old man yelling at clouds, but man Spring Training is so great that when there's a dud it really stands out.
alvtimes
Degrom on the bump today.
cmiller00
AG
Is it on TV anywhere?
cmiller00
AG
Got it on MLB app.
AgBQ-00
AG
It's on bally sports as well
Tksymm7
AG
deGeom absolutely mowing them down
Tksymm7
AG
Duran homered again today and deGrom was pretty sharp in his tune up game before opening day. Taylor Hearn was terrible.
DeangeloVickers
AG
https://www.mlb.com/mlbpaa/membership/fans

MLB.TV 50 percent discount*
KT 90
AG
Otto and Odorizzi update:

alvtimes
Ok Mr Gigem…. start throwing bullpens along with co-workers…we gonna need a team effort nxt few days as we struggle to Opening day……. no more injuries!!!!
MrCoachEricTaylor
Looks like the first game of the year we'll see the city connect uni is April 21st
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I hope the City Connect uniforms look good. I dislike most of them. The Cubs blue uniforms look like pajamas. I think most of the ones from last year look ok, even Colorado's. I can't believe I'm saying this but Houston's are the best so far in my opinion.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't LOVE the all navy blue, but in terms of overall design I agree that Houston's are the best. Atlanta just released theirs this morning, and I really like what they did. Just a modern take on a classic look for that franchise. I hope we see something similar with the Rangers, but I have my doubts.
fc2112
deGrom v. Nola Thursday

Can't wait. Most excited I've been for Opening Day ina. Long time. First time to go since 2018.
fc2112
BTW - all charges against John Wetteland dropped. But he's now been smeared for life.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.