*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,454 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure it benefits you, or I hope it does, but thanks for posting it here every year.
TwoTimeAg
AG
A&M Rangers cap night tickets are now on sale. You must buy through the Community nights link on order to get the cap. Friday, August 4th against the Marlins.
gigem1223
Cole Winn with 1 IP, 3 Ks

Evan Carter having a nice spring so far also
Tksymm7
AG
At this rate, I think Zeke Duran is our utility player.
rbtexan
S
Don't think it will be Duran. Bench will probably be Miller and Smith. I think they'll want Duran getting regular PT because he has more upside than Smith long-term. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
Schall 02
AG
Nice write up on Ragans increased velocity in The Athletic.
Tksymm7
AG
He's been excellent this spring
bmac_aggie18
AG
Schall 02 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Honestly some of these injuries just blow my mind. Like what on earth is neck tightness and side soreness don't even know where to begin haha

You ever tried to throw a baseball 95 mph? 100 times? Over and over?

You bet I tried! Succeeded…different story
MrCoachEricTaylor
And worked his way out of a jam. Last K came with multiple runners on base.
KT 90
AG
FYI: there have been questions here about this, look for Evan's upcoming writeup for some possible answers:

KT 90
AG
I lol'd at this that someone retweeted. Gallo is still facing a shift, with a twist:

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Dude just needs to choke way up and punch the ball into left at this point. I know the argument has been that singles are pointless for a lot of guys, but this is begging for a double every time up.
ryanhnc10
AG
Not sure they really need to shift anyway. He hardly ever hits the ball
rbtexan
S
If anybody could figure out a way to strike out into the shift, it would be Joey Gallo
Jimbo Franchione
AgBQ-00
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Not sure they really need to shift anyway. He hardly ever hits the ball

Could you imagine the weapon he would be if he had any semblance of bat control or strike zone discipline
Tksymm7
AG
His strike zone discipline isn't even the big issue, it's his whiff rate that is the problem. His whiff rate is historically bad.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Two minutes of Joey Gallo bunting against the shift. Funny, I don't remember any of these when he was with the Rangers.

I've wondered if teams would start pulling the LF to fill that hole in shallow right.

vander54
S
He did it a few times but I always wished he did it more
World's worst proofreader
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, he should have been doing it every time, or at least every time with less than 2 outs. Run expectancy from 1st with no outs is close to 50%. With 1 out it is 28%. Even with 2 outs he's more valuable on 1st than swinging away, because that's around 12-13%. He's got great speed, so he's a real threat on base

Not sexy but the math says do it. And eventually they would have started shifting a ton less
rbtexan
S
Rangers add a big piece to the bullpen by signing Will Smith.
Jimbo Franchione
investorAg83
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, he should have been doing it every time, or at least every time with less than 2 outs. Run expectancy from 1st with no outs is close to 50%. With 1 out it is 28%. Even with 2 outs he's more valuable on 1st than swinging away, because that's around 12-13%. He's got great speed, so he's a real threat on base

Not sexy but the math says do it. And eventually they would have started shifting a ton less

Not debating these numbers, but Daniel Murphy and a few others shared their thoughts a couple years ago and it was pretty interesting. I read this recently and can't remember if it was shared on Texags or somewhere else.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24049347/mlb-hitters-explain-why-just-beat-shift
DannyDuberstein
AG
I get the logic they are attempting about "well, I did u a favor if I just go to 1st because I still need 2-3 hits to get home", but the math just doesn't hold up behind it.

I also agree that just hitting it the other way is much easier said than done. That said, squaring around with a firm bunt is not that difficult. I think doing it enough to make them respect it is still the play, especially with no outs or 1 out.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Switched over to the sip game after the Ags to hear the Fullerton crew talking about how the Rangers moved from TBIA a great distance from the Arlington/Dallas area. Who knew across the street was such a massive journey?
Farmer1906
AG
Thought y'all might enjoy this.

Tksymm7
AG
The best baseball podcast hands down. Entertaining and informative.
Tksymm7
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Thought y'all might enjoy this.

Finally got to listen. I think they're spot on, for the most part. I think we're going to pitch, health obviously being important. Our lineup is extremely top heavy though, and there's going to be a ton of pressure on guys like Jung, Heim, Thompson/Taveras, Miller etc. to produce at a decent enough clip. If we're going to make the playoffs, we're going to have to improve by 15-20 games minimum, but good news is that we can't possibly be as bad in one run games is we were last year.
Mr Gigem
AG
On a personal note, I just submitted an offer for my first home purchase. Fingers crossed!
Farmer1906
AG
Last in this thread & I'm removing the watchlist. Good luck. First home buy is a lot of fun.
Mr Gigem
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Last in this thread & I'm removing the watchlist. Good luck. First home buy is a lot of fun.

Thanks, Son
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

On a personal note, I just submitted an offer for my first home purchase. Fingers crossed!

Congrats. Probably good timing on your part, things have cooled down some and you should be in a good position.
vander54
S
Anyone want to do a free fantasy baseball league on ESPN?
investorAg83
AG
vander54 said:

If you need a body, I could be in. Haven't done fantasy baseball in decades.

Are they weekly lineups or would I have to change it daily?
MrCoachEricTaylor
I might be willing as well. Never done baseball, but have done football plenty of times
vander54
S
investorAg83 said:

vander54 said:

If you need a body, I could be in. Haven't done fantasy baseball in decades.

Are they weekly lineups or would I have to change it daily?

I usually do daily but I haven't created the league yet so I would like to see who's interested and what format y'all want.

H2H or roto? Weekly updates or daily?
KT 90
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.