*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,490 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bring back Fox Sports Southwest. It's only been gone a couple of years, but the music already has some serious nostalgia for me.

Random side conversation: On what media do you first remember taking in the Rangers? Mine is when they played on KXTX 39 with Junior Miller on the pregame show. We didn't have cable for most of my childhood growing up, so it was always a treat when they'd be on 39 or 27 (and I think 21 for a few years). When they played on cable I'd take our beat up radio outside and listen to Eric Nadel and Vince Cotroneo and shoot baskets.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The bulk I first recall was Channel 11 KTVT (before it was CBS) along with HSE on cable (RIP Merle Harmon). That was mid 80s. I think they had some Channel 5 KXAS games too, but if I recall, that was mainly Saturday. I remember home games mostly being HSE and road games being Ch 11
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I first remember listening to Rangers games in the late 70s/early 80s on WBAP. My grandparents lived in an old farm house and I slept in a spare bed in their bedroom when we visited. My grandad laid in bed every night listening to the Rangers smoking cigarettes. All you could see was the light from the radio and his lit cigarette.

I fist remember watching on Channel 11 and back then, you only could watch away games. We'd get to see 81 games per season. My dad and I would watch almost every night. These days, I bet I watch all or most of about 100 games per season. I hope we don't lose that anytime soon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, back in the day, if they were home, they pretty much wanted you buying a ticket to see them. When cable came along via HSE, then they at least had a mechanism to get some money out of you for home games on tv via cable fees while the road games remained free over the air via Ch 11
jtstanley4621
AG
Bally Sports sucked. Good riddance
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The bulk I first recall was Channel 11 KTVT (before it was CBS) along with HSE on cable (RIP Merle Harmon). That was mid 80s. I think they had some Channel 5 KXAS games too, but if I recall, that was mainly Saturday. I remember home games mostly being HSE and road games being Ch 11

Ah yes, HSE was a godsend back in the day. Prior to that there were only a small number of games televised each season, and those were only road games.
Mr Gigem
AG
Wouldn't be shocked if Apple or Amazon picked up streaming rights
jtstanley4621
AG
The money that the local commercial/company deals produce complicate contract negotiations right? At least that's what I always assumed.

Either way here's hoping the rangers are easier to watch next season and that the broadcast production gets a facelift. It looked like they were inside a UFC cage last season whenever I would tune in
KT 90
AG
fc2112
Mr Gigem said:

Personal preference would be Amazon, but either would work.

The Rangers are 8 years into a 20 years deal with Fox (picked up by Bally) that supposedly pays something like $75-$80 MM a year for local broadcast rights. It will be interesting to see if some other deal can match that kind of $ or if the Rangers are gonna have to take a haircut.

This is also assuming Bally doesn't owe the Rangers $ now. Sounds like their bankruptcy is focused on debt repayment, so hopefully the Rangers are whole right now.
Mr Gigem
AG
fc2112 said:

Mr Gigem said:

The Rangers are 8 years into a 20 years deal with Fox (picked up by Bally) that supposedly pays something like $75-$80 MM a year for local broadcast rights. It will be interesting to see if some other deal can match that kind of $ or if the Rangers are gonna have to take a haircut.

This is also assuming Bally doesn't owe the Rangers $ now. Sounds like their bankruptcy is focused on debt repayment, so hopefully the Rangers are whole right now.
MLB won't just let this happen. Services like Amazon and Apple are champing at the bit to get a piece of the action. See the Friday night broadcasts on AppleTV and Thursday night NFL broadcast on Amazon. They've got a small taste now already. If places like that can get an even bigger piece of the pie, they will be all over it.
DeangeloVickers
AG
MLB sucks at big picture. They need MORE viewers.

They are putting themselves on the longhorn network and limiting to ONLY MLB fans. They need others to watch and grow!!
vander54
S
DeangeloVickers said:

They are putting themselves on the longhorn network and limiting to ONLY MLB fans. They need others to watch and grow!!

Agreed. If you want it to grow you need to make it easier to watch not harder. Put a few games on a week on Fox, ABC, etc and then some more on ESPN. The rest can be regional that's fine.
World's worst proofreader
fc2112
Mr Gigem said:

fc2112 said:

Mr Gigem said:

MLB won't just let this happen. Services like Amazon and Apple are champing at the bit to get a piece of the action. See the Friday night broadcasts on AppleTV and Thursday night NFL broadcast on Amazon. They've got a small taste now already. If places like that can get an even bigger piece of the pie, they will be all over it.
I certainly hope you're right. You understand the economics of it better than I, but if Bally cannot make money at $75 MM per year for local rights, would Amazon be able to do so by paying more?

I don't doubt the people at Amazon are 100X smarter than Bally, but not sure if the demand is there to justify the money.
AgBQ-00
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

This is exactly right. They have got to get their product to more people.
cmiller00
AG
With a limited distribution it is probably hard to sell advertising. There was some talk about a Amazon creating its own live sports app. If so they'll need content. Will be interesting to watch.
gigem1223
Building some veteran depth the last couple days signing Duffy, Kennedy, Frazier.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Building some veteran depth the last couple days signing Duffy, Kennedy, Frazier.

Been busy and missed those, here is a brief recap from Evan Grant. Also saw that we added the OF Jankowski that used to be with SD.

KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

gigem1223 said:

Been busy and missed those, here is a brief recap from Evan Grant. Also saw that we added the OF Jankowski that used to be with SD.

Grant later updated that Duffy is actually a LHP.

alvtimes
I wonder what kinda money Matt Moore is looking for??????
MrCoachEricTaylor
Kinda excited about Clint Frazier
investorAg83
AG
Although younger, I feel like he's a right handed Kole Calhoun. I was kinda excited about him too. Hope Frazier meets those expectations and doesn't just have one good month like Kole did.
alvtimes
Circling back to the Ballys issue and Ranger watching '23…. we pretty much keep Direct TV for the Ballys access…. but does anyone know if Ballys is gonna disappear from the Direct tv guide as MLB season approaches? I can kick D tv to the curb in a heartbeat but I dont mind paying for Rangers access there if it will be available.
fc2112
No one knows right now. That's the rub. That's why I'm waiting on my Fubo decision.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
alvtimes said:

Circling back to the Ballys issue and Ranger watching '23…. we pretty much keep Direct TV for the Ballys access…. but does anyone know if Ballys is gonna disappear from the Direct tv guide as MLB season approaches? I can kick D tv to the curb in a heartbeat but I dont mind paying for Rangers access there if it will be available.

I'm in the same boat. Only have DTv for Bally access. Otherwise, I'd go back to YouTubeTV.
AgBQ-00
AG
Same boat. We keep DTV for rangers and tennis channel. If we can get those elsewhere we will
alvtimes
I know Im way ahead but Im trying to make sure I understand correctly…… Rangers lose their 4th to Mets in 23 draft for signing DeGrom…. someone tell me if Im right/wrong
rbtexan
S
No...they lose their 2nd round pick.
Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
Mural just unveiled in Arlington yesterday. 611 W. Park Row Drive, west side of building.

https://www.facebook.com/FortWorthMurals

Schall 02
AG
fc2112 said:

Mural just unveiled in Arlington yesterday. 611 W. Park Row Drive, west side of building.

I mean it's funny but also kind of sad that our accomplishments are so ... limited?
KT 90
AG
Maybe Odor owns the building. Doubtful I know...
PatAg
AG
Schall 02 said:

fc2112 said:

I mean it's funny but also kind of sad that our accomplishments are so ... limited?
its not that deep
fc2112
What I find impressive is the guy spray painted all that. He's really talented.
AgBQ-00
AG
Just a bit over a week until pitchers and catchers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.