*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,497 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is awesome
MrCoachEricTaylor
AgBQ-00 said:

fc2112 said:

Mix in more action on the field and games are more entertaining.

I'm surprised with how I've enjoyed the changes so far. But in all honesty, we're still talking about a game where succeeding 3 out of 10 times puts you in the hall of fame. So there's only so much you can do with out REALLY changing the game up.
AgBQ-00
AG
even the modest gains in stolen bases/attempts and base hits serve to build tension and action on the field. It is why traditional style of playing the game of solid contact and focus on getting on base is more enjoyable than the 2 true outcome style of swing for the moon or strike out.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I get that completely. I don't think we're going to see the same time results for regular season games with the addition of commercial breaks. I get that pitchers need warmup pitches but a 90 second break every half inning will decrease the time saved. Maybe not by much but some.

Also, very happy to see more SBs and hits. This game needs action and movement. Multiple HRs per game with empty bases doesn't move the needle for a lot of people, myself included. I love the concept of stealing bases and manufacturing runs, it has been a lost art for many years. I hope we get back to that because it is a heck of a lot more exciting than watching 1-9 swing for the fences every AB.
Tksymm7
AG
I do agree that regular season games will undoubtedly be a bit longer because of the nature of spring training games and being "not real" or "let's get through these," but I don't think it will increase a ton. I could see going from ~2:30 hours to ~2:45, but I think it will stay within a pretty tight window.

KT 90
AG
Someone was asking about Josh Jung the other day. This is HR #2 of the Spring, Seems to be hitting better of late, avg. now at .261

Tksymm7
AG
His swing is definitely coming together. Also, he's THICC, and not in a fat or overweight way.
rbtexan
S
This just in....Josh Sborz is still terrible
Jimbo Franchione
MrCoachEricTaylor
And I don't disagree with that! I find that much more entertaining than home run derby style games.
fc2112
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I get that completely. I don't think we're going to see the same time results for regular season games with the addition of commercial breaks.
Once again, the comparison is spring training last year to spring training this year, so time added by commercials is moot.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Perez is pitching for Venezuela right now.
Tksymm7
AG
Living in the edges currently
Quincey P. Morris
AG
As he should be.
Tksymm7
AG
You can get Corey Seager at around +2000 for AL MVP right now…just saying.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Perez ends with 57 pitches through 3 1/3 with on run. Not bad against a Dominican All Star team.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Astro going up and in twice on THE Astro.
investorAg83
AG
Robbie Grossman is quietly having a pretty good spring.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't know what they're going to do with the outfield spots, because I'm not sure Grossman, Jankowski etc. are even on the 40 man.
rbtexan
S
Grossman is on the 40
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
Okay thank God. I thought when they brought him in he was a non roster invite. This is good news!
rbtexan
S
If they need a spot, I'd look for Sborz to be DFAd
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
Please. Sborz is freaking rollercoaster. I get it that he has great stuff, but his stuff finds it's way in the middle of the zone and over the fence way too often.
Tksymm7
AG
I'm so sick of talking about how the Ags got absolutely hosed, so I'll talk baseball instead.

Justin Foscue continues to do nothing but absolutely pound the baseball. He's developing a bat that you find a spot for in the lineup. Additionally, Ezequiel Duran continues to mash the baseball as well. I see no way how he's not on the 26-man roster with the way he's hitting the baseball right now.
rbtexan
S
JMO here, but...
Foscue will be in AAA unless he's traded or there's an injury. Duran has an uphill battle because he doesn't really play SS and Smith does.

Both of them are having great springs, but it'll be tough for them to make the team....Foscue in particular. Keeping more pitchers = smaller bench. Need backups that can play multiple positions. Foscue is probably a DH, and would be a good one. Just no room for one on the roster.

Again, JMO
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
It's definitely an uphill battle no doubt, and I didn't think Foscue was going to make it out of camp anyways. But, it brings up question; what are we going to do with these guys? I really really like Duran, but you've got to find a spot for him in the field. Foscue is probably a trade piece, but when are we going to start trading these guys and for who?

I love Adolis but he's north of 30, and around a .250 hitter. Do we have a guy who's an upgrade or could we get one? We need outfielders.
rbtexan
S
Evan Carter and Aaron Zavala...but they both need another year in the minors.

Carter got sent down but made a hell of an impression. I'll bet he's in Arlington before the end of summer.
Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
Since we are apparently going to platoon left field, only one backup infielder will make it and that ought to be Smith. Plays more positions and frankly his top level, IMHO, is as a utility infielder.
Tksymm7
AG
You're right, utility is the only reason he'll be making this team because I don't think he's ever going to be much of a hitter (at least in the power department). To his credit, I think he can play a plus SS and 3rd.
rbtexan
S
He's also solid in LF and CF, which offers even more flexibility.
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
If you had to pick four/five outfielders to be on the roster right now, who would they be? They really need another right handed bat from one of the outfield spots, because ideally they'd like to platoon LF based on pitching matchup (unless someone just completely takes the job), but right now I think we're going to get Backyard Brad and Grossman, both lefties.
rbtexan
S
Grossman is a switch hitter. OF of Adolis, Taveras, Grossman and Thompson. Grossman hits better right handed, Miller or Smith would face tough RHP.
Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
Am I the only person totally disinterested in the WBC?
Tksymm7
AG
The lineups are very fun and very good, but the pitching is so sub-par that it brings the quality/interest down for me. Mitchell Bratt, a 19 year old kid (rangers prospect) had to start against team USA yesterday and he got one out. A 19 year old kid against future HOFers just isn't it for me.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Yeah, I think it depends on the teams that are playing. Once we get to games with the DR, Venezuela, Mexico, or the US it would get a little more entertaining.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The T on one of Great Britain's pitchers literally fell of their horribly generic jersey.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpxoDyJjZEf/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.